collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mt. View Unit  (Read 42981 times)

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: Mt. View Unit
« Reply #225 on: October 18, 2018, 10:07:35 AM »
Dang interesting. I have been shooting them for about 15 years and never had it happen either. I would guess condensation is probably correct.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2019, 10:09:13 AM »
So was there lots more people who put in for this tag? How is scouting going? Is the country more than you expected?

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2019, 12:17:11 PM »
So was there lots more people who put in for this tag? How is scouting going? Is the country more than you expected?
I'm really looking forward to seeing the numbers if it really increased or not.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #228 on: August 18, 2019, 10:35:11 PM »
be a lot of disappointed people drawing that tag when they see that country. Pretty common theme when people draw and then see what they got themselves into

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #229 on: August 19, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »
be a lot of disappointed people drawing that tag when they see that country. Pretty common theme when people draw and then see what they got themselves into
I'll be there for a week with a friend.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #230 on: August 19, 2019, 09:45:54 PM »
goodluck and have fun! cool place to hunt

Offline bigbullshedhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #231 on: August 20, 2019, 06:49:04 AM »
you will have a blast on the full 20 off the amount of elk you will see and bugling. It was the best elk hunt I have ever been on to this day insane amount of bugling.

I dunno what your camping situation is, but there are pay showers at field springs state park
keep in mind the elk population was a decent herd when you had the archery tag. Last year the elk population in the unit wasnt even half as many elk as when you archery hunted. And from last year to this year the population has had a 40% decrease. Its goin downhill fast.

Offline bigbullshedhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #232 on: August 20, 2019, 06:53:25 AM »
I def doesn't help that the cougar population is 10x what is suppose to be in this area and the wolves are here year round. Along with the Indians going up and slaughtering em these elk dont stand a chance. Pretty sad.   

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #233 on: August 20, 2019, 07:02:05 AM »
 :bash: :bash: :bash:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #234 on: August 20, 2019, 09:55:59 PM »
had the archery tag in 2012 and muzzy last year and it was right on par with 2012. I had some basins with 8-12 bulls screaming. Every single bottom I hunted had bulls. The only difference I noticed between the 2 years was quality, but still some very good bulls. Could of also had something to do with rut winding down by the time muzzy ended. Big difference from Sept 22 to Sept 29th

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2019, 07:06:18 AM »
Man you are lucky at drawing, congrats!  I drew a bull moose tag before any blues elk tags  :chuckle:, not really funny but I guess I have to laugh about it.  Did you kill good bulls?  I know talking with nwhunter who guides over there, that the herd is cut in half. Predators are fat.

Online dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »
Everyone talks about wolves, cougars and Indians doing all of the damage in the blues.  I have a Dayton modern rifle bull tag this year.  I called and talked to Paul Wick the game biologist in the blues about the elk numbers.  He says the Dayton area has half as many elk as it had two years ago.  He said that the wolves, cougars, and Indians do take some animals but the massive super fast decline was not caused by them.  He said it was from two terrible winters and a super dry summer last year and just about zero calf survival with minimal cows carrying calves and those that did, the calves didn't survive the winter.  He said the elk in the blues that did survive were nothing but skin and bones in March.  He said the fallacy that I have heard on this forum many times, "that all of the elk have left the high country and are in the lower private areas because the wolves have chased them down" isn't correct.  The reason people are seeing more animals in the lower private areas is due to them getting late winter food from the hay stacks and fields where the mountain elk didn't have that opportunity and starved.

Now with this said, I am not sure who is correct or if it is a combination of the both.  I was told the numbers were so low on calf survival the last two years that he would be surprised if anyone at all would be able to find a year and a half old spike at all during the general seasons in most of the blues.

He said that they figure 5 to 6 wolves are in and out of the Dayton area and approximately 30 cougars work the area.  He said the Indians don't get to far off of the main roads but its hard to tell because they have absolutely no requirements to report their harvest numbers and they are adamant that they will never report or tell WDFW what, how many, and where they hunt and kill big game.

Just my personal opinion is that, yes the two last years have had a terrible impact on the elk.  Due to the lack of predator control and out of control Indian hunting, the chance of any kind of speedy recovery is hard to foresee or imagine.  Sad!
Zonk Volmer

Offline jeffitz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »
Everyone talks about wolves, cougars and Indians doing all of the damage in the blues.  I have a Dayton modern rifle bull tag this year.  I called and talked to Paul Wick the game biologist in the blues about the elk numbers.  He says the Dayton area has half as many elk as it had two years ago.  He said that the wolves, cougars, and Indians do take some animals but the massive super fast decline was not caused by them.  He said it was from two terrible winters and a super dry summer last year and just about zero calf survival with minimal cows carrying calves and those that did, the calves didn't survive the winter.  He said the elk in the blues that did survive were nothing but skin and bones in March.  He said the fallacy that I have heard on this forum many times, "that all of the elk have left the high country and are in the lower private areas because the wolves have chased them down" isn't correct.  The reason people are seeing more animals in the lower private areas is due to them getting late winter food from the hay stacks and fields where the mountain elk didn't have that opportunity and starved.

Now with this said, I am not sure who is correct or if it is a combination of the both.  I was told the numbers were so low on calf survival the last two years that he would be surprised if anyone at all would be able to find a year and a half old spike at all during the general seasons in most of the blues.

He said that they figure 5 to 6 wolves are in and out of the Dayton area and approximately 30 cougars work the area.  He said the Indians don't get to far off of the main roads but its hard to tell because they have absolutely no requirements to report their harvest numbers and they are adamant that they will never report or tell WDFW what, how many, and where they hunt and kill big game.

Just my personal opinion is that, yes the two last years have had a terrible impact on the elk.  Due to the lack of predator control and out of control Indian hunting, the chance of any kind of speedy recovery is hard to foresee or imagine.  Sad!
for what its worth - i called the bio for the Naches area a couple months ago and he told me the same thing when i asked why the Bull permit numbers are so drastically reduced
If you're gonna be dumb,you gotta be tough.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #238 on: August 21, 2019, 11:29:28 AM »
Is there an habitual jerky maker in Idaho too???

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #239 on: August 21, 2019, 02:22:15 PM »
I don't recall seeing many, if any calves, on my hunt.

The hunting may be worse than it previously was, but, IMO, its still better than an OTC tag in WA.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]