collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Yellowstone  (Read 4436 times)

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Yellowstone
« on: July 08, 2018, 07:15:23 PM »
We are going to be making a trip to Yellowstone. We have ordered books, maps, tour guides, etc. The major tourist things are covered. What things that are maybe not so well known would you dub "must see" at the park?

We also plan check out the Tetons and Jackson Hole so same question for that park too. Our time there will be limited as I only set aside one day for that adventure.

Offline Scheindogg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Yellowstone
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 07:25:18 PM »
I know there are boardwalks at pretty much every stop, but the boardwalks behind old faithful are a must.

All sorts of different geysers and stuff back there, look for the “beehive”. The beehive geyser  goes about 50ft higher than old faithful but much less frequently (sometimes only every 7 days). We were lucky enough to see it go off and it was amazing.

Btw there are many lengths of trail near old faithful but the section I went to I’m talking about would be behind and to the left of old faithful if you’re looking at it from the restaurant/parking side
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline Wingin it

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 09:25:44 PM »
 :tup: Old Faithful is definitely on "the list" so we'll definitely take your advice and check out the boardwalks while we are there.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 09:37:42 PM »
Dragon's Breath Cave and  Artist Point. 

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 09:48:34 PM »
Uncle Tom’s Trail in the Grand Canyon and Dragons Breath Cave as mentioned.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline royalhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:03:01 PM »
I was fortunate enough to live and work inside the park in the summer of 2004, and have a few special places to check out but they depend on when are you planning on going.

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
Uncle Tom’s Trail in the Grand Canyon and Dragons Breath Cave as mentioned.

:yeah: also, don't know which entrances you plan on taking, but the NE entrance and beartooth pass to Cooke City, MT is stunning!
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
Make sure you visit the Old Faithful Inn. It is a pretty impressive hundred plus year old log structure supposedly the largest in the world. I was last there in 1988 on the day the massive Yellowstone fire started. I often wonder if that cigarette butt I threw out the window had anything to do with the fire...

Offline FWilliams

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 10:35:47 AM »
If you make it to old faithful have lunch at the bear pit inside the inn. food comes out of the same kitchen as the main restaurant and great beers on tap.

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 10:40:30 AM »

:yeah: also, don't know which entrances you plan on taking, but the NE entrance and beartooth pass to Cooke City, MT is stunning!
[/quote]

:yeah: i have been in and out of every entrance to Yellowstone, this is an adventure in it's self  :tup:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 11:23:48 AM »

:yeah: i have been in and out of every entrance to Yellowstone, this is an adventure in it's self  :tup:
[/quote]

:yeah:  I've also been in and out of every entrance, and I would be happy just driving to and from the NE entrance to the Lamar Valley every day.  The wildlife viewing is like Northwest Trek, much more so than the rest of the Park.  One time we stayed in Cooke City (just outside the entrance), and I could glass goats every day from the house we rented.  Beer in hand with the spotter, pretty awesome way to spend an evening.  On the way into the Park, goats are usually visible on the cliffs to the right.  We saw black bears most days.  Bison are so plentiful in and around the Lamar Valley they get boring.  Same with antelope.  Saw a wolf in the Lamar.  Just an incredible place.

We also did a one day trip to Grand Teton.  We took the ferry across Jenny Lake and took a short hike (like 2 miles) up into the Tetons.  It was a great way to spend an afternoon.  Here's a view along the way, you can see the ferry at the bottom.

Offline Wingin it

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »
It will be early September and we will likely use the NW or West entrance. Doesn't mean we can't take a drive out to the NE entrance of its that spectacular to see. Thanks for the input so far, I will add them all to my list and see how much we can check off of it along the way. We are really looking forward to the trip.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 08:08:36 PM »
The lodge is really cool.  Lamar Valley is amazing depending what season you are in.

You really can't go wrong at the Park, just don't get in a hurry as nobody else will be and you will be driving/walking/whatever at a very relaxed pace most of the time.

Offline royalhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 08:46:40 PM »
The park really starts to slow down with people and traffic that first week of September. In the evening you can hear the elk buggling in the meadows around Canyon junction. The Norris campground had its own group of Bulls that hung out throughout the summer too. Drive through mammoth hot springs to see Bulls keeping tabs on their cows. The hot spring formations you can find there are quite spectacular as well. Have a buffalo burger at Helens in Gardiner for me.  Sit on the porch of the Roosevelt Lodge and rock away the evening thinking about what the park was like when Roosevelt was there. If you are having a hard time finding a grizzly or wolf stop at one of the gas stations and ask the kids behind the counter, the communication network is pretty strong between YPSS staff. Most importantly drive safely, and if you are with another person take turns driving so you can look around too. I pulled a lot of cars out of rivers and mud bogs when I worked there. 8)

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 09:11:33 PM »
It will be early September and we will likely use the NW or West entrance. Doesn't mean we can't take a drive out to the NE entrance of its that spectacular to see. Thanks for the input so far, I will add them all to my list and see how much we can check off of it along the way. We are really looking forward to the trip.

Are you staying in the Park, or outside?  Gardiner (NW entrance) is a cool town. Go swim in the Boiling River on your way in. Very cool experience.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]