collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Canadian trucks?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Canadian trucks?
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »
I’ve been looking at late model used 1/2 tons lately and it seems like 90% of them are from Canada. What’s the deal? Any good reasons to avoid them?

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Canadian trucks?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:57:05 AM »
@jackelope

I ended up ordering mine because it seemed all the ones at the dealerships at the time were initially intended to go to Canada. I didn't want one with headlights that turned on automatically with the key and no way to turn them off....(mandated in Canada)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:43:10 PM »
Here’s couple threads, search equipment section for more.

My daughter and son-in-law bought a vehicle that was Canadian, so far so good.

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,221147.0/all.html

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,210443.msg2801329.html#msg2801329
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 06:28:04 AM »
Thanks guys

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 06:51:43 AM »
I have an older Canadian truck for about 5 years now and has been grea except The km speedometer... they make kits to change them but I’m cheap. Also have noticed I’m saying  “eh”a lot lately???

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 07:13:07 AM »
last year i was looking at 1/2 tons too, i looked at maybe 8 from Canada and 2 from here locally. every one was less than a year old and 15k or less miles and every Canadian truck has rust on the under carriage and the locals didnt. ended up buying a local truck after shopping around.
-Matt

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 08:29:30 AM »
Like anything, there are good and bad.  I had a Suburban from Canada and it was great, just some paperwork and it was worth the effort.  There are a few things to look out for though:

1.  Warranty - I don't know for sure but have seen that they do not transfer over the border.
2.  Dishonesty - There are a bunch of trucks from the Alberta oil fields that are run like rented mules, cleaned up and for sale.  They often have rust and excessive wear hidden with new paint, underbody coatings and the like.  Not too difficult to find, check Carfax and see if they spent time when new in Alberta or have obvious new paint/coatings.  I wouldn't touch anything with new paint, coatings, or was from Alberta.
3.  Financing - I used cash and you have to jump through hoops at the border.  US assumes you are running drugs, Canada didn't seem to care.  Bank financing may be tricky, I don't know.
4.  Paperwork - You need some type of factory letter stating the vehicle complies with US regulations.  For any dealer they can likely handle this for you but private sellers will likely require you to handle it.
5.  Hassle - It takes basically a day to run up there, check it out and come back.  Plus, you end up stopping at Timmy's for some Timbits which is bad for your health.   :chuckle:
6.  Exchange rate - This is a huge factor that can either make it a great deal or not.

Overall, it can be a good deal but with the above it would have to be a really good deal for me to mess with it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 08:31:52 AM »
Like anything, there are good and bad.  I had a Suburban from Canada and it was great, just some paperwork and it was worth the effort.  There are a few things to look out for though:

1.  Warranty - I don't know for sure but have seen that they do not transfer over the border.
2.  Dishonesty - There are a bunch of trucks from the Alberta oil fields that are run like rented mules, cleaned up and for sale.  They often have rust and excessive wear hidden with new paint, underbody coatings and the like.  Not too difficult to find, check Carfax and see if they spent time when new in Alberta or have obvious new paint/coatings.  I wouldn't touch anything with new paint, coatings, or was from Alberta.
3.  Financing - I used cash and you have to jump through hoops at the border.  US assumes you are running drugs, Canada didn't seem to care.  Bank financing may be tricky, I don't know.
4.  Paperwork - You need some type of factory letter stating the vehicle complies with US regulations.  For any dealer they can likely handle this for you but private sellers will likely require you to handle it.
5.  Hassle - It takes basically a day to run up there, check it out and come back.  Plus, you end up stopping at Timmy's for some Timbits which is bad for your health.   :chuckle:
6.  Exchange rate - This is a huge factor that can either make it a great deal or not.

Overall, it can be a good deal but with the above it would have to be a really good deal for me to mess with it.

I was assuming he was talking about buying a truck locally that was imported from Canada and sold as used. Super common currently. For the most part, none of your concerns apply to that scenario.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 08:32:45 AM »
I have an older Canadian truck for about 5 years now and has been grea except The km speedometer... they make kits to change them but I’m cheap. Also have noticed I’m saying  “eh”a lot lately???

If you purchased the truck in the USA from a dealer, the odometer thing should have been changed out before you bought it.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 08:36:14 AM »

If you purchased the truck in the USA from a dealer, the odometer thing should have been changed out before you bought it.

Good to know  :tup: but mine was a private sale so I’m stuck looking at the small inner mph  :tung:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 08:38:16 AM »

Good to know  :tup: but mine was a private sale so I’m stuck looking at the small inner mph  :tung:

If it is mechanical, you can get a new overlay from a scrap yard.  I think we got ours from Spaulding in Spokane.  If it is digital, shouldn't be an issue to change it.

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 08:40:36 AM »

If it is mechanical, you can get a new overlay from a scrap yard.  I think we got ours from Spaulding in Spokane.  If it is digital, shouldn't be an issue to change it.

Mine is mechanical and I know you can change them I’m just to cheap lol! It Doesn’t bother me much as I don’t drive it to much anyway

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 09:30:21 AM »
[quote author=jackelope link=topic=235147.msg3139452#msg3139452 date=1546619512

I was assuming he was talking about buying a truck locally that was imported from Canada and sold as used. Super common currently. For the most part, none of your concerns apply to that scenario.
[/quote]

Yes, tons of used trucks at local dealers from Canada

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]