collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Giving Utah our sheep  (Read 9908 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Giving Utah our sheep
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2019, 06:27:52 AM »
Great info.  Sounds like domestic sheep need to stay off public land?  Just wondering, don't know much about it.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2019, 08:31:06 AM »
Couple of things to think about: The ewes that were sent to Utah are hopefully pregnant, so they are getting way more than 20 sheep. The sheep on the Butte are way over populated. Just drive back there and you will see lots of sheep...I've seen a group of over 70 out grazing in one field. That many sheep confined to such a small space is a recipe for disaster waiting to happen when it comes to diseases. They have moved around a bit and will continue to do so, but the majority of the ewes just stay on the backside of the butte so why not utilize this as a way to "trade" for possible future stocks of animals to help genetically diversify our herds...hopefully another state, either Utah, Nevada, Montana or any other place that has sheep can trade with us (especially since this move was supported and partially facilitated by the Sheep Foundation) and look at this as a North American model instead of a "state model" (btw, the Manson sheep came from another state when they were first transplanted, at least part of the herd was to help genetics). The Chelan Butte is a very "unique" herd as most of the sheep are accessible without the use of helicopter and can be easily caught, examined and a selected few that are strong (and hopefully pregnant) can be transplanted easily after quarantine as they can be put onto trucks and hauled away immediately, unlike the use of helicopters that increase stress from the capture and long-lining. If anything the Chelan Butte can be used for research and as a "breeding ground" to help other herds...yes, I do hope in the future they use this herd to augment other herds on Washington as well as other states. Maybe they used to be on the butte naturally two hundred years ago, but there weren't orchards, highways, and houses all around the Butte back then. The area is small, abundant with feed and very few predators (coyotes and bobcats mostly with a few bears and mountain lion though rare).

As far as hunting the Butte, yes I put in for that draw, as it can produce a nice ram...but it really isn't a "hard hunt". You can drive to the top, and leave a truck at the bottom, both on the north side of the train tunnel and on the south side of the train tunnel, and simply hike down. It is steep in some places but not overly hard. Some rams have gone across 97A on both the north side (out towards Howards Flats) and on the south side (Knapps Coulee) but most are still on the Butte. This is an "easy" sheep hunt compared to most other units. so in reality it is not a "great hunt" for me as its a "sheep shoot" but since it's OIL and there are nice rams back there it is a "top draw" and offers a great opportunity for hunters that can't do the other hunts. Yes, I am all for the ewe hunts as well...as that herd is huge for such a small area, and yes, I put in for those draws as well, and if I draw I will be back there with my Trad Bow for that ewe...seriously won't be that hard to stick one as they let you drive right by them.

Just my opinion...as a local who grew up chasing birds on the butte before the sheep were ever there. (for what its worth the deer population has decreased on the butte but for me, its a good trade-off).

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2019, 08:41:12 PM »
Lots of knowledgeable replies make me feel better about it. So does the fact the sheep org is highly involved.  I wouldn’t trust WDFW with any wildlife management.  :twocents:

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2019, 11:14:02 PM »
How much inbreeding is going on here on the butte?

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2019, 09:28:41 AM »
With the sheep?    :sry: couldn't resist.  :chuckle:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]