collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho Commission Meeting  (Read 17321 times)

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
Re: Idaho Commission Meeting
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 12:13:55 PM »
The prices are still pretty comparable to most western states and cheaper than some. They’ll still sell out at these prices until the economy crashes again.

Or will they? A lot of non res deer tags get sold as second deer tags to residents who have filled their first tag. (right now there are still about 6,000 non res deer tags available and they are being made available as second tags)  Make the prices too high and you not only price out the non res hunters, but the resident hunters too, who help sell out the non res tags.  Elk sell out sooner because of their more limited availability but if people feel they are being taken advantage of, sales will drop. And if that happens the difference will be made up by raises in the price of resident tags.

Also, high priced tags discourage youngsters from getting into hunting.  The overall high price of hunting has already started us down that road. One day it will lead to hunting being an activity for only the wealthy.

Most youngsters aren’t hunting out of state, I understand that it’s a big jump but if you want to take your kids on a cheap out of state deer hunt Nebraska still has $8 youth tags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Threethirtyeight

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 12:24:40 PM »
The prices are still pretty comparable to most western states and cheaper than some. They’ll still sell out at these prices until the economy crashes again.

Or will they? A lot of non res deer tags get sold as second deer tags to residents who have filled their first tag. (right now there are still about 6,000 non res deer tags available and they are being made available as second tags)  Make the prices too high and you not only price out the non res hunters, but the resident hunters too, who help sell out the non res tags.  Elk sell out sooner because of their more limited availability but if people feel they are being taken advantage of, sales will drop. And if that happens the difference will be made up by raises in the price of resident tags.

Also, high priced tags discourage youngsters from getting into hunting.  The overall high price of hunting has already started us down that road. One day it will lead to hunting being an activity for only the wealthy.

Most youngsters aren’t hunting out of state, I understand that it’s a big jump but if you want to take your kids on a cheap out of state deer hunt Nebraska still has $8 youth tags

Alot of youngsters hunt kid friendly states My kids hunt idaho every year we have been done with Washington for years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »

Alot of youngsters hunt kid friendly states My kids hunt idaho every year we have been done with Washington for years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  :yeah: almost the same amount of money for a kid to shoot a deer in Idaho as WA. Those youngsters they are pricing out are future full price customers. I dont even necessarily disagree with an increase but to go from $52 to $265 for a license and a deer tag is a bit ridiculous.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 01:48:55 PM »
Elk sell out sooner because of their more limited availability but if people feel they are being taken advantage of, sales will drop. And if that happens the difference will be made up by raises in the price of resident tags.

I'm not so sure that is correct.  When they jacked them up to a ridiculous amount several years ago, they did take a hit for a few years, but that was also tied into the wolf numbers hammering the herds at the same time.  But eventually they began to sell out again.  I suspect the same thing will happen again.  NR numbers will drop for a bit, but will rebound down the road.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 01:57:22 PM »
$900 to hunt elk in the panhandle. No thanks . Be our last year as we are headed into lolo. I will not pay $900 to hunt mediocre to bad elk areas. Me and others won’t pay that type of money . I’ll gladly pay that in NM, AZ,NV and UT

exact conclusion I came too

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 02:02:02 PM »
Elk sell out sooner because of their more limited availability but if people feel they are being taken advantage of, sales will drop. And if that happens the difference will be made up by raises in the price of resident tags.

I'm not so sure that is correct.  When they jacked them up to a ridiculous amount several years ago, they did take a hit for a few years, but that was also tied into the wolf numbers hammering the herds at the same time.  But eventually they began to sell out again.  I suspect the same thing will happen again.  NR numbers will drop for a bit, but will rebound down the road.
A massive recession at the time of the last NR price increases played a major role in reduced tag sales.  I agree though...tag sales will drop a bit...then pick right back up.  I'm not aware of a single sustained drop in demand as a result of NR tag price increases in any western state. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 02:04:00 PM »
 :yeah:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 02:12:05 PM »
Well, if this gets approved it's our last year.  No advantage for Non-resident Disabled Vet and all the price increases for deer and elk will have the affect they want - less out of state hunters. :bdid:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 02:27:59 PM »
The last time Idaho increased fees they only increased resident fees, non-residents did not get an increase. Most states do not have any discount for non-resident youth, even if Idaho raises the nonresident youth fees that is still a deal as compared to most western states where all nonresidents pay full NR fees. OIL species will get the biggest increase, but there are so many non-residents applying that the 10% quota for non-residents will likely be easily met. The only two unreasonable increases in my opinion are the bow/muzzy permits, and the elk tags. I would think doubling the permits is plenty and increasing elk by $100 should be adequate. Even still they are not really out of line on that pricing.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 03:43:32 PM »
The last time Idaho increased fees they only increased resident fees, non-residents did not get an increase. Most states do not have any discount for non-resident youth, even if Idaho raises the nonresident youth fees that is still a deal as compared to most western states where all nonresidents pay full NR fees. OIL species will get the biggest increase, but there are so many non-residents applying that the 10% quota for non-residents will likely be easily met. The only two unreasonable increases in my opinion are the bow/muzzy permits, and the elk tags. I would think doubling the permits is plenty and increasing elk by $100 should be adequate. Even still they are not really out of line on that pricing.
not entirely true dale. CO, MT, Kansas, and WY just to name a few all offer youth discounts to NR. Many more have steeply discounted license fees but full price tag fees but that can still add up to a good bit of coin.

Like I said before, as a guy who applies for EVERY western state these price increases get frustrating as I'm doing it all on an extremely limited budget but I get that Bill's need to be paid. Leave the kids and vets alone though. That's just pure greed plain and simple :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2019, 04:43:03 PM »
I think this will help those of you who normally hunt general elk tags every year and apply for controlled hunts, I think NR draw odds are going to improve due to that license increase. Not many are gonna wanna pay out nearly $200 non refundable to apply unless they are good with hunting OTC units as backup

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2019, 06:00:18 PM »
Most of this is just stupid and I am a resident.  Especially the youth and veterans increase.  I don’t understand why it says $180 something for wolf and increasing it to $200.  They are $31 now not $180. We should give those tags away for free and reimburse license fee if you shoot one.

:yeah: agreed on the wolf tags 100% other increases I am good with

Offline BUTTER

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2019, 06:55:51 PM »
Im sorry but anyone that thinks its okay for them to jack the prices up to 1k dollars to elk hunt you are the problem. All tbis does is take opportunity away which is already currently happening in our own state this is sad. They are taking advantage of out doorsmen

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2019, 07:07:16 PM »
And gonna put a big pinch here as WA hunters come back home to hunt, as crappy as its getting worse.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2019, 07:40:29 PM »

I'm not necessarily talking youth tags. I'm talking about young adults who maybe didn't grow up in hunting families.  and maybe they are interested hunting, but just can't afford big bucks.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]