collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: novice hunter  (Read 3455 times)

Offline kidneigh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
novice hunter
« on: August 20, 2019, 02:51:07 AM »
Good Morning,

Looking for someone/people who would be willing to train a novice in the ways of Hunting (Big game, Bird, Small Game, or Fish). I am most interested in Big game during modern rifle season or bow. Would not object to any other options. I have most of the basic equipment, and have experience due to former military service. I am 30 and do not smoke or drink. Married 10 years and no kids. I am flexible with when and where to hunt.

I am located in Thurston County between Shelton and Olympia. According to research I have done, I know that GMU 667 has highest data for harvest rates for Deer (other than Anderson island GMU655), also that GMU 653 has better than average harvest rates for Elk. Data from WDFW. I live within GMU 633. Like previously stated I am flexible for location and time of trips.

I would like to assist/harvest wild game this season, but would settle on the experience and knowledge gained from someone who knows what they are doing. I truly just want to learn from someone who is looking for a partner.

Picture of my reloading / precision rifle for fun

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: novice hunter
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 05:36:30 AM »
Tell us more about the rifle and are you interested in dry side, far eastern Washington experience?

Offline BeerBugler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 07:23:19 AM »
Start hunting Bears today! Lots of Bears in the areas you described. By the time modern deer season rolls around, you’ll know where to hunt. Go learn some country, the closer to home the better. 653 is permit only for elk. Let the animals and YOUR personal experiences teach you how to hunt, don’t be concerned with failure or screwing up, that’s how you learn.

Offline kidneigh

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 11:58:00 AM »
Tell us more about the rifle and are you interested in dry side, far eastern Washington experience?

I would be willing to make a trip to the dry side. If I had someone willing to mentor.

That rifle is a Bergara HMR Pro in 6.5 creedmoor. On top we have a 20 moa rail with Vortex match grade rings and the scope is a Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30×56 APLR2 FFP IR MOA. It shoots .37 moa from factory (they provided range card). Closes I have gotten is .5 without the extra stuff for bench resting it.

My hunting rifle is a Bergara  Ridge in 308 win. I have it set up on a BDC Athlon scope 2-10 x40. The BDC is dialed for 150g bullets. It seems to like the remington corelok 150g factory ammo.

I just moved and reestablish my reloading bench. Now I can work on a good load for both.

Offline kidneigh

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 09:51:31 PM »
Still looking

Offline Its_Raining_Brass

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 11:09:17 AM »
I live in up in Sumner now. but grew up in Shelton, also lived in Olympia a few years ago. I know both the areas pretty well. Id be willing to meet up and go out a few times for trial and maybe more depending. I am willing to drive anywhere on the wet side. Ephrata is probably as far as id like to drive on the dry side, but I can be convinced to go further. any day off I am normally doing something related to hunting or fishing.

I am 26. not married, pretty flexible on dates and times to hunt.
willing to camp if needed and have the gear for it. (on ground or above ground)

have a 2 yr old chocolate lab for waterfowl, he pretty good now but always getting better. which brings me to the question of do you own a shotgun?

hunt big game, small game, upland, waterfowl and fishing.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 06:24:37 PM »
Capitol city Rifle and pistol club is also associated with Capitol city Bowmen. This is right in your area and a good club to check out for both your rifle and archery needs.

http://ccrpclub.org/facilities/archery-range/

You get out what you put in...

Hope this helps.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline kidneigh

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 11:50:29 PM »
Capitol city Rifle and pistol club is also associated with Capitol city Bowmen. This is right in your area and a good club to check out for both your rifle and archery needs.

http://ccrpclub.org/facilities/archery-range/

You get out what you put in...

Hope this helps.

thank you for the information

Offline kidneigh

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 11:51:23 PM »
I live in up in Sumner now. but grew up in Shelton, also lived in Olympia a few years ago. I know both the areas pretty well. Id be willing to meet up and go out a few times for trial and maybe more depending. I am willing to drive anywhere on the wet side. Ephrata is probably as far as id like to drive on the dry side, but I can be convinced to go further. any day off I am normally doing something related to hunting or fishing.

I am 26. not married, pretty flexible on dates and times to hunt.
willing to camp if needed and have the gear for it. (on ground or above ground)

have a 2 yr old chocolate lab for waterfowl, he pretty good now but always getting better. which brings me to the question of do you own a shotgun?

hunt big game, small game, upland, waterfowl and fishing.

Pm sent

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter