collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hydrogen peroxide  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Baranouskas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Hydrogen peroxide
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 11:01:39 PM »
Peroxide takes forever. I did this deer for a buddy in under 8 hours

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 06:53:13 AM »
What is your guy's DIY euro process?

I have beetles now to clean the skulls, but before that I would macerate to clean the skulls. In my opinion these are the best ways to clean the skulls and maintain the integrity of the bone long term.

Next is degreasing. For deer I use a five gallon bucket and submerge the skull in a water/dawn dish soap solution (about a 1/4 cup per 5 gallons) and heat the water with a fish tank heater. Change the water every few days or weeks depending on when you remember. Keep repeating this until the water stays clear for several days which should mean the skull is sufficiently degreased. The grease coming out will form a layer on the top of the water or turn the water cloudy. You can also use a solution of water and ammonia instead of dish soap. During the degreasing process is a good time to scrape and pick off any little remaining bits that might have gotten missed when cleaning the skull.

After degreasing let the skull dry and then whiten using hydrogen peroxide. As discussed in this thread you can use several different methods. The two main processes are either submerging the skull in a liquid form of peroxide, or making a paste and coating the skull. Either way the stronger the peroxide solution the quicker the skull will whiten. I have typically used the gel type 40 Volume (13% peroxide) Salon developer and made a paste with that and the powdered lightener (Basic White). Paint this on the skull all over then wrap with basic plastic wrap and let it sit for a day or so. Rinse and repeat hitting any areas you may have missed. Letting the skull dry in the direct sunlight is best. The other method posted by the OP uses a liquid form of hydrogen peroxide and you simply submerge the skull for as long as it takes to get the desired level of whiteness.

Hopefully others will chime in with other methods and tips.

Online Fletch

• Political Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 12:40:30 PM »
I use beetles now as well (occasionally the simmer/scrape method when beetles aren't usable) degrease, and use 27% liquid peroxide.  I put my skull in a plastic garbage bag and set it in the bottom of a container.  I add some peroxide to the inside of the bag and put water in container outside of bag. The water pushes up the peroxide so I use a lot less volume of peroxide.  Just have to be very careful of foam ups and bottom of horns. 

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 12:56:30 AM »
I have always bought my stuff from Sally's beauty store. I have always just cleaned the skull with hot/ boiling water and then the same process with dish soap. Let dry thoroughly and then wrap the base of antler with tinfoil and then spray or rub the peroxide on the skull until you get the desired whiteness. I let the peroxide dry between each coat.

Offline fowl smacker

• Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 07:57:16 AM »
I have always bought my stuff from Sally's beauty store. I have always just cleaned the skull with hot/ boiling water and then the same process with dish soap. Let dry thoroughly and then wrap the base of antler with tinfoil and then spray or rub the peroxide on the skull until you get the desired whiteness. I let the peroxide dry between each coat.
Yep, you get an even quicker response if you add heat.  (My mom was a hair dresser for 30 years, I know all the tricks).  Wrap it in a garbage bag after applying your solution and blow some hot air in with a heat gun or your wife's hair dryer without her knowing :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Rough year on the wet side by ASienkiewich
[Today at 03:50:06 PM]

New Custom rifle by h20hunter
[Today at 03:48:41 PM]

People on Cams by CP
[Today at 03:46:50 PM]

GMU 124 2nd Doe by kirkl
[Today at 03:43:44 PM]

Grizzly Management programs headed down the same doomed path as wolves by Dan-o
[Today at 03:39:49 PM]

North Idaho? by Lapua07
[Today at 03:39:14 PM]

Tree stand FS by CP
[Today at 03:37:40 PM]

TIME TO GET MOBILIZED! I-1094 petition drive to repeal I-1639 by Special T
[Today at 03:37:16 PM]

blacktail bucks by Whitenuckles
[Today at 03:33:41 PM]

2019 Elk Harvest Post Here!!! by Whitenuckles
[Today at 03:31:43 PM]

2019 Deer Post em here by Whitenuckles
[Today at 03:30:09 PM]

Late Season Modern Blacktail 2019 by Whitenuckles
[Today at 03:28:04 PM]

Upcoming First Deer Hunt GMU 117 by Fl0und3rz
[Today at 03:26:26 PM]

2019 Season: "It's not that bad guys, it only hurts if I walk on it" by CackleBird98
[Today at 03:25:44 PM]

Camo and found some turkey loads to try by TheStovePipeKid
[Today at 03:21:14 PM]

FS: Tikka TX3 Superlite, fluted barrel 6.5 Creedmore by redi
[Today at 03:20:03 PM]

WTS Savage 116 6.5x284 norma by Rjames
[Today at 03:10:09 PM]

Help me catch a chum salmon by 7mmfan
[Today at 02:55:02 PM]

Pack animals for dummies by skagitsteel
[Today at 02:49:27 PM]

Idaho Buck by Karl Blanchard