collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2019 Blacktail Early Season activity reports - anybody seeing bucks?  (Read 19348 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: 2019 Blacktail Early Season activity reports - anybody seeing bucks?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 02:25:19 PM »
  I have probably 8-10 decent bucks show on camera from Spring through mid-August.  Time of day does not seem to matter, they show morning, mid-day, evening and night time with no real patterns I have detected yet.

Then poof - anything with more than 2 points is apparently abducted by aliens or something!  The abductions are timed to when the velvet goes away.  Not really seeing any rubs either. 

Yes sir, typical for the mature BT bucks. A theory that I happen to agree with is that when the bucks are in velvet their antlers are very tender/sensitive and they will spend more time out of their thick hidey-holes than they normally would to avoid those hard branches touching/rubbing, snagging at their sore head gear.  Once they've finally rubbed the velvet off (yep, that's where the vast majority of the BT rubs come from... velvet shedding), then they'll move back into their brushy fortresses until it's time to become a little dumber and come out to date some of the does  ;)   
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline RafaelG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 07:12:14 PM »
I've seen lots of does and a possible buck on my land

Offline cooltimber

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 07:24:43 PM »
gold bar this morning at 8;35 a 2pt,spike,doe. in back yard. 2pt sniffing the doe. yesterday saw zip after couple of miles stopping and glassing. lol go fiqure.lol  have 7 acres and have seen a nice 3x3 a couple x's during august.
rvn 69-70 11 b 2p 173rd
rmef
  2 ways to conquer and enslave a nation
      one's by sword,the other is by debt.
               John Adams

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 09:19:48 PM »
  I have probably 8-10 decent bucks show on camera from Spring through mid-August.  Time of day does not seem to matter, they show morning, mid-day, evening and night time with no real patterns I have detected yet.

Then poof - anything with more than 2 points is apparently abducted by aliens or something!  The abductions are timed to when the velvet goes away.  Not really seeing any rubs either. 

Yes sir, typical for the mature BT bucks. A theory that I happen to agree with is that when the bucks are in velvet their antlers are very tender/sensitive and they will spend more time out of their thick hidey-holes than they normally would to avoid those hard branches touching/rubbing, snagging at their sore head gear.  Once they've finally rubbed the velvet off (yep, that's where the vast majority of the BT rubs come from... velvet shedding), then they'll move back into their brushy fortresses until it's time to become a little dumber and come out to date some of the does  ;)   

That's why archery season was invented.  :chuckle:

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2019, 10:21:55 PM »
I have seen so many blacktail bucks this year. I have simplified my approach to the same areas I normally hunt. I have been walking less, sitting longer, and glassing harder.

The rut is definitely not on but I spotted a very nice buck glued to a doe on opening day. Spotted another slipping through the area with does the second. I have no self control and took a small buck after he got done running around with some does and walked right into my lap.

Don't be discouraged about seeing does. You never know if a buck is around just because. If nothing else it gives you a chance to study their appearance and movement to help develop your game eye cuz those suckers are so hard to spot.

All good thoughts.  Congrats on ending your season, even if it wasn't a trophy.  I'm expecting tag soup this season, cause I don't need the meat and I'm telling myself I can pass on lesser bucks and wait for mister big.  We'll see how that all shakes out.  I'll probably end up with a spike that I swore was a four-point. 

Saw one doe today out on a firewood run after dropping my boy at school.   Took my rifle, forgot my binocs, knife, and pack.  Got all my firewood safety gear loaded along with gas, and bar oil, but turned out I forgot my chainsaw too.  Wasted day! 

No reason to get all excited about whether the deer are rutting yet.  That's why I was looking for "early season reports" .  The rut thread won't start for another day or two.   :chuckle:  Good luck out there.

Fishnfur - where in longview are you?  I'm out by Bakers Corner and hunt the treefarm in 550.

PM sent.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 09:07:29 AM »
We've been out for the past three days in the Bear Creak/Dewatto area (GMU 627-bordering 633)and have seen nothing but does. However this is our first time hunting in Washington State and we're still figuring things out.

PM me. I've hunted that spot a couple times and would love to BS over it. Last year I hunted there over Christmas break... the same day Port Orchard got hit by that weird tornado thing. Crappiest hunting weather ever, which supposedly means great hunting. Either way, I haven't been home since last December. I normally hunt some private land by my house but I know a little bit about the areas out there.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 11:06:06 AM »

Seems like a solid theory to me
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 11:16:28 AM »
We've been out for the past three days in the Bear Creak/Dewatto area (GMU 627-bordering 633)and have seen nothing but does. However this is our first time hunting in Washington State and we're still figuring things out.

PM me. I've hunted that spot a couple times and would love to BS over it. Last year I hunted there over Christmas break... the same day Port Orchard got hit by that weird tornado thing. Crappiest hunting weather ever, which supposedly means great hunting. Either way, I haven't been home since last December. I normally hunt some private land by my house but I know a little bit about the areas out there.

Really??  I went out to Dewatto during the late season two years ago.  Outside Capitol peak, that was the most hunters I'd seen in one area in Western WA during deer season (of course I've never been in Vail).  There's some closed gates on Manke Timberlands and DNR lands south of there that are less pressured and a lot more enjoyable to hunt.  Do what you've gotta do though.  Every year, several nice bucks are harvested near there.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline LeeRay

• Pilgrim
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 12:15:14 PM »
We went out yesterday too on Pope land (different gate than on Monday). Saw lots of droppings, both doe and buck, one buck rub and tons of bedding areas, but didn't see anything larger than a chipmunk!

To be clear, I am extremely inexperienced, and my husband hunted white tail on the east coast way back when. Doing lots of research and we are sticking to Pope land right now as we figure there are less hunters there.

Yesterday, we were completely alone. No hunters at all, even at dusk. It was weird. We heard about 3 gun shots way off in the distance at one point at dusk, but that was it. No one was out hunting. As we drove home we saw only two other vehicles parked at other gates. Definitely not what we expected of hunting season. Maybe everyone decided this year to go elsewhere?

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 12:20:06 PM »
Deer Numbers are down in Kitsap and north Mason..and lots of guys go east for the first week...next week will see an uptick in people until modern elk starts...keep hitting area's you see sign...late next week the bucks should start moving..

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2019, 12:50:14 PM »
Deer Numbers are down in Kitsap and north Mason..and lots of guys go east for the first week...next week will see an uptick in people until modern elk starts...keep hitting area's you see sign...late next week the bucks should start moving..
Yes, same deal here in our area. The guys that go east and get skunked will be plugging up the parking at the gates...unless it's raining, then it won't be to bad. :chuckle:
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline LeeRay

• Pilgrim
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 01:34:57 PM »
I never thought I'd actually look forward to rain, lol!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 08:07:21 PM »
Saw a buck following a doe today out here, definitely was with her with rut on his mind.

Offline RetiredBuck

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: CCA
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 09:34:50 PM »
  I don't know about the numbers in Kitsap but here in Mason the numbers seem to be up or at least par with last year.  I counted 13 does and fawns the other night in a field near here.

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 09:35:49 PM »
Saw two different bucks cruising the street last night outside of Gig Harbor! Just at dark and a couple hours later 3x3 and 4x? big necks walking right down the road, no fear!! Getting close.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]