collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 7.3 Powerstroke Help  (Read 8038 times)

Offline TommyH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: 7.3 Powerstroke Help
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 07:45:54 PM »
Put 5 gallons of diesel in each tank. Very possible your out of fuel or the tank didn’t switch. Cheap and very very possible

Only one tank, no switch.. and it’s got fuel, 15 gallons in the tank and the fuel bowl was full. It full of oil and the hpop is as well. No smoke out the exhaust at all so it’s not “working” the injectors for one reason or another...  new cps, new ipr valve, unplugged the icp sensor which is supposed to reset it to a factory setting allowing it to run when unplugged.
 So as far as *I know* or suggested by others, the remaining possibilities (that I think could be likely) is the - 1.  IDM,   2. high pressure oil pump (hpop),   3. injectors.. (thought I watched a YouTube video saying a bad o-ring prevented enough pressure from building for injectors to work???. 4. CPS, I bought one from autozone it may be junk but I got rpms on the tach when cranking  (indicates cps is working) and rpms 200ish on digital AICM  http://dieselinnovations.com/techfiles/aic_manual1.pdf
5...? I don’t know let me know if I’m over looking something.

I know the UVCH is a known problem but I don’t think both failed at the same time, if one was bad I think it would still fire the injectors on the good bank..? And would run and still make smoke out the exhaust..
The icp I didn’t inspect for oil on the plug very well (indicating it’s leaking and bad) but unplugging it is supposed to allow it to run.

My diagnosis abilities are run out now lol hopefully someone can chime in with some insight. I am hoping I don’t have to have it towed to a the shop but may have to... Thanks all to replied. I appreciate it. Keep em coming.

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 09:03:21 PM »
That link above may not work but this page  has a link to it a little ways down, I know it’s 96 but there is a good flow chart on no starts

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1599601-96-7-3l-crank-but-no-start.html

It has clickable links on test procedures also

Offline TommyH

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2019, 05:43:11 PM »
So I haven’t had much time to mess with my truck but had a relative come out with a snap on scanner, it’s got a few codes but I’m not sure that any are telling me exactly what I need... (or that I understand enough)
Codes we got were - * P1316 IDM codes detected. * PO340 cam position sensor circuit fault.  Buzz test codes were, *P1277, *P1293 high side open (right) *P1294 high side open (left).  Still uncertain which part(s) are the culprit... I’m still leaning twords the IDM...? Any more input from anyone more knowledgeable than myself??????

Offline Stump

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2019, 06:58:58 PM »
Sure sounds like the cam sensor,  I also keep a spair in the glove box with a 10 mm wrench.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2019, 08:51:11 PM »
Sure sounds like the cam sensor,  I also keep a spair in the glove box with a 10 mm wrench.

He’s getting RPM’s when cranking so that indicates the CPS is working.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 09:47:05 PM »

:yeah:

Clearly has injector issues as well, but those won’t cause it to die without warning.

Injectors, new harnesses and gaskets will likely clear most of those codes, but still have to figure out why it died and won’t start.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline TommyH

• Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 10:31:36 PM »

:yeah:

Clearly has injector issues as well, but those won’t cause it to die without warning.

Injectors, new harnesses and gaskets will likely clear most of those codes, but still have to figure out why it died and won’t start.

Yes, new gaskets/harnesses, glow plugs are on the “to do” list.  Injector(s) work or replacement more than likely added to that list... not sure if it is, or is not the cause of the no start issues.??  I’m going to try my IDM on another running 99 and try to rule it out...thanks @huntnfool  @jackelope and  others.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:00:52 PM by TommyH »

Offline jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2019, 11:08:22 PM »
I don't know if there is a link. Posted once before. Truck would shut off and trouble starting once we got into the 30's. 1st went with non oem cam position sensor. it helped but would still happen occasionally.
Changed to oem sensor and no issues since . This was last year. Starts now when temp dips into the 20's and no more turning off. Mine is a 2000 f250.
Also had my mileage drop from 16.4 to 16.0mpg. Haven't had it on road much to check mileage as only use during hunting season w camper. Will let you know after a few trips.
Good luck.

Offline stw

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2019, 05:01:44 AM »
I have a 97 7.3  it did the same thing run  tell it got warm then after warning up it would shut off and wouldn't start  it was the ipr. Valve was bad . And if the truck is low on oil it won't start the 7.3s run off oil pressure .

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 05:56:42 AM »
You said it happend after driving around in the rain? The idm on your superduty is behind the fender I believe so it is very possible it got wet (sure it’s sealed good but seals can go bad) and went bad. Hope you get it working soon.

Offline MR5x5

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 03:24:32 PM »
Smartest 7.3 folks on the planet live here.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2019, 03:56:33 PM »
I would not be surprised if bad fuel went through inj and now they are junk.  I had that with my 2001.  Multiple codes were firing up as well.  Are ya running aftermarket quality 2micron filters?  If so then ignore me.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline TommyH

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2019, 04:58:05 PM »
I looked again at the pics I took of the scan tool, I also had a P1280 code. ICP circut our of range low.

Offline 95powersmoker

• Hunter
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »
I looked again at the pics I took of the scan tool, I also had a P1280 code. ICP circut our of range low.

Wouldn't focus on that. Likely got that code when you tried running it without the ICP sensor plugged in. I would have cleared the codes and then tried to start it again and checked once more for codes. Also, would be ideal if you could get ICP psi # and IPR duty cycle %. Need to know if you are getting enough high pressure oil to fire injectors.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:58:18 AM by 95powersmoker »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr