collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Weekend weather for blacktails  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Weekend weather for blacktails
« on: October 17, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »
Any thoughts on how the heavy rain will affect the blacktails? A far cry from clear skies and full moon a week ago.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
Re: Weekend weather for blacktails
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »
Can't speak to it directly but if the are anything like whitetails I think heavy rain is bad, but light rain causes more movement and thus good hunting conditions.

Offline L8NITE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 11:10:37 AM »
Just got home from hunting...they were out moving this morning. The rain and wind dont stop them from eating but they are a little jumpy lol Besides it keeps the fair weather guys out of the woods :tup:
"The Hunts not over!"

Offline npaull

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 11:22:33 AM »
For blacktails, I'm really a firm believer that basically the worse the weather the better the hunting. It's almost worthless to hunt them when it's sunny and still. This rain is AWESOME for blacktail. Get out there.

It's so much easier to hunt them when there's a lot of rain noise to cover your motion. And they move much more during the day.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »
THeres a reason I dont film very many large blacktails.  Hint, its not because I'm afraid to go after them. Its because cameras dont like WET weather, but they do. ;)

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 11:52:53 AM »
Killed a few during the rain, doesn't seem to bother them if not at all

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »
They're not pansies, like whitetails. :chuckle:  The crappier the weather, the better the hunting.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 12:30:52 PM »
as funny as that sounds, thats pretty much the truth. :chuckle:

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 07:45:45 PM »
Here's what I've heard/read/assimilated on rain and BTs (and it may be totally wrong - but I'm never afraid to pass on some bad information): 

I'm not sure they love rain (or even better - wind and rain) as much as it makes them nervous when they are bedded in the timber.  As we hunters know, the sound of rain covers our noise and allows us to travel with much more stealth in the deer woods.  Also, a steady rain is pretty good at knocking down scent, both of which leaves the deer lacking a couple important senses it uses as primary defense against predators.  When it is really windy and rainy (think blowing tree tops, knocking tree top trunks, limbs crashing down in the forest etc.), the deer are now overburdened with so much noise that they feel defenseless in the smell and hearing sense categories, which requires that they stand up and use their last defense against predators: sight! 

So when it gets ugly out there, BT hunters go in the woods because they see more deer (because the deer are now standing up or up moving to safer/quieter localities, or feeding quickly before the real storm hits etc.)  Early in the season, they'll often just wait out the mild rains in their beds.  If it is cold out, the rain also cools their bodies which requires they replace the calories and thus, feed more often.  Add in the coming rut and bucks beginning to cruise for does - late October rains can be just what the doctor ordered for finding deer up and moving during the daylight hours.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:53:16 PM by fishnfur »
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 08:00:17 PM »
I’ll take rain and mild wind every day of blacktail season! Blue skies are for napping

Offline 444Marlin

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 09:45:46 PM »
I read a post on one forum that someone was saying Roosevelt elk don't like the rain or don't move at all when it's raining.  My reply was, "...that means they wouldn't move from late September until June!"

I think the same goes for blacktail.  They really could care less about rain. 

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 10:35:07 PM »
I have seen more Deer in rough weather than any other time. A windy heavy rain is about as good as it gets for a black tail hunter.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 01:25:18 AM »
In my opinion from what I've experienced over the years is the deer are up and moving around feeding at the start of bad weather and at the end of the storm. If Its raining hard for multiple days they hunker down and don't move much at least during daylight hours. Just from what I've learned in the area I hunt BT's.
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 06:13:41 AM »
 :yeah:

I’ve found that before nasty,a break in nasty or right after nasty is most productive for hunting.

A couple things about nasty weather I’ve figured out over 35 years of blacktail hunting. When it’s storming they are either on the rapid move going somewhere or they find some bigger reprod to lay up in to get out of the wind/rain. Using optics on nasty days is a challenge. Deer move more all day on days with weather.

Having said that I’ve killed my best buck on a bluebird day & our biggest numbers seen days have come without rain as well. So go figure🤷‍♂️ Fact is they only give you so many days/weekends a season so you have to play the hand that’s dealt & be out there. Personally I love a nasty night followed by calming winds & showers at daybreak. We will see what this weekend brings as I saw a pic of a big buck taken yesterday late morning during some............breaks in the rainy weather.

Offline Soady

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 07:36:23 AM »
 :yeah:
Exactly right, black tails move during and between the breaks during nasty weather either going to refuge or getting up and stretching, browsing or moving again to better refuge. With the foul weather gear we enjoy today why not use it and get after them? As the previous poster said you only get so many days. During modern season I scout black tail bucks during foul weather as my muzzy season is just around the corner in some of the best foul weather all year

When I know where they’re going and coming from my odds go up considerably leaving me more time to concentrate on their home ground refuge. After all the pressure they are getting all from the early season hunters they are no longer on their early preseason scouting areas. Toss in foul weather and they move into those areas. 
Good luck to all!
Whatever........

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]