collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling Cougars?  (Read 96292 times)

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: Calling Cougars?
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »
Close, but no cigar.👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #121 on: December 14, 2019, 03:18:24 AM »
Damn, too bad ya jumped it before calling.  Ill be out looking for fresh bob tracks today.

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2019, 09:57:47 AM »
I jumped one off the road in a heavy snowfall once. I don’t think they’re far ahead in that kind of scenario, but I think the calling jig is up.

(If you have the legs and lungs for it, it’s time to hike hard on their track. Takes a mountain athlete - which I haven’t been since the 90’s! - but I think it’s effective. That’s one of the reasons I wanna get non-calling boot hunt stories on my website.)

I overtracked one with Rick from Buck Canyon on Roosevelt one time too... and I knew it!

I realized it and I broke hard right and got out of the timber onto the benches overlooking the lake. Sure enough, there it was, about 100yd, two benches down, loping away.

Almost got that one. Shot just over its back as it did that real undulating loping jog they do. Then it was into new brush and timber, started sneaking then too, doubling back, 90 degree turns around obstacles... they’re amazing sneakers.

I broke off and let it go. Fresh snow. If I was alone I might have humped on that ones tracks, but my boys were up the hill with Rick, and there was patches of private land below... I gave up.

Great hunt, KF!

- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2019, 10:21:02 AM »
When I jumped it,  I wasn't sure what to do.  I didn't think I could tree it or run it down with a bum knee and being in Dad bod, office rat shape  :chuckle:

fawn bleat?

angry WT calls?

Cougar Whistles?

So I ended up doing a fawn bleat then when it didn't show up pretty quickly I swapped to Cougar whistles.  I didn't hear a thing with the foxpro  "RS live whistle" which I tend to hit the mute button on a lot cause I think it calls too frequently if you just let it play...then tracked down a bit further to see if it had circled me...nope.   

Then I swapped to the cougar whistle from Rainshadow blowing it manually and I *think* I heard a response but my hearing in those frequencies suck to say the least. 

So I sat for another 20 min or so occasionally blowing the whistle trying to mimic some of those youtube cougar whistling video's from trail cameras.  Nothing showed,  that's when I went back up got in the truck and went down below the cat thinking it was making its way down and out of the timbered plateau I was on to the creek bottom. 

made a stand where I thought it would come out,  nothing.

It was fun! 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2019, 10:31:34 AM »
I jumped one off the road in a heavy snowfall once. I don’t think they’re far ahead in that kind of scenario, but I think the calling jig is up.

I think next time I cut a blazing fresh track I'm not going to follow it in so far, maybe keep driving 1/4 to 1/2 a mile up the road from the tracks, then walk back and call almost from the road.  Maybe climb a knob if there's one close but I'm not going down in after it until I've made an initial call from no more than about 30-50 yards off the road where I cut the track. 

I've followed lions plenty of times before, cut sign then follow the tracks for miles and never did find the end, but that track/s was more of a bee line than this track.   

I should have known when I was thinking "where the heck is this cat going?"  I asked myself, as it was meandering around.  So I should have stopped and called, but the area wasn't ideal for calling unless you want it in your lap! 

So I was looking for a good area to call when I found that cougar snow angel, and the gig was up.

I caulked this up to a lesson learned.

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2019, 01:45:01 PM »
When I jumped it,  I wasn't sure what to do.  I didn't think I could tree it or run it down with a bum knee and being in Dad bod, office rat shape  :chuckle:

fawn bleat?

angry WT calls?

Cougar Whistles?

So I ended up doing a fawn bleat then when it didn't show up pretty quickly I swapped to Cougar whistles.  I didn't hear a thing with the foxpro  "RS live whistle" which I tend to hit the mute button on a lot cause I think it calls too frequently if you just let it play...then tracked down a bit further to see if it had circled me...nope.   

Then I swapped to the cougar whistle from Rainshadow blowing it manually and I *think* I heard a response but my hearing in those frequencies suck to say the least. 

So I sat for another 20 min or so occasionally blowing the whistle trying to mimic some of those youtube cougar whistling video's from trail cameras.  Nothing showed,  that's when I went back up got in the truck and went down below the cat thinking it was making its way down and out of the timbered plateau I was on to the creek bottom. 

It was fun!

Did you get the offer I made to send former customers "S Live Whistles"?  Live whistles is real time, but it is young excited and begging. I decided to slow it way down. So I made the "S" version. Send me an email I'll send you a link.
- - Steve
 www.rain-shadow.com

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2019, 01:50:44 PM »

fawn bleat?

angry WT calls?

Cougar Whistles?

It was fun!

You can always set up and call, then if nothing, you can move further up the track. First cat I had in the scope I did that based on how far the sound would travel. (I have a video link on the call-in story page.) It came in at 1h:10m.

I've come across the snow melt bed before too. I tracked past it and it went right up a wall, so I decided to drive around, even though the next road was about 2 miles away... sure enough the tracks crossed. That set of tracks went over 7 miles in a straight line across three huge ridges in one night. I never caught up to it. But the only place it meandered was right before the bed.
- - Steve
 www.rain-shadow.com

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2019, 06:29:08 PM »
I have heard them more vocal than rs whistle.   I was starting to get sleepy from being too still for too long when I noticed way too much noise. Hit pause and that cat talked for 20 min non stop while I strained my eyes desperately trying to see the cat.  Never did lay eyes on it
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2019, 07:15:40 AM »
New fawn bleat

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »
New fawn bleat

I've seen that bleat. Waiting on a fresh batch from a call maker referred to me by Bango so I can pick one. Here is a good question for the experienced hand callers. There is a sweet red call that I really like but was thinking it would be wiser to go with earthy tones if it's hanging from my neck. What would be the consensus here?
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2019, 03:42:00 PM »
Get the color call you like.  Little movements will get you busted long before a red call.  Its a non issue i would think.

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2019, 04:07:45 PM »
That call is awesome! Very cool, who made it?
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2019, 04:09:48 PM »
That call is awesome! Very cool, who made it?

Turkeyrivercalls.com
Youre on predatormasters, right?  Hes BMeyer.

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2019, 09:42:25 PM »
Oh I’ve got one of his, girlfriend got it for me thinking it was a predator call and we found out it’s actually tuned for elk haha. I’ll have to look at his new ones, the panels are pretty cool.

Nope, just checked I was wrong. I wish I had one of his. I love carved calls, those are awesome!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 09:52:48 PM by Tracker0721 »
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2019, 10:26:40 PM »
Ya, got to use it today it sounds great, nice to hold and got some heft to it, and doesnt sound plasticky

Its on the lanyard with a Phelps, two RR calls,  and a rainshadow call

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]