collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: North Idaho?  (Read 5184 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: North Idaho?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
Please explain how you can own stock animals but cant afford a side by side? $20k for something that only needs fed when you ride it, uses a cheaper trailer to move it, don't need a barn, doesn't have vet bills, gets shoed but once every 5+ years or so, doesn't need a barn or hay storage, pasture, fencing, ect......

Aint no way stock animals are cheaper than a side by side.

Just the fact that he owns horses is a likely reason why he can't afford a side by side. Probably prefers the horses.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 05:42:12 PM »
Deer numbers in the Cabinets on the Idaho side are low compared to other parts of the state. I would imagine its fairly close to the Montana side. Pm me and ill send you my number and we can exchange some info. And yes, bear poukstion is high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:yeah: It will be similar to what you are hunting on the Montana side. I have hunted both sides of cabinets(mt and Idaho) I think the deer density is lower for sure on the Idaho side. You can totally get away from people and you will find nice deer if you hunt the way you described. I don't think I would do anything other than hunt the Idaho side of what you have been hunting in Mt. You can defintiely find some good ones but I would echo looking southern Idaho for the muleys because I enjoy that a lot more now days. I understand the desire to chase those old mountain bucks though  :tup:  Just hunt the Idaho side of the cabinets you have been hunting from montana I think for best success   

Offline Lapua07

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, MD, NBA WRAW
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
Please explain how you can own stock animals but cant afford a side by side? $20k for something that only needs fed when you ride it, uses a cheaper trailer to move it, don't need a barn, doesn't have vet bills, gets shoed but once every 5+ years or so, doesn't need a barn or hay storage, pasture, fencing, ect......

Tell my ole lady that... done deal lol

Offline Lapua07

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 07:28:06 PM »
Deer numbers in the Cabinets on the Idaho side are low compared to other parts of the state. I would imagine its fairly close to the Montana side. Pm me and ill send you my number and we can exchange some info. And yes, bear poukstion is high.

:yeah: It will be similar to what you are hunting on the Montana side. I have hunted both sides of cabinets(mt and Idaho) I think the deer density is lower for sure on the Idaho side. You can totally get away from people and you will find nice deer if you hunt the way you described. I don't think I would do anything other than hunt the Idaho side of what you have been hunting in Mt. You can defintiely find some good ones but I would echo looking southern Idaho for the muleys because I enjoy that a lot more now days. I understand the desire to chase those old mountain bucks though  :tup:  Just hunt the Idaho side of the cabinets you have been hunting from montana I think for best success

I will be hunting in or near the Cabinets in Idaho. Regardless of the numbers it’s the country I like to hunt. I heavily dislike whitetail. I think a big portion of that has come from growing up around Colville when late buck rolls around and 395 is bumper to bumper traffic with westsiders dressed up in camo and hunter orange. :bash: :bash: I have never in my life figured out how a 140-160 pound animal on average could pull so much revenue to a community. Yet every year Any piece of public ground gets beat to death by campers/road hunting/ 4 wheelers (those 20k$ side by sides). Don’t get me wrong I have met some good honest guys beating the brush. Helped a guy out years ago now him and about 10 guys come over and slaughter every deer with horns.... so there’s always the bad. I’ve taken friends from here with me to Montana and they can’t cut it. Don’t want to hike. Can’t glass for more then 5 mins. My GF went one year. Told me she’ll never hunt Montana again. Couldn’t tell her there’s easier ground to kill deer. 😃

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »

Hard to tell the ole ladies from the girl friends in this post.

Regardless it's funny how people always discuss cost when they discuss horses.
It's always the ones that don't have em too.
Who cares?

It's a family lifestyle choice just like the folks that load up their toy-haulers and go to the dunes.
Everything I do costs money and plenty of it.
Hence I work hard and do my best to make good choices.

Perhaps most horse guys are worried about their Carbon Foot Print???

Offline Lapua07

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »

Hard to tell the ole ladies from the girl friends in this post.

Regardless it's funny how people always discuss cost when they discuss horses.
It's always the ones that don't have em too.
Who cares?

It's a family lifestyle choice just like the folks that load up their toy-haulers and go to the dunes.
Everything I do costs money and plenty of it.
Hence I work hard and do my best to make good choices.

Perhaps most horse guys are worried about their Carbon Foot Print???

She’s a a pain just as much as the horses. I was content without either a side by side or horses before we got together. Had a lot more money too. But part of me enjoys them unit it’s 5 degrees and I have to keep water thawed and everything fed. It’s a hobby I can incorporate into my style of hunting which is just fine with me. She gets to ride... occasionally shoot. I get to spend time in the mountains and look for big mule deer. Win win

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 07:24:35 PM »

I will be hunting in or near the Cabinets in Idaho. Regardless of the numbers it’s the country I like to hunt. I heavily dislike whitetail. I think a big portion of that has come from growing up around Colville when late buck rolls around and 395 is bumper to bumper traffic with westsiders dressed up in camo and hunter orange. :bash: :bash: I have never in my life figured out how a 140-160 pound animal on average could pull so much revenue to a community. Yet every year Any piece of public ground gets beat to death by campers/road hunting/ 4 wheelers (those 20k$ side by sides). Don’t get me wrong I have met some good honest guys beating the brush. Helped a guy out years ago now him and about 10 guys come over and slaughter every deer with horns.... so there’s always the bad. I’ve taken friends from here with me to Montana and they can’t cut it. Don’t want to hike. Can’t glass for more then 5 mins. My GF went one year. Told me she’ll never hunt Montana again. Couldn’t tell her there’s easier ground to kill deer. 😃

I wasn’t trying to sound discouraging on numbers you will have no problem finding mule deer but as you know there’s not large numbers. I get where you’re coming from it’s fun but can be hard work chasing mulies in the cabinets. You could find a giant 👍 I will probably spend a few days in there next year it’s cool country. Those mountain mule deer can get in your blood and it’s hard to shake off. It gets easier as you get older :chuckle:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal