collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lost Decoy  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Cowboy15

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Tracker
Lost Decoy
« on: January 17, 2020, 04:11:56 PM »
I know it's a long shot, but I figured it's worth a try.
While hunting last Sunday on the Chehalis Wildlife Area I lost a Dakota Decoys mallard drake. It got blown out in water too deep for me to reach it and got hung up in some brush. I tried to get it throughout the week, and as of Wed. the water was still too deep. When I went back this morning the water was low enough for me to wade out to where it was hung up, but it was gone. I figure someone must've picked it up sometime yesterday. I'm just getting started and don't have a lot of gear yet, so if you picked this duck up I'd sure like to have it back. Please send me a PM and we can figure out when to meet. Thanks!

Offline HaydenHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Lost Decoy
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 05:30:09 PM »
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but if you don't have a way to retrieve your decoy in deep water what do you do when you sail a duck?

If you were closer to me I would give you one of my Dakota mallards.  I'm not particularly fond of them.  Hope you find your decoy.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 09:55:47 AM »
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but if you don't have a way to retrieve your decoy in deep water what do you do when you sail a duck?

If you were closer to me I would give you one of my Dakota mallards.  I'm not particularly fond of them.  Hope you find your decoy.

Wow??
His dog probably retrieves ducks and not decoys. I think you owe him those Dakota Mallards for that judgey reply   :chuckle:
Lead em if they're running.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 01:34:55 PM »

Solid point.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 01:37:07 PM »

Solid point.

Which point? Hopefully not being particularly fond of Dakota because the first statement was  :tdown:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 01:41:07 PM »

Solid point.

Sorry Cowboy 15  :bash:
Lead em if they're running.

Offline Cowboy15

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 02:51:25 PM »
A little more detail. I hunted the same area the week before and could easily wade anywhere out there. The water was between knee and waist deep. During the week the water came up. I saw that the water was higher when I got to the area the day I lost the decoy, but didn't think much of it. I set out the dekes, and after a half hour or so got hit with a really strong wind. The wind pushed the decoy out farther into the water. It wasn't until I went to get it that I realized how much the water had come up. I entertained the thought of borrowing a float tube to retrieve it (most likely the course of action I would have taken had it been a dead duck and not a decoy) but decided to wait for a couple days to see if the water would drop enough for me to get it. I knew it would be a long shot posting on here, and I also knew that I was opening myself up for criticism, but sometimes long shots pay off.

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 09:16:37 PM »
Hey man, I wasn't trying to criticize.  I hunted solo without dog or boat for a few years.  It was a legit question.  It really limited the shots I took on birds. 

If you get over to Eastern Washington / Spokane you are welcome to that decoy...and probably a few more.  Seriously.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 10:34:33 PM »
 :tup: :tup:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 08:02:08 AM »
Next time bring a fishing rod with a treble hook and cast out to get the ducks and dekes that get away.  you can get a take-down pack rod / reel that takes up little room.  I bring a floating plug to avoid snags, it will pick up ducks fine, you may need to use a spoon or something to get decoy line.

Offline Cowboy15

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 10:46:38 AM »
Thanks for the advice SuperX, I will throw one in on my next outing.

HaydenHunter, thanks for the offer on the decoys. Not having a boat or a dog has really limited the places I can hunt and the shots I can take. I will be looking for a small jonboat (possible even an inflatable pontoon) before next season. I haven't hunted ducks for six or seven years, and this is the first time I have really gotten serious about it. I'm learning a lot.

Offline 67 Halfcab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 11:35:28 AM »
If your living arrangement and lifestyle permit it, I highly recommend getting a dog.  Working with a retriever while waterfowling is the best time I have had while hunting.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 01:40:47 PM »
Next time bring a fishing rod with a treble hook and cast out to get the ducks and dekes that get away.  you can get a take-down pack rod / reel that takes up little room.  I bring a floating plug to avoid snags, it will pick up ducks fine, you may need to use a spoon or something to get decoy line.

This is what strategy I used to use before I had a dog as well. Helps to be pretty good at casting.

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 11:34:08 PM »
Hey Cowboy,

I have a buddy from this area who is doing a construction job up around Woodinville. Could provide transport for that decoy ( or a few) that I could give you to replace your lost drake mallard.  You ever get that far north?

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 09:03:58 AM »
Wal Mart has also marked down the Zink mallard decoys at their stores, if they have waterfowl gear at the one near you.  $20 a 6 pack of decoys.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]