collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk late muzzy  (Read 4294 times)

Offline swampbear

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Tracker
Re: Elk late muzzy
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 10:53:07 AM »
I guess it all depends on the feeling you get from the person. I’ve met really cool hunters, and new hunters,  who I was more than willing to share intel with. I’ve also met guys that gave off the vibe/way they talked, they were total *censored* bags, and just shrugged my shoulders like I didn’t know. Perfect example, I’ve been getting ready to walk into gated public land I scouted numerous times, and hunt regularly. I had a truck whip in, and hunters practically sprint to get ahead of me, without acknowledging me, asking which direction I was heading, or “hey do you mind if we cut ahead of you”. Then later when they came across me dragging out an animal, have the nerve to try to get intel from me where I was, and what I saw. A little courtesy and friendliness goes a long ways in my opinion.

Offline msg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 12:06:41 PM »
Exactly, I hunt public ground. None of it is mine. However there is no law that says I  have to sing like a canary to someone I do not know. I don't need any of those why did I open my mouth moments!

Offline Dark2Dark

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 03:00:54 PM »
When I was younger hunting public land I was always really excited to get my picture taken at the local gas station, pop out on the road where people could see me carrying the rack out, etc.

Now I skip the gas station and sneak out of the woods between trucks when I’m packing an animal out. I’d rather people think there are no animals in that area instead of them learning bulls are getting killed there. Selfish, maybe. But I would rather not be bouncing off guys all day.

This situation is a little different since you heard the shot and he fessed up to knocking one down.

Offline Clearcut

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2021, 03:17:08 PM »
Would completely depend upon the circumstances and any individual encounters or run ins I had with said person..

Personal encounter I had years ago during rifle season in a nut shell. Took a buddy out for rifle elk. First time for him. Got to said spot behind locked gates early. Road only goes to 2 landings. Guy comes up on us in dark and doesn’t acknowledge us until I say something. I try to get him to wait with us till daylight as I know there are multiple legal bulls in area. He Says no I have to go in there. Gonna meet my buddy? I’m like ok. Well he chose landing 2 we stopped at 1 and sat in the dark for 30+ min listening to elk walking around in clearing. At day light my buddy was able to kill his bull. Watched 2 more legal run off into timber. Mr I have to go meet my buddy comes running back down by us immediately after he heard the shots.. he asked me was there anymore? I said nope. Lone bull. Took another buddy back next day and was able to get him his first bull as well.
I had a similar experience, I had a fairly nice buck in my spotter on a Public piece, guy came up with his son that was no older then 12, I told him hey, I got this buck spotted if you give me 10 minutes he will bed and we can get your boy on him. He told me “this is public land you can’t tell me where to go or how to hunt, go f yourself” and took off, so I went and shot the buck 🤷‍♂️

Ya and you know I’ve had a experience where I was watching a spike buck one time. I knew I wasn’t gonna shoot it but I see a guy and his son. Maybe 8-9 years old at the time coming and they stopped cause they saw me and were waiting for me to do whatever I was gonna do. I waved them up and said hey there’s a spike buck down there If it’s something your son would like to shoot. I gotta sit there. Watch this boy kill his first buck and I even offered help to get it out.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 05:48:40 PM »
Had an experience slightly like that. Knew where a decent 3 point was hanging out so went and confirmed he was there. Knew the neighbors kid had a tag and had never harvested an animal so I went and talked to his dad to see if his son would like an opportunity at a decent buck. Sure he says. They follow me to the spot. The deer is just feeding. The kid is trying to get a good shot from a rest but after a few minutes just cant get a good bead on the buck. His dad tries coaching him for a bit but no luck. I'm contemplating the next move and before I know it dad shoots the buck! I just gave him a look and got up and walked off. Couldnt believe it!

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 07:07:44 PM »
Why would they need to ask which way they went? Every elk I have ever hunted left tracks, I would be following the tracks to see which way they went, therefore I would tell the hunter... "Their tracks went that way." I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't help them out a bit with some info.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]