collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone?  (Read 66129 times)

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
Re: Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone?
« Reply #300 on: July 03, 2020, 09:44:10 PM »
To bring this back to life....  I cant imagine that this hunt is even going to take place???  What are all of your thoughts????

I don't really or fully consider it a "hunt" but I think the NPS has a solid plan. I think it will likely go.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #301 on: July 04, 2020, 07:21:23 PM »
I agree it will happen. I hope the members selected will be able to post some stuff after it’s all done on here. I think it will be an interesting experience for sure

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #302 on: August 17, 2020, 12:52:40 PM »
Any Rumors on if the hunt is going to still happen or not???
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #303 on: August 17, 2020, 09:25:29 PM »
So far it sounds like its going ahead as planned..

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #304 on: August 24, 2020, 08:23:08 PM »
Just kind of fyi from a neighbor for any of the extremely lucky that got picked....
The park has been super crowded lately---maybe more than ever.  They have had to shutdown trailheads and the feeding roads because cars have been parked all along the sides for up to five miles.  Other places (Lake Crescent) have had lawn/picnic areas used for additional parking to handle the crowds.  I've been told that RVs and vehicles like sprinter vans and even trucks that can tow camping set ups have been selling faster than in years past---lots of road trips to America's parks, with Olympic seemingly getting a hefty share.  Hopefully all your trails will be open and not too crowded.  First group hunts in a couple weeks.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #305 on: August 24, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »
Just kind of fyi from a neighbor for any of the extremely lucky that got picked....
The park has been super crowded lately---maybe more than ever.  They have had to shutdown trailheads and the feeding roads because cars have been parked all along the sides for up to five miles.  Other places (Lake Crescent) have had lawn/picnic areas used for additional parking to handle the crowds.  I've been told that RVs and vehicles like sprinter vans and even trucks that can tow camping set ups have been selling faster than in years past---lots of road trips to America's parks, with Olympic seemingly getting a hefty share.  Hopefully all your trails will be open and not too crowded.  First group hunts in a couple weeks.

This is absolutely true, I have never seen so many people at the trails heads and campong areas.... it is freakin insane...
Staircase and Lake Cushman were completely shut down last weekend because of it...
I hope it doesn't affect the goat plans!

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #306 on: August 24, 2020, 10:58:59 PM »
I would hope they would shut the park down for the duration of the "hunt" just to avoid confrontation with antis and non hunters.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
« Reply #307 on: August 25, 2020, 05:16:59 AM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #308 on: August 26, 2020, 08:00:30 AM »
I went up to low divide last weekend and it was not too crowded.  Saw maybe 10-12 groups over 3 days.  Parking was reasonable at the North Fork Quinault Trailhead.  Granted, That trailhead is a bit further away than the ones that are said to be overcrowded.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #309 on: September 14, 2020, 01:31:33 PM »
It's been really foggy mixed with all the smoke up there. Guessing it is making spotting a little tough. Hope those guys are able to connect with at least a few.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #310 on: September 14, 2020, 02:35:30 PM »
Will the groups be able to post any updates on the hunt or eradication on here? I understood no pics but just hoping someone could post up how it generally went ?

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #311 on: September 14, 2020, 03:24:58 PM »
Global warming is really causing the goats to reproduce like fire.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #312 on: September 15, 2020, 06:58:34 AM »
I believe the first group is in there right now (web site says they went in around the 9th).

I was up at Lake Constance last weekend and the smoke was terrible.  200 yard vis.  The only way to get a goat is hit the hiking trails up high and hope to bump into one looking for minerals.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline graywolf

• Pilgrim
« Reply #313 on: October 03, 2020, 06:32:55 PM »
Hi, my first post here - just joined today.  First, I am not a hunter, but a very experienced climber and hiker of Olympic National Park.  I do support the hunting/culling of the mountain goat population in the Olympics, and am hoping to pass on some potentially helpful information to anyone on this forum who may be involved with this culling project. 

I've climbed Mt. Olympus eight times over the years, dating back to 1976.  I've also backpacked up to the lateral moraine to show friends and family the view a number of additional times.  The most recent was this past week when I took my wife there for her first repeat visit since 2016.  I also took some friends up there last summer.  Almost every time I've been to this area I have seen mountain goats on the Mt. Olympus massif.

This past Wednesday, September 30, my wife and I ran into a culling team who had just topped out on the rope ladder below Glacier Meadows.  When I asked if they were part of the culling hunters, they confirmed that they were and one of them asked us if we were part of "team three".  I asked if they had any luck, and unfortunately the answer was negative.  I told them where I usually saw goats, and they said they had glassed that area extensively without any sightings.

We continued on to Glacier Meadows, then on up to the top of the lateral moraine.  While eating lunch, I pulled out my pocket binoculars and started scanning Mt. Olympus, and sure enough spotted two goats.

If anyone is on the next group that is headed into that area this coming week, or if you know someone who is, please respond to me and I can forward on a couple of photos I took.  I also shot a compass bearing of the goats' location.

Thanks!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #314 on: October 03, 2020, 06:39:53 PM »
Hi, my first post here - just joined today.  First, I am not a hunter, but a very experienced climber and hiker of Olympic National Park.  I do support the hunting/culling of the mountain goat population in the Olympics, and am hoping to pass on some potentially helpful information to anyone on this forum who may be involved with this culling project. 

I've climbed Mt. Olympus eight times over the years, dating back to 1976.  I've also backpacked up to the lateral moraine to show friends and family the view a number of additional times.  The most recent was this past week when I took my wife there for her first repeat visit since 2016.  I also took some friends up there last summer.  Almost every time I've been to this area I have seen mountain goats on the Mt. Olympus massif.

This past Wednesday, September 30, my wife and I ran into a culling team who had just topped out on the rope ladder below Glacier Meadows.  When I asked if they were part of the culling hunters, they confirmed that they were and one of them asked us if we were part of "team three".  I asked if they had any luck, and unfortunately the answer was negative.  I told them where I usually saw goats, and they said they had glassed that area extensively without any sightings.

We continued on to Glacier Meadows, then on up to the top of the lateral moraine.  While eating lunch, I pulled out my pocket binoculars and started scanning Mt. Olympus, and sure enough spotted two goats.

If anyone is on the next group that is headed into that area this coming week, or if you know someone who is, please respond to me and I can forward on a couple of photos I took.  I also shot a compass bearing of the goats' location.

Thanks!
thank you for sharing and welcome  :hello:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter