collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WA Rep. Robert Sutherland's comments about fish and wildlife officers  (Read 15044 times)

Offline ucwarden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
On April 19th, at a protest over the "stay at home" order in Washington, Washington State Senator Robert Sutherland (Snohomish County, WA) made an outrageous statement to the crowd. Referring to the WA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife's decision to temporarily close hunting and fishing, Representative Sutherland called for the protesters to revolt against WDFW officers by saying;  if the state sends its “goons with guns, we will defend ourselves.”  “Governor, you send men with guns after us when we go fishing, we’ll see what a revolution looks like,” Sutherland said.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/washington-coronavirus-protest-inslee-stay-at-home?fbclid=IwAR1RLDW6SejczsOlBn6a3As_CgFJoGH7-5FjXUzjUzI0tZuIWU_q_d06VcAIn

In later interviews, Sutherland tried to walk back his comments by saying he meant "A revolution of love", showing this coward doesn't even have the fortitude to stand by his statements.

No matter your stance on opening the state back up, please show your support for WDFW officers by contacting the representative and voicing your opinion:
Representative Robert Sutherland
405 John L. O'Brien Building
P.O. Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504-0600
robert.sutherland@leg.wa.gov

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: WA Rep. Robert Sutherland's comments about fish and wildlife officers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 09:42:49 AM »
Good to see you on here, been a while. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 09:44:57 AM »
Good to see you on here, been a while.

I know.  Have some issues to deal with, but I still could have kept up on the forum.  No excuses, just an explanation.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 09:50:51 AM »
Sorry this is off topic, but I still tell people about your book and that investigation, epic!  And I believe everyone should read it!!  You still selling Operation Cody?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 09:56:14 AM »
On April 19th, at a protest over the "stay at home" order in Washington, Washington State Senator Robert Sutherland (Snohomish County, WA) made an outrageous statement to the crowd. Referring to the WA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife's decision to temporarily close hunting and fishing, Representative Sutherland called for the protesters to revolt against WDFW officers by saying;  if the state sends its “goons with guns, we will defend ourselves.”  “Governor, you send men with guns after us when we go fishing, we’ll see what a revolution looks like,” Sutherland said.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/washington-coronavirus-protest-inslee-stay-at-home?fbclid=IwAR1RLDW6SejczsOlBn6a3As_CgFJoGH7-5FjXUzjUzI0tZuIWU_q_d06VcAIn

In later interviews, Sutherland tried to walk back his comments by saying he meant "A revolution of love", showing this coward doesn't even have the fortitude to stand by his statements.

No matter your stance on opening the state back up, please show your support for WDFW officers by contacting the representative and voicing your opinion:
P.O. Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504-0600

Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with what was said....(I disagree fundamentally) I think the point he was trying to make is...people are tired of the bullpoop.  WDFW can influence the governors decision....yet they don't.

You also have to remember there are quite a few of us on here that have negative interactions with WDFW officers while doing everything right.  They have a made their bed and now they don't like laying in it....maybe they will learn to be a little nicer in the future and garner the trust of sportsmen and women. 

I don't agree with what was said....but I will not support a dept. that has continually made bad decisions.  Until the wardens start representing themselves as advocates for the sport and sportsmen and women.....they will not get my support.  I was guilty until proven innocent....and even when I proved my innocence (in about 2 minutes on the phone), I never got a "I'm Sorry."  Two years later I meet the guy face to face at a local function and he acts like my best friend.....get real buddy.  I hope he learned a lesson.  I have a clean record in all aspects of my life and he treated me like a criminal, abused his perceived power when interacting with a minor (my daughter) and admitted to having me pegged as guilty before knowing the facts.  People are tired of this kind of shat, so it is no wonder the WDFW is catching so much flack durring this shutdown.   :bash: :bash: :bash:

Offline ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 10:04:34 AM »
Sorry this is off topic, but I still tell people about your book and that investigation, epic!  And I believe everyone should read it!!  You still selling Operation Cody?
Thanks.  The book is still available on Amazon

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 10:09:53 AM »
It is ALWAYS a bad idea to mess with someone with a badge and gun.  That is a good way to die a martyr and accomplish nothing.

If you got brass balls  go fish doing everything else legal then fight the ticket in court. That would do more for everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 10:34:27 AM »

P.O. Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504-0600

Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with what was said....(I disagree fundamentally) I think the point he was trying to make is...people are tired of the bullpoop.  WDFW can influence the governors decision....yet they don't.

You also have to remember there are quite a few of us on here that have negative interactions with WDFW officers while doing everything right.  They have a made their bed and now they don't like laying in it....maybe they will learn to be a little nicer in the future and garner the trust of sportsmen and women. 

I don't agree with what was said....but I will not support a dept. that has continually made bad decisions.  Until the wardens start representing themselves as advocates for the sport and sportsmen and women.....they will not get my support.  I was guilty until proven innocent....and even when I proved my innocence (in about 2 minutes on the phone), I never got a "I'm Sorry."  Two years later I meet the guy face to face at a local function and he acts like my best friend.....get real buddy.  I hope he learned a lesson.  I have a clean record in all aspects of my life and he treated me like a criminal, abused his perceived power when interacting with a minor (my daughter) and admitted to having me pegged as guilty before knowing the facts.  People are tired of this kind of shat, so it is no wonder the WDFW is catching so much flack durring this shutdown.   

jrebel:

I respect everyone's right to express their opinions, as you just did, however there is simply no excuse or explanation for calling on sportsmen to resist the lawful duties of law enforcement officers.  Also, for a state representative to call law enforcement officers "goons" is totally unprofessional and degrading. 

Your response is one I heard all of my career; "You guys are all #$%#" or "Every game warden I ever met was rude and was on a power trip" etc. etc.  By making comments like that you are lumping all of us into one category.  Because you don't agree with something WDFW does, it's all the employees fault.  Game Wardens are just like everyone else; there are good ones and bad ones, positive ones and negative ones, we are all just people.  Whatever you do for a living, I am pretty sure that if I lumped you in with everyone else who has a similar profession, you would object, so what makes you think it's fair to judge an entire group based on your experience with one individual?

As for F&W officers not acting as advocates for "the sport the sportsmen and women", that too is a ridiculous statement.  How do you know what F&W officers have or have not done when it comes to being advocates for sportsmen?  Additionally, remember that because you don't see something change the way you want it to, does not mean WDFW employees weren't trying as hard as they could behind the scenes. 

In the past, I have certainly had my share of differences with the administration of my former agency.  I stood up for you, your fellow sportsmen, and the fine officers of WDFW to the point that it did serious damage to my career (ask around).  I am an avid hunter and fisherman, and so is my wife, so for someone to imply I haven't done enough for sportsmen kinda chaps my hide (yes I know you didn't fault me directly).  In my 34-years as a WA game warden, I have been hospitalized more than once as a result of being assaulted by wanted felons, and I lost a friend and colleague to a poacher's bullet.  So, other than posting negative comments on here, what have you done to further your cause?  When did you last attend a WDFW commission meeting?  When was the last time you expressed your opinions to WDFW in written form?

In closing jrebel, I look forward to hearing from you in the future and do appreciate your at least paying attention to this post, but please don't lump us all together.  The men and women who serve as WDFW enforcement officers are some of the finest people I have ever had the honor to meet.

Someday, if you want to talk in person, give me a call:  Todd Vandivert- (509) 202-3150
Stay safe

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:52:41 AM by ucwarden »

Offline ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 10:36:31 AM »
It is ALWAYS a bad idea to mess with someone with a badge and gun.  That is a good way to die a martyr and accomplish nothing.

If you got brass balls  go fish doing everything else legal then fight the ticket in court. That would do more for everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank you special T, for saying what I have for decades; if you want to fight with an officer (of any kind) do so only in court.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 10:48:58 AM »
Yup. Representative Robert Sutherland crossed the line a bit but quickly walked it back. The non-violent protest was about the Governor and the WDFW's failures. Rather than waste your time contacting Representative Robert Sutherland for someone's agenda, do something more constructive and contact Jay, everyone in the WA Congress and the top of the WDFW and tell them to open hunting and fishing. No more lame excuses. The science is out. Sunlight kills the virus and you don't have to drink bleach for the cure.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 10:57:00 AM »
Yup. Representative Robert Sutherland crossed the line a bit but quickly walked it back. The non-violent protest was about the Governor and the WDFW's failures. Rather than waste your time contacting Representative Robert Sutherland for someone's agenda, do something more constructive and contact Jay, everyone in the WA Congress and the top of the WDFW and tell them to open hunting and fishing. No more lame excuses. The science is out. Sunlight kills the virus and you don't have to drink bleach for the cure.

"Crossed the line a bit.....".  I would call that a GROSS UNDERSTATEMENT !!  Sutherland was advocating forcefully resisting law enforcement officers who were doing their job.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 11:04:41 AM »

Pegasus:
Thank you for your response, but it brings up one point I would disagree with and one question; First, I think Sutherland's comments go far beyond being a bit over the line, and I in no way believe he "quickly walked it back" just because Sutherland later said he meant a "revolution of love", I think that's total BS.  The question, which your response brought up is, whose "agenda" are you referring to?

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 11:06:00 AM »
I will also adress the public safety committee with a letter.  I was literally speechless at his comments. 

Offline ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 11:06:21 AM »

"Crossed the line a bit.....".  I would call that a GROSS UNDERSTATEMENT !!  Sutherland was advocating forcefully resisting law enforcement officers who were doing their job.
I couldn't agree more Igor.  Thanks

Offline ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 11:07:47 AM »
I will also adress the public safety committee with a letter.  I was literally speechless at his comments.

Thank you Tbar.  I appreciate your support, as I am sure every WDFW officer does.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]