collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ok BEST bullet in general for elk.  (Read 5763 times)

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: Ok BEST bullet in general for elk.
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 07:14:58 AM »
lead bullets often get a bad reputation by folks using powerbelts and pushing a tiny light weight bullet way past its limits. Big heavy, non hollow point lead slugs often do just as fine as copper bullets.

Its hunting, hunters are suckers for the next biggest, best thing.
If I didn't want lead in meat, I'd use lead over copper.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 07:52:41 AM »
Lead in my experience leaves a half inch hole without much damage.  Copper has left a bigger wound channel and kills quicker.  A few years ago my dad shot a bull through one lung, the heart, and liver.  There was a half inch hole through all three and it took about 5 minutes to fall over.  A few years ago I shot a bull in the heart and the heart was shredded.  The bull took two steps and fell over in about one second.  That just two examples.  In my experience it isn’t marketing hype.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 08:25:05 AM »
Lead in my experience leaves a half inch hole without much damage.  Copper has left a bigger wound channel and kills quicker.  A few years ago my dad shot a bull through one lung, the heart, and liver.  There was a half inch hole through all three and it took about 5 minutes to fall over.  A few years ago I shot a bull in the heart and the heart was shredded.  The bull took two steps and fell over in about one second.  That just two examples.  In my experience it isn’t marketing hype.

Interesting. 
Thanks for the reply.

We have markedly different experiences......  I suspect this might be a Ford/Chevy/Dodge thing.   :-)

I am convinced that the best bullet is the one that goes through the heart.

Be well!
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 11:24:35 AM »
A lead conical will do more than a 1/2" diameter hole thats for sure.

This is the entrance hole on an elk with a .490" round ball, pushed by 70gr 3fg.

Same load as above but on a hog close to 200lbs.

Then with copper you run into the issue of not hitting the correct velocity on impact and then they dont open up at all, or only partially. Every bullet has its limits and concerns IMO. There is no fix all bullet made.

Offline Randysonia

• Pelvic Splitter
  • Tracker
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 07:29:56 PM »
My favorite is the 300 grain Swift A-Frame, then the 300 grain Dead Center by precision bullet company in my 700 Remington 50 Cal. M/L. I think just about anything will do the job with a bullet placement in the lungs.

Offline haftard

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 06:14:26 AM »

Then with copper you run into the issue of not hitting the correct velocity on impact and then they dont open up at all, or only partially. Every bullet has its limits and concerns IMO. There is no fix all bullet made.

Why are you worried about expansion when its a .50 cal hole,to begin with

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 08:00:42 AM »
because when they open, its a normally a hole thats twice the bullet diameter. A copper thor for example expands to just under 1" Plus you want that energy transfer. Non expanding bullets are illegal on big game in colorado, not sure about washington.

Offline mallardaddict

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 09:32:40 PM »
I’ve had great luck with the Nosler 300gr Ballistic Tips

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 05:23:56 PM »
I know we have been talking about Lead Bullets but what is everyone's thoughts on BEST ELK BULLET PERIOD! I shoot a knight bighorn and have always shot the 295g HP Power belts and have killed elk in the past but i want to change because i know there are way better bullets. And Go!!!

These are my favorites - their 'Terminal Ballistics' are great

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline haftard

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 07:06:50 PM »
Any of the sold coper bullets are great. I shot the bloodline bullets and they do there job. Imo a copper or brass slug way out performs lead in a muzzle loader. The hornadys sst in 300g are a great option also.

What makes you say copper bullets outperform lead?

I don't want to argue, but I'm interested in your perspective/experience.

I shoot a Harvester hard cast lead, and they are brutally effective on elk.    Most amazing wound channels I've ever seen.

But I am open to learning.

Thanks.

So the theory on the copper vs lead is that a 300g copper slug vs 300g lead slug and 300g coper plated slug is the the copper slug will have a higher bc then the lead or plated bullet. Higher bc means a more accurate and efficient bullet.

And to touch on expansion and energy transfer. Imo a copper bullet has a more consistent mushrooming effect vs the lead. I feel with the copper bullets they are fully exspanded sooner and hold together better.

Now i shoot a brass bullet. It opens up and,peddles like some of the self defence rounds. (Its hard to explain without hand motions) but thing of the wond channle from a lead or copper bullet being the size of a orange. These brass bullets have a wond channle starts at 50cal and blows up to the size of a watermellon. The peddles going into the heart, low in the lugs, high in the lungs and a slug that pushes threw the middle.

Yes lead will kill it just as dead but i feel with the brass i have a better chance of a bad shot accualy being a good shot if you know what i mean.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2020, 07:14:23 PM »
I like the 9.3x62mm Mauser 285 Grain Soft Point for my 9.3X62
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2020, 08:08:32 AM »
Any of the sold coper bullets are great. I shot the bloodline bullets and they do there job. Imo a copper or brass slug way out performs lead in a muzzle loader. The hornadys sst in 300g are a great option also.

What makes you say copper bullets outperform lead?

I don't want to argue, but I'm interested in your perspective/experience.

I shoot a Harvester hard cast lead, and they are brutally effective on elk.    Most amazing wound channels I've ever seen.

But I am open to learning.

Thanks.

So the theory on the copper vs lead is that a 300g copper slug vs 300g lead slug and 300g coper plated slug is the the copper slug will have a higher bc then the lead or plated bullet. Higher bc means a more accurate and efficient bullet.

And to touch on expansion and energy transfer. Imo a copper bullet has a more consistent mushrooming effect vs the lead. I feel with the copper bullets they are fully exspanded sooner and hold together better.

Now i shoot a brass bullet. It opens up and,peddles like some of the self defence rounds. (Its hard to explain without hand motions) but thing of the wond channle from a lead or copper bullet being the size of a orange. These brass bullets have a wond channle starts at 50cal and blows up to the size of a watermellon. The peddles going into the heart, low in the lugs, high in the lungs and a slug that pushes threw the middle.

Yes lead will kill it just as dead but i feel with the brass i have a better chance of a bad shot accualy being a good shot if you know what i mean.

The brass Lehigh or Knight Lehigh is truly a devastating bullet. The controlled fracturing works just like you describe.  Same for the newer Lehigh solid copper bullets.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]