collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021  (Read 22208 times)

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch.
Re: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021
« Reply #375 on: January 16, 2021, 07:50:06 AM »
I forget exactly how many outfitters get, but if they are not used by the end of July the public gets the rest of them.

Another thing I forgot to mention, nonresident youth tags are unlimited and not even a part of the non-resident quota, most people do not know that. Additionally, Youth deer tags are also still valid for any general deer unit. If an elk zone or deer unit is sold out you can still buy youth tags for that zone or unit.

Thanks for the youth info. Did not know that. :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #376 on: January 16, 2021, 08:32:47 AM »
More than anything this has caused, I believe poaching will go sky high in Idaho!  Idaho is already a poacher friendly state, now by limiting tags, it will cause even more to become trigger happy without a tag.  Just because you limit the amount of tags doesnít mean you wonít limit the amount of animals killed.

I find it hard to believe this.  It implies that a high percentage of hunters would poach given the opportunity.  Having grown up in a large hunting community, there's just a tiny amount of people who will poach and they will poach regardless of what the game department is doing. 

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #377 on: January 16, 2021, 09:59:51 AM »
I do have a question on deer tags.  Take the panhandle area.

Who would voluntarily buy a whitetail tag for the panhandle, when they can shoot either a mule deer or a whitetail with the regular tag, assuming there is quota available for both?  Seems a little odd to me.

There are even tags in the mountains where both species more readily coexist, where there are still any deer tags available, but still some people have selected the whitetail tags. 

Am I missing something or are people just dumb?
youíre not missing anything, people that buy a whitetail tag first in the panhandle are making a dumb move.  But not as dumb as the people that bought regular deer tags in units like 14 and 18.  They handicapped themselves to only hunting till the 3rd of November.  My guess is that they are new to the Idaho game and didnít know any better.

Sometimes you wonder how many people who bought those 14 and 18 tags realize they cannot hunt mule deer with that tag? Or maybe it's the people who hunt the private property buying those tags.

It's possible that guys wanted a deer tag to go along with an elk tag so if they saw a whitetail while elk hunting they could shoot it.  In 14 at least, whitetail tags are sold out so a regular tag might have been their only choice. If your hunting trip is planned for Oct 10 - Oct 24 around the modern rifle season for elk, and your deer tag is just for the chance of taking a deer on the same hunt, a regular tag is as good as a whitetail tag, especially now that your deer tag is only good for one unit. Either tag will cover you during modern elk season, if you are hunting elk in 14. 

Before this year, you might have gotten a reg tag with the idea you'd take a whitetail if you got the chance during elk season in 14, then if you didn't you could switch units and hunt mulies someplace where it was legal.  For example, when I elk hunted in 14, I had a whitetail tag, but a couple buddies had regular tags. Once elk season ended, we spent a few days deer hunting in 19A so they could look for mulies. Its right next door and we stayed in the same camp while we did that. Now that you are confined to one unit for deer, that option isn't available.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #378 on: January 19, 2021, 05:20:06 PM »
I forget exactly how many outfitters get, but if they are not used by the end of July the public gets the rest of them.

Another thing I forgot to mention, nonresident youth tags are unlimited and not even a part of the non-resident quota, most people do not know that. Additionally, Youth deer tags are also still valid for any general deer unit. If an elk zone or deer unit is sold out you can still buy youth tags for that zone or unit.

Thanks for the youth info. Did not know that. :tup:

I didn't either.  Might be the year to get Little Pathfinder out of school for  a couple of days...  He has way better luck than me... :chuckle:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #379 on: January 19, 2021, 08:02:42 PM »
Idaho Non Resident Tag Quota page is saying its sold out totals include Guide tags.
With 4000 + tags available as leftover maybe you coukd get a second tag in a different area but they probably wonít knowingly allow that

I can tell you for certain that this year the individual quotas for each outfitter have not even been figured out yet, they are not even available to sell yet. You can't buy second deer or elk tags until Aug 1, even though I doubt any tags will remain at that time, any returned tags after Aug 1 could be purchased as a second tag the way I understand it.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw) for spring bear, fall bear, buffalo, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Second run by OutHouse
[Today at 08:15:53 AM]

What is your favorite .22?!!! by ne kid
[Today at 08:07:24 AM]

Utah !!! by Brushbuster
[Today at 08:04:15 AM]

Spring bear, 2021, DNRY by Ridgerunner
[Today at 08:02:37 AM]

FS: Rem 700, AR-15 and Stevens 311C by robescc
[Today at 07:53:02 AM]