collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mute Swan  (Read 11254 times)

Offline jbeaumont21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Mute Swan
« on: December 30, 2020, 07:18:01 PM »
I know this topic has been on here before but I still don't have any real evidence that it is legal to shoot one in WA state?  :dunno:  Can anyone confirm?  Had one land in my spread today and had to watch it fly away.  :bash:

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Mute Swan
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 07:34:28 PM »
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:00:07 PM by Tbar »

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 08:10:00 PM »
Cant shoot swans in the Pacific Flyway... Got to go to the central flyway to do so.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 08:21:13 PM »
Cant shoot swans in the Pacific Flyway... Got to go to the central flyway to do so.

What's the reference for that?

WDFW has them in the unclassified category which I believe allows hunting all year with a big or small game license - similar to coyotes.

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 08:39:59 PM »
um aint they federally protected and subject to federal law which is basically unspoken compared to state law?

gotta taste good if theyre protected.....

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 08:45:38 PM »
Feds declared them non-native unprotected in 2005.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 08:49:44 PM »
Feds declared them non-native unprotected in 2005.
Are they still protected by WAC?

( 8 ) Escaped animals:

(a) Escaped deleterious exotic wildlife, including Fallow deer (Dama dama) and reindeer (all members of the genus Rangifer, except Rangifer tarandus caribou) will be considered a public nuisance. The department or any peace officer may seize, capture, or destroy deleterious exotic wildlife that have escaped the possessor's control. The former possessor shall be responsible for costs incurred by the department in recovering, maintaining, or disposing of such animals, as well as any damage to the state's wildlife or habitat.

(b) Escapes of deleterious exotic wildlife must be reported immediately to the department.

(c) The recapture or death of escaped deleterious exotic wildlife must be reported immediately to the department.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 09:17:45 PM »
That's if you are keeping them as pets.  If they escape you need to notify WDFW so the can address it as they are considered a nuisance and compete with native birds.

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 09:36:24 PM »
um aint they federally protected and subject to federal law which is basically unspoken compared to state law?

Ok quoting myself here.... For me this thread is an ornithology lesson.... I knew about the trumpeter and tundra swans but wasnt aware of the 3rd genus.... So I retract my prior statements

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 09:43:32 PM »

WDFW has them in the unclassified category which I believe allows hunting all year with a big or small game license - similar to coyotes.

I thought you were at the Washington Waterfowl Association  NW chapter Meeting when Kyle Spragens Waterfowl section MGR talked about this?

They are worried about "accidental harvest" not unlike the the Dusky situation in the SW part of the state... but one of the swans "cant remember which one" is endangered and the accidental killing of those cannot be risked.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 09:46:54 PM »

I've had trumpeter swan from Utah a few years ago, it was fantastic. The meat was very pale, like cougar. A friend applied for a permit and drew one of the few that year. I think they still have a hunt for them?
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 09:49:33 PM »

I thought you were at the Washington Waterfowl Association  NW chapter Meeting when Kyle Spragens Waterfowl section MGR talked about this?

They are worried about "accidental harvest" not unlike the the Dusky situation in the SW part of the state... but one of the swans "cant remember which one" is endangered and the accidental killing of those cannot be risked.
No, must have missed that one but it does make sense.  I couldn’t find it in the regs or wacs, could be another phantom dept rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 09:52:26 PM »

I've had trumpeter swan from Utah a few years ago, it was fantastic. The meat was very pale, like cougar. A friend applied for a permit and drew one of the few that year. I think they still have a hunt for them?
You probably had tundra swan?

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 09:54:12 PM »

You probably had tundra swan?

At that meeting we were told it was more likely we would get a swan season than a second bag limit for Mergansers... (both were low so he said)

Confucius

Offline callturner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 10:07:43 PM »
In a nutshell it says they are not federally protected but you need permission from wdfw

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal