collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crossbow for turkey?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline 253shotgunner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GSSF, TSC
Crossbow for turkey?
« on: January 23, 2021, 10:32:42 PM »
Anybody hunt turkey with a crossbow? What is its effective range?
I am interested in getting one. What brands should I look at?
Thanks, 253shotgunner
Turkey Geek

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Crossbow for turkey?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 12:12:42 AM »
Anybody hunt turkey with a crossbow? What is its effective range?
I am interested in getting one. What brands should I look at?
Thanks, 253shotgunner
Yep...depends on how far you effectively practice with one..I have a Stryker which is made by biotech but I think the are discontinued now.   But with practice 75 yes should be doable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 12:18:08 AM »
Also just read reviews and buy what you want and you will have a blast hunting them with a xbow

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 05:24:40 PM »
If you have a steady hand and a little practice you can get the same range you would expect out of a shotgun. With a scope most shoot like a rifle. Obviously jerking the trigger and wind will be more of a factor but they are fun to shoot. My dad and I were poking half dollar size dots at 30 yards consistently. That was the max range we had for shooting. Younger hunters love them too because they have no kick and no loud bang.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 07:20:34 PM »
Back in college I spent some time in a part of the world where turkeys are considered a nuisance and killed A LOT of them with a crossbow.  I'd recommend a heavy bolt/broadhead.  Crossbow bolts are smaller and therefore don't carry as much energy downrange as a compound bow.  I hit a turkey near the base of the wing with a crossbow it shrugged it off.  Surprised the hell out of me.  Using a new/sharp broadhead and it didn't penetrate at all.  It just bounced off and fell on the ground.  The flock didn't even spook until I stood up in disbelief. 

After that I've only used the compound bow.  Not to say crossbow can't be done--just be careful.

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 07:26:19 PM »
I have a tent point crossbow  and it shoots  very well  too 100 and as long as steady up too 125 never tried further but I’m sure it’s doable

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 08:44:58 PM »
Back in college I spent some time in a part of the world where turkeys are considered a nuisance and killed A LOT of them with a crossbow.  I'd recommend a heavy bolt/broadhead.  Crossbow bolts are smaller and therefore don't carry as much energy downrange as a compound bow.  I hit a turkey near the base of the wing with a crossbow it shrugged it off.  Surprised the hell out of me.  Using a new/sharp broadhead and it didn't penetrate at all.  It just bounced off and fell on the ground.  The flock didn't even spook until I stood up in disbelief. 

After that I've only used the compound bow.  Not to say crossbow can't be done--just be careful.
Never seen a bolt bounce off an animal.  Don't know what xbow or bolt you were using but it doesn't sound right.  I have seen them go right through a bird and the bird not even flinch cause of a bad shot.  But the follow up shot is usually a killer.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 09:32:59 PM »

Never seen a bolt bounce off an animal.  Don't know what xbow or bolt you were using but it doesn't sound right.  I have seen them go right through a bird and the bird not even flinch cause of a bad shot.  But the follow up shot is usually a killer.

It was a cheap one.  I don't remember the brand or draw weight because it was a long time ago, but I do recall the draw weight was on the light side for hunting crossbows (because I was in college and was poor).  Don't remember the weight of the bolt, but I believe the broadhead was a Muzzy 100g.  Killed plenty of deer and pigs with the same setup just fine before and after that. 

I would have thought it was some sort of optical illusion, but a buddy was there and saw the same thing.  It just sort of thudded and the bird shivered and bounced it off.  I'm sure he was a little sore the next day, but we followed the flock and couldn't tell which one it was.  Turkeys are are tough birds.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 05:06:37 PM »

It was a cheap one.  I don't remember the brand or draw weight because it was a long time ago, but I do recall the draw weight was on the light side for hunting crossbows (because I was in college and was poor).  Don't remember the weight of the bolt, but I believe the broadhead was a Muzzy 100g.  Killed plenty of deer and pigs with the same setup just fine before and after that. 

I would have thought it was some sort of optical illusion, but a buddy was there and saw the same thing.  It just sort of thudded and the bird shivered and bounced it off.  I'm sure he was a little sore the next day, but we followed the flock and couldn't tell which one it was.  Turkeys are are tough birds.
Cross bow or compound a person should really consider only taking neck shots. The vitals on a turkey are small and sometimes hard to understand exactly where they are. The neck is not much smaller then the vitals. Something to consider. My wife put a arrow from a 42# compound through a turkey and it ran off. Bad shot obviously but if she was aiming for the head she likely would have at least had a second chance. And not have killed a turkey she didn’t get.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]