collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring Bear Pelt Submission  (Read 20419 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Spring Bear Pelt Submission
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2021, 04:20:12 PM »
Still no definitive answer then

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2021, 04:24:04 PM »
I had the same experience. Called the Spokane office on my way through and they said it could be a few hours or maybe not even that day. So they contacted my local office and they called me back. Still couldn’t do it that day but did meet me the next morning. Hopefully once these Covid restrictions are off it’s not such an issue. They told me it was because they were all still working from home or else they would have someone available at the office to do it
Sounds like they should have at least postponed this new stupid law another year.  I hope they scrap it after this year.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2021, 04:35:26 PM »
I had the same experience. Called the Spokane office on my way through and they said it could be a few hours or maybe not even that day. So they contacted my local office and they called me back. Still couldn’t do it that day but did meet me the next morning. Hopefully once these Covid restrictions are off it’s not such an issue. They told me it was because they were all still working from home or else they would have someone available at the office to do it
Sounds like they should have at least postponed this new stupid law another year.  I hope they scrap it after this year.

I got a call back from the local gal here in Wenatchee. She is sick and can't do it until Wednesday morning. She mentioned not being a fan of the new requirements and they are still learning the ropes
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2021, 08:16:49 PM »
I know of multiple problems and delays.  I think people need to contact the commissioners and director concerning these issues.  Not acceptable and completely unrealistic expectations of hunters and their biologist. 

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2021, 10:07:31 PM »
Almost put a post about this the other day but decided to tag onto this one..this whole issue is beyond frustrating to me. On Friday I had 4 spring bears on their way in from various spots in the state. 2 of the 4 successful hunters called me asking if a ‘seal’ is required as they were told it was by biologists. The other two hunters already had their bears checked and one said the ‘check’ was proof of sex, pulling of a tooth, and general condition. No seal was every applied. However of the 2 hunters that had theirs checked, one of the hunters kept saying the bio kept saying ‘let me seal it’, as if what he was doing was the act of sealing. It confused the hunter.
In regards to the other two hunters that called me awaiting checks, they were VERY confused as they were both told by WDFW operators and a bio that all spring bears have to be sealed. I figuared they meant just ‘ checked’ but nevertheless their incorrect terminology was causing an issue along with confusing the hunters.
I ended up calling a lead biologist and stated my concern and request for verification in regards to seals, access, and proof of sex. This is what she said...NO, no seals for bears. Access for checks can either be in-field or preferred at a WDFW office. I stated my concern with a lack of personnel and she did agree they didn’t have enough people/bios for checks. In regards to proof of sex, it has to be the actual sex organs still ‘naturally attached’ to the pelt, nipples don’t count as boars have them too. The shocking piece that was volunteered was the bio said they are looking primarily for lactating sows and it all made sense to me now....which I will explain later. I told her I poured through the regs snd found NOTHING in regards to this info and she did agree that was a poor literature release on their part. She did send me a pdf file later in regards to spring bear regs, but it was not publicly released till RIGHT before season started. After speaking with her I voiced my concern with other bios terminology about ‘seals’ and she didn’t say much.
After speaking with her I also called a local WDFW warden who I trust and have dealt with on various other game issues. He was mis-informed as well, stating he was under the belief all spring bears had to have seals....until I told him what the bio said. Wow!

So here’s my ‘jumping to conclusion’ sections- from what the bio told me about checking of sex snd condition I believe they are working on another venue to abolish spring bears since the last attempt failed. From the implications the bio told me, it seems they are going to work the argument that too many lactating sows are being shot, the cubs are being lost and that will be their ammunition for revision of this Hunt opportunity....again, from what I can gather.
The moral is they are confusing in their rules and regulations and need to get their department together for a meeting on mere terminology of what they are telling hunters. For the hunters it causes some significant chances for violations which could easily be avoided. 2 of the hunters that brought bears in were returning clients and I know them enough to believe them when they advised their paperwork following notification of their successful tag draw was contradictory and confusing as well. I agree with Jrebel about contacting the commission about this mess.
Leaving on a better note...some really nice bears being brought it in!! FYI...all boars thus far, lol.

WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2021, 12:29:35 AM »
Yes they want to shut down spring bear hunting. Reporting is very important. This is despite the fact that only 2 BMU are anywhere near sow harvest limits in a 1-2 year period. In the 10 year average we are safe. This is an Animal Rights Activists wet dream and we need to disprove it as much as possible.

This check was pushed by anti predator hunting forces which keans we need to oush back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:34:26 PM by Special T »
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2021, 06:42:40 AM »
If they do get rid of spring bear that would be a disaster for the elk in the blues, that would end any respect I have left for the wdfw.  I know some of the people are very good stewards and care about our wildlife but a move like that would just punctuate the fact that wdfw is ran by anti hunters.  I've always felt it was 50/50, maybe I was way off.  Truly hope your thoughts are way off Blackriver, but I sure feel like your spot on. 

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2021, 07:50:30 AM »
So be sure you either shoot a boar or you were unsuccessful.....For future spring bear hunters and the future of our deer and elk herds sake....

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2021, 09:04:28 AM »
Almost put a post about this the other day but decided to tag onto this one..this whole issue is beyond frustrating to me. On Friday I had 4 spring bears on their way in from various spots in the state. 2 of the 4 successful hunters called me asking if a ‘seal’ is required as they were told it was by biologists. The other two hunters already had their bears checked and one said the ‘check’ was proof of sex, pulling of a tooth, and general condition. No seal was every applied. However of the 2 hunters that had theirs checked, one of the hunters kept saying the bio kept saying ‘let me seal it’, as if what he was doing was the act of sealing. It confused the hunter.
In regards to the other two hunters that called me awaiting checks, they were VERY confused as they were both told by WDFW operators and a bio that all spring bears have to be sealed. I figuared they meant just ‘ checked’ but nevertheless their incorrect terminology was causing an issue along with confusing the hunters.
I ended up calling a lead biologist and stated my concern and request for verification in regards to seals, access, and proof of sex. This is what she said...NO, no seals for bears. Access for checks can either be in-field or preferred at a WDFW office. I stated my concern with a lack of personnel and she did agree they didn’t have enough people/bios for checks. In regards to proof of sex, it has to be the actual sex organs still ‘naturally attached’ to the pelt, nipples don’t count as boars have them too. The shocking piece that was volunteered was the bio said they are looking primarily for lactating sows and it all made sense to me now....which I will explain later. I told her I poured through the regs snd found NOTHING in regards to this info and she did agree that was a poor literature release on their part. She did send me a pdf file later in regards to spring bear regs, but it was not publicly released till RIGHT before season started. After speaking with her I voiced my concern with other bios terminology about ‘seals’ and she didn’t say much.
After speaking with her I also called a local WDFW warden who I trust and have dealt with on various other game issues. He was mis-informed as well, stating he was under the belief all spring bears had to have seals....until I told him what the bio said. Wow!

So here’s my ‘jumping to conclusion’ sections- from what the bio told me about checking of sex snd condition I believe they are working on another venue to abolish spring bears since the last attempt failed. From the implications the bio told me, it seems they are going to work the argument that too many lactating sows are being shot, the cubs are being lost and that will be their ammunition for revision of this Hunt opportunity....again, from what I can gather.
The moral is they are confusing in their rules and regulations and need to get their department together for a meeting on mere terminology of what they are telling hunters. For the hunters it causes some significant chances for violations which could easily be avoided. 2 of the hunters that brought bears in were returning clients and I know them enough to believe them when they advised their paperwork following notification of their successful tag draw was contradictory and confusing as well. I agree with Jrebel about contacting the commission about this mess.
Leaving on a better note...some really nice bears being brought it in!! FYI...all boars thus far, lol.

But how would they know it’s a lactating sow if the nipples don’t have to be attached?
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2021, 09:42:05 AM »
If no nipples, then ALL sows are counted as "lactating sows"  then.

They're not our friends...

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2021, 11:25:57 AM »
Well I shot a Sow. But she was old and dry. The bio was glad because he did say the group opposed to spring season are convinced all Sows shot in the spring season are leaving cubs to starve to death. And yes this is the whole reason for the check in to shut the season down due to cub mortality, otherwise we would be doing it in fall too.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2021, 11:50:24 AM »
I hope she was counted as "old and dry" rather than a sow with potential cubs.

My skepticism is sky high with this.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2021, 11:54:56 AM »
Apparently they can tell how many times they have birthed Cubs based on the rings on the tooth or root of the tooth.  They can also tell the Age.  I’m sure they will use those numbers to screw hunters one way or another.   :dunno:

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »
And yes this is the whole reason for the check in to shut the season down due to cub mortality, otherwise we would be doing it in fall too.

Start with bait and hounds.
Move to spring bear
follow with fall bear.
Move on to Cougar
Then Elk...
and so on.

Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2021, 12:06:03 PM »
So be sure you either shoot a boar or you were unsuccessful.....For future spring bear hunters and the future of our deer and elk herds sake....
:yeah: Great Idea! 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]