collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Legislation aims to drastically reduce Idaho wolf population  (Read 9053 times)

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
Legislation aims to drastically reduce Idaho wolf population
« on: February 25, 2021, 11:06:37 AM »
Legislation aims to drastically reduce Idaho wolf population

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — A house panel on Tuesday introduced legislation allowing the use of snowmobiles, ATVs, powered parachutes and other methods to hunt and kill wolves year-round and with no limits in most of Idaho.

The House Resources and Conservation Committee cleared the way for a public hearing on the proposed law backers say is needed because Idaho has too many wolves.

Wolves could be hunted year-round in the state with no limits in all but a rugged area of central Idaho extending from about Challis to Grangeville. Specifically, the legislation reclassifies wolves outside of that area from game animals to predators.

“When you make that reclassification to a predator, you still have to have a hunting license to shoot that predator, but there are no seasons, no limits,” said former Republican Sen. Jeff Siddoway, filling in for a senator who is out with COVID-19. He said wolves could also be hunted from helicopters and airplanes.

Siddoway said the plan is to reduce Idaho’s wolves from about 1,500 to 500.

The legislation says that once 500 wolves or fewer remain in the state, the Idaho Fish and Game Commission would be authorized to review wolf management policies to make sure there are at least 500 wolves and 50 packs.

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game tracks wolf numbers using various methods, including cameras, and listed the 2020 population at 1,556 wolves, about the same as in 2019.

Wolves were protected in Idaho under the Endangered Species Act until being delisted in 2011.

Wolves are managed by Fish and Game under its Idaho Wolf Conservation and Management Plan.

https://www.theintelligencer.com/news/article/Legislation-aims-to-drastically-reduce-Idaho-wolf-15974114.php

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Legislation aims to drastically reduce Idaho wolf population
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 11:11:59 AM »
 Good for them, law suit on its way! :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 11:14:33 AM »
Another good reason to live in ID.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 11:14:45 AM »
This makes sense if the proposal is to have 500. Kill them til they reach 500 unlike the story that is also on here about Wisconsin putting a limit of 200 when they need to kill 650.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »
 :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
As Phool said I expect law suits also
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:49:20 AM by Skyvalhunter »
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 11:38:37 AM »
Man, shooting wolves from a powered parachute sounds like fun to me!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 11:43:35 AM »
Changing their status and allowing new methods might allow for thinning their numbers in the backcountry, where I've heard that they have done the most damage.

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 12:15:46 PM »
Man, shooting wolves from a powered parachute sounds like fun to me!
Ya, sign me up too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 11:36:12 PM »
 How about Idaho following suit with sanctuary cities, simply refuse to prosecute!

Problem solved...regardless the law suits brought! :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 01:26:52 AM »
ID is looking better every day.

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 02:30:40 AM »
When you talk of aerial hunting the bill will be dead on arrival. Even in Alaska it is unpopular. Expanding hunting seasons and more importantly trapping opportunities will fly under the radar and do the job.

A low cost trapping opportunity for out of state trappers would be a win-win for the state.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 05:15:53 AM »
Although I have no idea if it will happen or not.
Good for Idaho for stepping up.
We will never see wolf hunting or trapping in this state.
Wolves are growing at such a slow rate,that's BS .
WDFW is fully aware there are Alot more wolves in this state than they say there is. Ohh ya there special deer regulations for NE Washington is no antlerless harvest and shorten late season. Because of there ignorance to confirm true numbers of wolves ,soon you will have to have a permit to hunt deer or elk. OTC will be the past as we make way for wolves,and don't worry it will happen all over the state,coming soon to your hunting grounds.  I can hear it now, deer and elk population is declining for the past 15 years, We must of had 15 bad winters and habitat is suffering, ticks that have been here longer than people have.......... Just when you think you have heard every excuse in the book ,you'll hear a new one.
What do you think is going on with moose right now,every excuse ,except wolves. I hope some people draw moose tags soon ,cause those permits will be gone soon.
This is what's happening in NE Washington right NOW ,but it's all on the down low . That's one reason some hunters was pushing the 4pt APR . I would rather have some OTC opportunity ,then have to draw permits to hunt.

With all that said...............
Proof is in the pudding,you only have to look at moose numbers to see our future. WDFW was already trying this year to turn late season deer into permit only hunt for NE Washington. This is our future in Washington.
Wolve will not be hunted or trapped in this state.
Hunting will be stripped away very slowly until the whole state is permit only ,and WDFW can maximize profits off of the very little opportunity that is left.

THATS THE WAY IT IS.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 06:26:50 AM »
The problem with WDFW wolf plan is they believe this as stated in it:

The effects that wolves will have on elk, deer, and other ungulate populations and hunter harvest are difficult to predict. In Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming, where wolf populations currently number more than 1,600 wolves, most elk and deer populations remain at or above management objectives. Wolves have contributed to declining elk populations in a few areas, but are usually one of several causes, including declining habitat conditions, past high human harvest, severe weather conditions, and predation by other predators. In the Great Lakes region, where there are about 4,000 wolves, white-tailed deer populations are thriving and often above local management goals, and annual hunter harvest has remained high. These data suggest that when wolf populations in Washington are in the initial stages of recovery, they could have some localized impacts on elk and deer abundance or habitat use, but little to no effect would be expected on overall ungulate populations in the state. Impacts would be somewhat greater during the latter stages of recovery, but are still expected to be relatively small on a statewide level.

WDFW makes their management objectives are so low.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00001
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 06:33:33 AM by Skyvalhunter »
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 06:35:44 AM »

The effects that wolves will have on elk, deer, and other ungulate populations and hunter harvest are difficult to predict. In Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming, where wolf populations currently number more than 1,600 wolves, most elk and deer populations remain at or above management objectives. Wolves have contributed to declining elk populations in a few areas, but are usually one of several causes, including declining habitat conditions, past high human harvest, severe weather conditions, and predation by other predators. In the Great Lakes region, where there are about 4,000 wolves, white-tailed deer populations are thriving and often above local management goals, and annual hunter harvest has remained high. These data suggest that when wolf populations in Washington are in the initial stages of recovery, they could have some localized impacts on elk and deer abundance or habitat use, but little to no effect would be expected on overall ungulate populations in the state. Impacts would be somewhat greater during the latter stages of recovery, but are still expected to be relatively small on a statewide level.

WDFW makes their management objectives are so low.
I have no doubt that your right. WDFW always try to compare themselves to other states. That's why half the hunters in Washington pay up to hunt other states.Because Washington does a great job at management of our game.
The above statement compares us with other states is just another excuse in the book of many to be lazy and do nothing.

Like said earlier ,put in for your moose tag now cause that will be gone first. Proof is in the pudding, you just gotta read the writing on the wall.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 06:42:19 AM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 07:30:03 AM »

And they also believe that the greenies will adhere to the plan.  Once it gets close to the plans objectives, WDFW will have goal posts moved on them and a flood of lawsuits.  The reality of what will happen is different than the plan because greenies will use WDFW and flip on them in due time.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal