collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blue Tongue  (Read 37056 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: Blue Tongue
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2021, 01:02:23 PM »
I see the want to test deer for CWD.
Maybe they did test some ,not sure :dunno:
But it seems like they have had a ton of chances to test deer that are sick or dead already.
The few deer we reported ,nobody showed up to test anything,it was almost like they wanted nothing to do with that.
It's bluetongue ,please dispose of it yourself was the response we got.
I mean wound'nt you want to test deer that are walking in circles and fall over dead.
Just seems to me they have had plenty of dead deer to test,yet they want to test hunter harvested deer.
Does it seem strange or I might just be crazy. :tinfoil:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2021, 02:18:42 PM »
They have been testing them since August already, dead dying and zombie marching deer have all been tested since August. I spoke with the game warden several times about it and posted on here that they are testing for CWD on alot of dead deer. They are literally getting over a hundred calls a day he said about dead or dying deer. He said they have to ignore most of them. This year is a BAD one!

Offline buckfvr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2021, 02:37:14 PM »
Ya sounds like Whitman county/Palouse is toast.

Offline Jrtishchuk

• Tracker
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2021, 08:35:31 AM »
So i have a Palouse buck tag, an I carious to no if anyone had turned there tag in?  Did you get your points back?   An to who can I reach out to turn mine in?   

Thankx..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2021, 08:57:09 AM »
Hello,

You are receiving this email because you have indicated that you have hunted deer in Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s (WDFW) Eastern Region in the past five years. If you plan to do so again this year, we would like to make you aware of a disease outbreak that could potentially impact your hunt.

Many white-tailed deer have been affected by an outbreak of Bluetongue and Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) in Eastern Washington this summer and fall. We are monitoring this outbreak with the help of the public as well as local and state organizations. The current outbreak appears to be more widespread than in 2015 with reports of affected deer throughout the eastern third of the state and into Idaho.

Hemorrhagic diseases are common in deer and spread by biting Culicoides gnats that live in wet, muddy areas where deer congregate during hot, dry weather. White-tailed deer are commonly affected by these diseases and may die as a result of infection. Mule deer do not typically die from these diseases, but we have documented a few mortalities during this outbreak.

Cooler, wetter weather will allow the deer to spread back out across the landscape and avoid the gnats, but the outbreak will not end until there is a hard frost to kill the gnats that spread these diseases.

Given the extent of the outbreak and local severity, it is possible that your success this fall will be impacted. Adult does are the drivers of population growth and prior to this outbreak, WDFW took regulatory steps to substantially reduce harvest of antlerless white-tailed deer. In 2019, we eliminated antlerless harvest throughout District one and, at a broader regional scale, we reduced antlerless harvest around Spokane for the 2021-23 seasons. These changes should mitigate declines attributed to this summer’s EHD outbreak. There are no further reductions in white-tailed deer seasons planned at this time. Restrictions or regulations to modify buck harvest are unlikely to change the population trajectory and are therefore unwarranted.

Humans are not affected by either EHD or Bluetongue viruses, but we strongly recommend not harvesting and consuming animals that are obviously sick. More information on Bluetongue and EHD is on the WDFW website.

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is a completely separate disease from Bluetongue and EHD. We have NO confirmed cases of CWD in Washington to date. However, we are initiating a CWD surveillance program this year in northeast Washington.

CWD is a fatal illness of deer, elk, moose, and caribou. It is caused by misfolded proteins known as prions that can contaminate the environment and be transmitted between animals through feces, saliva, urine, and other bodily fluids. CWD has been detected in a number of Canadian provinces and U.S. states, the closest being Libby, Montana.

If you hunt in game management units (GMUs) 105, 108, 111, 113, 117, 124, or 127, please have your harvested white-tailed deer tested for CWD at a game check station or testing location listed on the attached information sheet. The sheet also includes additional information on CWD, how to help slow the spread of CWD if you hunt in other states, guidelines for handling and consuming deer that are potentially sick, and more. Additional information on CWD and the CWD surveillance program can be found at wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/diseases/chronic-wasting.

Thank you for your help and awareness when it comes to managing our deer populations.

Sincerely,

Steve Pozzanghera, WDFW
Region 1, Regional Director
2315 North Discovery Place
Spokane Valley, WA 99216

Here you are. I don't believe they would give you an accurate number of deer that have died from this if You were to call them. But it could be as high as a 50% perhaps more.
I wonder why 121 isn't on the list.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2021, 09:02:44 AM »
Or 101 either. Perhaps this is only gmu specific. 🤔

Online Shooter4

• Scout
  • Groups: kuiu
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2021, 11:57:31 AM »
121 didn’t get hit as hard

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2021, 12:26:59 PM »
It is GMU specific. I called about a buck out in the field at my place in 139 and they said they weren't testing down there. I told them I found three carcasses in a 400yd area. They didn't care.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:36:47 PM by LDennis24 »

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2021, 12:33:03 PM »
It is GMU specific. I called about a buck out in the field at my place in 139 and they said they weren't testing down there. I told them I found three carcasses in a 400yd area. They didn't care.

I think the numbers will look better if they only count in certain areas. Falls into the wolf predator counts.

WDFW response "we are sorry sir we have not heard of any in the general area."  Perhaps you mean those were coyotes.  :dunno:

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2021, 12:57:21 PM »
Our place is in 121.....it got hit pretty hard.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline buckfvr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2021, 01:19:55 PM »

121 got its worst case ever according to those who will speak softly off the record.  Lower elevations/valley bottoms up to just over 2k ft. got absolutely hammered.  Spotty above 2k, I am nearly 2500 and have the same deer Ive had all summer.  I got some reports from some of the farmers/ranchers at or below 2k and they are seeing few or less ( even 0 ) wt in their fields now.

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2021, 01:49:44 PM »

121 got its worst case ever according to those who will speak softly off the record.  Lower elevations/valley bottoms up to just over 2k ft. got absolutely hammered.  Spotty above 2k, I am nearly 2500 and have the same deer Ive had all summer.  I got some reports from some of the farmers/ranchers at or below 2k and they are seeing few or less ( even 0 ) wt in their fields now.

Interesting- thanks for sharing.  I have noticed the same.  In areas where I work above ~2700' elevation, I have seen essentially no impact.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2021, 02:21:29 PM »
Hopefully that 2,000 foot elevation anecdote holds true elsewhere. My main whitetail spots are above 2,500 feet.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »
More email from WDFW:  Blue tongue information.

Hello,

You recently received an email informing you that the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) will be surveying for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) during the modern firearm season this year for those who hunt in Northeast Washington. The information regarding where you can get your harvested white-tailed deer tested for CWD was not included in that email as planned. So if you harvest a deer in GMUs 105, 108, 111, 113, 117, 124, or 127, please take it to one of the following game check stations or locations during the days and times below:

Colville WDFW District Office, 755 S. Main St., Colville, WA 99114
Chewelah, intersection of Sand Canyon Road and Highway 395, DOT gravel lot
Deer Park Weigh Station, 65 N. Arlington Road, Deer Park, WA 99006
Ione, Tiger Store/Museum, 390372 State Route 20, Cusick, WA 99119
Usk, Crossroads Restaurant, 421341 State Route 20, Usk, WA 99180
Highway 2 Weigh Station - across highway from Spokane Regional Solid Waste

Saturday, Oct. 16 - Sunday, Oct. 17, 2021; 9:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 23 - Sunday, Oct. 24, 2021; 9:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 6 - Sunday, Nov. 7, 2021; 9:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 12 - Sunday, Nov. 14, 2021; 9:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 18 - Friday, Nov. 19, 2021; 9:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.

WDFW offices
You can also have your white-tailed deer sampled on Mondays and Thursdays from 4-6 p.m. during the modern firearm season at:

WDFW Colville District Office, 755 S. Main St., Colville, WA 99114
Spokane Regional Office, 2315 N. Discovery Place, Spokane Valley, WA 99216-1566

Inland Northwest Wildlife Council
6116 N. Market St., Spokane, WA (call 509-487-8552 to make an appointment)

If you are "Lucky enough to find one" during the week please go to the local office to have it checked..

Still no mention of GMU 121 or 101

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #164 on: October 14, 2021, 11:54:00 AM »
Got the email to...
But still can I bring a carcass,can I debone the meat first.
What if there not open ,when I harvest.
I guess I'll find out if I harvest anything,I just don't want to harvest and have to turn around and drive to the testing place. I normally ,hang,skin,then next day debone,cut and wrap. The weather we have right now it's alright to hang over night ,but I'm not waiting days or driving to colville.
So my biggest question is can they do this testing after I process or what.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]