collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1x scopes/red dots  (Read 18121 times)

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: 1x scopes/red dots
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2022, 09:34:26 PM »
Personally hate to see the scope thing start.  Started slow in Utah then progressed to what it is now-a single shot high powered rifle hunt.  Switched our Utah hunts over to modern because there as many hunters out on the muzzle loader hunt as the rifle hunt. Guns most are using there are a long way from being a traditional muzzle loader and I don't see why they need a separate early season.  Miss the old days when hunting skills were more important than the gear you used to get your animal.
Amen.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2022, 06:32:05 AM »
Personally hate to see the scope thing start.  Started slow in Utah then progressed to what it is now-a single shot high powered rifle hunt.  Switched our Utah hunts over to modern because there as many hunters out on the muzzle loader hunt as the rifle hunt. Guns most are using there are a long way from being a traditional muzzle loader and I don't see why they need a separate early season.  Miss the old days when hunting skills were more important than the gear you used to get your animal.
Amen.
I've tried on this site anyway to tell the muzzleloader community,
Not to go down this path,and before you know it ,you will be combined with modern.
They be better off fighting for longer seasons and more antlerless oppertunitty. Then going down the scope road.
Time will tell what the results will be.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline James

• Scout
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2022, 11:24:33 AM »
I would like to keep to primitive sights for muzzy hunting in Washington. I really think it is the simplest way to keep everything in check.

My one exception is I would like to see a provision for older people to be able to used scoped muzzys. My father's eyes are no where near good enough to be able to hunt without telescopic sights and I think we need to make provisions to keep old men in hunting camps.  Things like this are literally 2 of the 3 "R's"

65+?, 70+? I don't know exactly what to set the threshold to, but somewhere around there.

I find it highly unlikely a few old dudes with scopes on their muzzys will ruin muzzy season.  Young dudes?  They definitely would.

You will never shoot a camp bull by spending all your time hunting in the woods.

Offline Platensek-po

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2022, 11:30:29 AM »
I would like to keep to primitive sights for muzzy hunting in Washington. I really think it is the simplest way to keep everything in check.

My one exception is I would like to see a provision for older people to be able to used scoped muzzys. My father's eyes are no where near good enough to be able to hunt without telescopic sights and I think we need to make provisions to keep old men in hunting camps.  Things like this are literally 2 of the 3 "R's"

65+?, 70+? I don't know exactly what to set the threshold to, but somewhere around there.

I find it highly unlikely a few old dudes with scopes on their muzzys will ruin muzzy season.  Young dudes?  They definitely would.

Or just get a drs note from an eye dr. If it’s a medical issue not an age thing I think exemptions for medical stuff should be accommodated
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2022, 11:57:04 AM »
These are the current requirements for visual disability:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/eligibility-requirements-disability-status

Visual impairment qualifications

Blindness is a central visual acuity that does not exceed 20/200 in the better eye with corrective lenses, or the widest diameter of the visual field does not exceed twenty degrees, or
Low Vision is a severe loss of visual acuity ranging from 20/70 to 20/200 while retaining some visual function, or
Visual impairments may include, but are not limited to: Albinism, Aniridia, Aphakia, Cataracts, Glaucoma, Macular Degeneration, or other similar diagnosed permanent disease or disorder.
Not included: Hyperopia, Myopia, Astigmatism, and Presbyopia type conditions.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline James

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2022, 07:24:09 PM »
While I think there is a reasonable chance my father would qualify for that, I am willing to bet there are some old guys that are not technically disabled, but hit the point where it's so tough to see that it's not fun anymore.

An example would be in their 20's they could see well enough to kill a buck with open sights at 100 yards, but now at 70 years old it's 30 yards. And with old knees trying to get a 70 year old man to crawl up to a buck that close compounds it.

I think the only concern I have for this is slippery slope.  I definitely don't want able bodied people using scopes on muzzys, at least not with our current amount of animals and seasons!
You will never shoot a camp bull by spending all your time hunting in the woods.

Offline LayMdown

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2022, 03:09:27 AM »
Ive never messed with a 1x scope but have been doing some reading. Several guys removed their 1x scope, some mid season because the field of view and low light view being greatly diminished.

I guess I need to take a look through 1.

I think I may actually be more intrigued by a red dot. No experience with them either. Wonder if the dot get huge when looking at something at distance? Or are they adjustable in size?

Any feed back?

I have a Leupold red dot scope with a 1 MOA dot.  That is 1" at 100 yards.  My fiber optic front site covers about 1 foot at 100 yards

Get a smaller fiber optics pin for your front site.  :twocents:

Offline LayMdown

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2022, 03:14:34 AM »
Ive never messed with a 1x scope but have been doing some reading. Several guys removed their 1x scope, some mid season because the field of view and low light view being greatly diminished.

I guess I need to take a look through 1.

I think I may actually be more intrigued by a red dot. No experience with them either. Wonder if the dot get huge when looking at something at distance? Or are they adjustable in size?

Any feed back?

Hold 6 O'clock and put your target point of impact just directly above your fiber optic sight, I've shot a lot better with this method of shooting peep sights then trying to cover up the target.

I have a Leupold red dot scope with a 1 MOA dot.  That is 1" at 100 yards.  My fiber optic front site covers about 1 foot at 100 yards

Offline BigTines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2022, 08:14:47 AM »
When do we find out the decision on 1x scopes?

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2022, 08:20:16 AM »
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2022, 09:12:40 AM »
Not worried if 1x scopes pass.  It really only helps those that have bad vision and can't shoot peeps.  As I get older I can see a time where I won't be able to use the peep.  It's still a short range,  under powered, one shot rifle, that's slow to reload.  Besides,  muzzy season is short.   Part of game management is reducing seasons if too many animals are taken.   If suddenly muzzy kills are higher,  maybe cut into that season a little more.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2022, 12:09:36 PM »
Not worried if 1x scopes pass.  It really only helps those that have bad vision and can't shoot peeps.  As I get older I can see a time where I won't be able to use the peep.  It's still a short range,  under powered, one shot rifle, that's slow to reload.  Besides,  muzzy season is short.   Part of game management is reducing seasons if too many animals are taken.   If suddenly muzzy kills are higher,  maybe cut into that season a little more.
it’s already only 7 days how could it get any shorter !!

Offline JakeLand

• Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2022, 05:40:33 PM »
Got word from a little bird in the nest that no scopes this year

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2022, 08:06:36 PM »

Now how could that be.   :rolleyes:   Haven't had the vote yet.   :dunno: :(
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline JakeLand

• Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2022, 08:35:28 PM »

Now how could that be.   :rolleyes:   Haven't had the vote yet.   :dunno: :(
ha vote no they made the decision

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter