collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wife's first mule deer  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Thehuntingdad33

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Wife's first mule deer
« on: October 29, 2022, 09:56:24 PM »
My wife grew up in a hunting family but did not take up hunting until after our boys were starting to kill bucks.  One day around 8 years ago she decided it was time to hunt.  Having killed 6 Blacktails over that time, she really wanted a muley.  Now I should stop right here with a spoiler alert.  My wife is not a trophy hunter and we are not a trophy family, so no story about a masher here.  She has no problem killing the first branched buck she see's.  She got her chance a few weeks ago.  Here is her story.  I hope you get a good laugh out of it.

Nichole had set her sights on killing a good buck on this trip.  But after two days without seeing a single buck, her "good buck" was quickly turning into "any buck." This was going to make our jobs quite a bit easier, so I thought...

Day 3 found us loading gear onto the four-wheelers just after daylight.  The temps had dropped significantly from the previous days.  25⁰ is not unbearable by any means, unless of course you are dressed for 47⁰.  Nichole and I took the lead.  I was in command of the ATV, dressed appropriately, I might add.  Nichole, on the other hand, was not.  And neither was Logan.  Nichole was doing a pretty good job of tucking in behind me, using my heavy, warm wool coat as a shield.  I was a little concerned that it would be difficult for her to spot a deer from that position.  Logan, underdressed and shivering, trailed behind a little too close for my liking.  The only thing saving Logan from frostbite was his giant, oversized, poofy gloves.  With my rifle stowed safely in its scabbard, and my pack, with all of my necessary belongings, bungeed to the front rack, I really hoped we would not see a buck as we rode to our spot.  Nichole was in no position for a quick shot either.  She may have been cradling her rifle across her lap but getting to her cartridges, stuffed deep into the pockets of her camo snow pants, was not going to be an easy task, especially with her oversized poofy gloves.  Again I prayed we would not see a buck.  Maybe Logan would be the guy ready to jump off the bike and take a shot if it were to present itself.  I took a quick glance over my shoulder.  Nope.  If the frozen trails of snot were any indication of his physical status, we were all screwed if a buck stepped out. 

Not 5 minutes down the trail,  Nichole, feeling guilty I'm sure, reluctantly pulled her face out of the back of my warm coat to take a quick peek up on the hillside.  "Wait, backup.  Is that a deer?" She said with minimal confidence.  I looked up and sure enough, a deer was standing there watching us with a very curious eye.  I hit the brakes and braced for impact as I knew Logan was right on my hinder.  Near miss.  I fumbled to find reverse, which was pointless anyway as Logan, in a panic, stalled his quad blocking me from backing up and seeing the rest of the deer.  I jumped off, ran back and started glassing.  "There's a buck!  He's the second deer from the left," I said.  Nichole is now frantically trying to fish her rounds out of her snow pants and load her rifle.  At the same time I am scanning for anything to use as a rest. I glanced back up the hill and the buck stopped walking and is now just staring down at the *censored* show that was mounting.  I looked over to see if Nichole had found a rest yet.  Nope.  She is a zoo.  First she tried laying down but couldn't see over the sage.  Then she tried resting over the seat of the bike.  Up down, up down, up down.... At one point she said she was going to rest her elbows on her knees.  I really needed a range, sure glad I strapped my pack down with 4 bungee cords, hate to see it fall off at 3 mph.  By the time I finally freed my pack and found my range finder, the buck had moved beyond 230 yards.  "Where in the hell is Logan?" I remember mumbling. I turned around, "Logan!  What are you doing?  Help mom get a rest," I barked.  He just sat there, frozen to his seat like Lloyd Christmas crossing the Rockies on a scooter.  "Lloyd!!" I hollored, throwing my hands up in disgust.   Thankfully he snapped out of it and sprang into action.

Logan and I made the decision to have her shoot the buck with his rifle since it has a bipod.  We got it set it up and ranged the buck at 340 yards.  Nichole took a break from her burpees, ran over and laid down behind the rifle.  One perfectly placed shot and it was over.  The only thing left to do was to put the lions, tigers, and elephants back in their cage, tear down the tent, and send the clowns home. 

As we walked up to her buck I couldn't help but wonder if somewhere on a ridge behind us, a lucky hunter had taken in the show and as I write this, he is doing the same....  "I was sitting in my spot when these two quads came screeching to a halt.  I was laughing so hard that I didn't even notice the nice buck that walked right past me..."

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Wife's first mule deer
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 10:04:04 PM »
"I love it when a plan comes together."

Good times.     :tup:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 11:02:14 PM »
Another great hunt. Congrats

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 06:09:09 AM »
🤣. That deer would have been long gone if it was me.🤯

I’ve never had luck like that.

Nicely done.👍🤣
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 06:31:10 AM »
That's awesome congrats
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 06:53:31 AM »
Ha! Great story, real life. Tell Nicole congratulations and that my wife used to be cool like that.
There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2022, 08:36:07 AM »
Great story hahahha

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2022, 09:29:34 AM »
Congrats great funny story thanks for sharing
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 11:33:22 AM »
Congratulations!! Thats a great first muley!!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 02:17:47 PM »
Great story!  Congrats to the lady hunter! 

I have similar stories between my wife and three girls.  The rodeo never gets old I guess.. :chuckle: :chuckle:
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 02:22:46 PM »
Good story and great shot.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 04:42:52 PM »
Good for you two love the spiritual celebration as well!

Offline FordGuy

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2022, 06:47:59 AM »
Congrats on her first Muley Deer!!  Great write up as well.  Some things just happen to work themselves out like they did.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal