collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: cheap equipment  (Read 5092 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
cheap equipment
« on: January 02, 2008, 06:48:07 PM »
I guess all this hi-tech equipment isn't always necessary.  Here is my $25 backpack that I got when I was in boyscouts.  My BrownBear bow that I bought off my brotehr for $100 and some Bi-mart arrows, and one big buck...priceless

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: cheap equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 06:56:54 PM »
none of that stuff will work anymore.
you probably wouldn't even be able to strap that buck to that pack anymore these days. it just wouldn't work.
those arrows probably wouldn't even fly through the air...at all. you'd be lucky if that bow didn't break in half first time you come to full draw.
 :chuckle:
everything used to be a lot more simple.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 07:01:03 PM »
A lot to be said for that picture Bone! I think good old fashioned hunting ability is often lost in all of the promotions of the latest gizmo's, gadget's, and gimmicks. Way to illustrate a good point!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 07:01:47 PM »
One stud of a deer that one is :drool:

Like the Kaibab buck, sometimes its better to be lucky than well prepared and good :chuckle: Just flippin ya chit man, congrats on that one.

One thing you never want to skimp on though if your going on a spendy once in a lifetime type trip is optics. I would suggest using what you have now until you can afford the best, dont settle. I cant tell you how many purses my wife would go through every year buying cheap crap. It took me getting her a couple nice ones before she understood what I was always telling her. Several years later she still has them, they still look new and although she buys new ones, has to match everything, she doesnt need to because they are battered and worn. Unfortunatly they are not cheap either  but that for another thread ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline coonhound

• Jeff ><>
  • Longhunter
  • Jeff ><>
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 07:06:51 PM »
A lot to be said for that picture Bone! I think good old fashioned hunting ability is often lost in all of the promotions of the latest gizmo's, gadget's, and gimmicks. Way to illustrate a good point!

Amen to that, I get caught up in the need for the latest and greatest myself but you are right, the #1 key is the fool behind the gear.

Good post,
Coon

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 07:13:09 PM »

One thing you never want to skimp on though if your going on a spendy once in a lifetime type trip is optics.

I agree whole heartedly on this point huntnphool. I need to keep saving my money. I really like the Leupold Goldenring 10x42, Swarovski 10x42, and the Leica's (sp?) Spotting game is the name of the game.

Offline MuleySniper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 07:19:38 PM »
Shouldn't there be like at least four guys in that pic?  Wheres the picture of the guide and the six other guys who helped you find that buck?  :chuckle: :chuckle: Now I suppose your going to tell us you gutted it out too! Thats a cool pic. You should submit it to Eastmans and tell you got it this year. Those guys would be so confused, but it would be hilarious. Nice picture and nice buck too. I think wastickslinger shot that same bow up to last season.
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 07:20:37 PM »
is that a wooden riser?
holy crap.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »
Bone do you have any more pictures of the buck looks like a dandy.  It sure is fun buying and trying out the new equipment though.
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 08:08:02 PM »
Kinda reminds me of all the Bone I collected with a Rem 700 BDL 300 Win Mag, fixed 4x Leupold, no binocs, camo,designer ammo,gps,gore tex,etc... Boy times have changed. Made the 1/2 drive to Cabelas today, I had to laugh, I think its a prereq that one HAS to wear camo garb into cabelas now.And yes High Country, there were lots of "white stickers" in truck windows.grin......
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline wastickslinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 09:22:20 PM »
Sniper- Funny thing is that I killed a nice buck with my old martin at 53 yards that last year I hunted with it. This year I missed a whopper buck that haunts me in my dreams every night with my NEW Matthews. Go friggen figure. I am going back to my old equipment.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 12:01:58 AM »
Hey Bearhunter, check out the Washington record book, there is a whole story on that pig. What pisses me off is that you can tell Bone has a full head of hair too >:( *censored* :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 01:23:37 PM »
Had hair then, but not so much now.  Yep, its a wood riser.  Damn pretty one too.  Still have that bow.  I was thinking about having Rose shoot it, but might just keep it in retirement.  I'm the worlds worst promoter of expensive eye tools.   The scopes I have on my guns now are all the old Leopolds, a testament to your purse story.  Those bad dogs have seen alot and are still shootin'.  As for binos, well, still packin' Bushnells, the $40 version that bounce real well when you leave them on your back bumper.  It's so much easier to swallow when your Dads mule crushes them against a pine tree than those 1200 dollar Els.  Anyhow, thanks guys.  That was one of the best years in the Methow.  Every once in awhile it all comes together.  I'ss ee if I can find some more pics.  I came down to my truck this year and Idabooner had put some mojo on my hunt.  he printed out a full sized one and put it on my windshield.  Can't argue, it seemed to work.  I can remember somebody put that picture on his rig so when he came out of the Payasten from packing boys in there, here was my smiling mug with the best deer of my life.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 01:45:15 PM »
I could go back to hunting with my $5 Wal-Mart pants, my old .243, my old boy scouts compass,  my free binoculars that don't focus, and all kinds of cheap stuff.  I'll be honest though, no thanks.  While I could do it, I enjoy my new Vortex Viper binoculars.  I enjoy my new bow that shoots quiet.  I enjoy my new gps that maps exactly where I am and pinpoints every drop of blood I find while bloodtrailing.  I enjoy my new $200 Rivers West waterproof pants.  It just makes the experience more enjoyable for me.  Not that it is necessary and not that I haven't hunted with all my cheap stuff for years.  I got a post on here from my first deer at age 10.  I was wearing all hand me downs and didn't have anything but the cheapest stuff my parents could afford.  In college I had to spend all my extra student loan money on beer.  I've hunted elk in the Blue Mountains out of a Geo Metro...  We didn't have extra money for expensive hunting gadgets.  Been there, done that.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 02:15:06 PM »
Well for me i can appriciate the picture. Not to its fullest though, but i can. This is why. I am only 24 years old. In the military and am happily married. truley i love my wife like crazy and she supports everything i do, Including my hunting. With those three things combined i am not able to go run out and buy the sweet bad ass toys that everyone has like the Weatherby Mag that is hot off the market. or the brand new fancy GPS. Or maybe even have the best scope in the world. My equipment has almost all been given to me. I got my rifle when i was 18 from my grandfather. Has a very old 3x9 weaver that boke this year. seals went out on it and now it fogs up in the rain. BUMMER. I have the newest motorolas on the market( Gifted to me for guiding a close friend of the family this year). My coat is a scent lock cabelas brand that was a present from the wife a year ago. I have some good gear that works(besides my scope). But this is all thanks to my family and friends... now here is something also, my father taught me everything i know about hunting and he has always taught me that in times that you are looking for gear. get the right gear. Dont spend less money on a pair of walmart boots that are going to leak and be bad in a year. Save the money a little more and buy a good, warm pair of namebrand boots. Like the danners i have now. I bought them when i was 17 or 18 and still have them and use them. This is the same with all your gear you get. This is all the same for my fishing gear also. It is all great stuff. all namebrand. I am looking for performace not for something that is going to break on me in the field or on the water. i am looking for use. I am looking at how effective it is and looking at how effective it was..... Why buy a bunch of cheep stuff. that is what it is. CHEEP.
Back in the day bone all that stuff you had was good. It was acceptable to use the walmart arrows. the bow you had was a great bow. The camo you had was the *censored*. Now we have evolved. But not only us, but the deer also. we get smarter and the deer get smarter. This all isnt to say that i dont buy cheep *censored*. because i do. I am not rich so i have to sometimes. But i also look around. Garage sales, classifieds, EBAY :). that last one is a good one. I like saving money also but i dont want to go out in the woods and say to myself. Damn should of got the other.....Whatever.
I am saving for a scope right now. I could go to walmart and buy a 50 to a 100 dollar cheepy but i am not. I will save up and atleast get a 3x9 rifleman leupold. If i can afford it a vari-x III. tax returns are comming soon. :chuckle:

Yeah the simple stuff works sometimes but in my opinion, Why do it several times when you can wait a little bit longer and do it right. ONCE. ;)

Oh and nice deer bone. I got to start mule deer hunting soon. Possabilitys looking better every year.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 02:23:48 PM by Coasthunterjay »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal