collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Buffalo Hunting  (Read 10515 times)

Offline MLCoug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Buffalo Hunting
« on: December 13, 2009, 10:12:49 PM »
Anyone ever been?  I was trying to find some past threads and/or photos but couldn't find any. 

Offline Aneoakleaf

• Aneoakleaf
  • Longhunter
  • I Hunt therefore I am an endangered species
Re: Buffalo Hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 10:34:10 PM »
We want to go! There's a place in E.ore, high fence but Smokey doesn't want that.  I don't care! :chuckle:
I'll try to find that info again, it's been a year.
Christian,
Floral Designer...retired,
Mother, grandmother, Writer, Photographer ,
Bowhunter Education State Chairman
wife, hunting & fishing  partner
Hunter, Fly Fisherman,partner, Wife

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:51:32 PM »
That place is called Clover Creek Ranch.  They have a website with a com or net or org.
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 11:15:37 PM »
a guy on here did a year or two ago. i forget. shot it with a 7.82 warbird i believe.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 10:06:40 AM »
Wild Bison, your only going to get that in Alaska and couple extremely large ranches in South Dakota, Montana and Canada.  Other than there (I believe) you'll be hunting high fences and used to human animals.  If meat is what your after then it doesn't matter at all where you drop the Bison.  Alaska has a draw for their animals, close to 100 tags year for a couple different herds.  That is where I got my two and my son and several friends took theirs...  Extremely low odds at drawing but hey we kept getting drawn as a resident... Here in Washington State there is a place right up towards Chelan, he charges quite a bit more than Montana, almost double, but you don't have to drive far...   Several places in Montana but most are already sold out or have limited animals for harvest left. Another in Idaho, but they were really expensive.  Mind you most have Trophy bulls always for sale at a premium price too $2500-3500, but a 2 year old heifer or yearling bull will cost around 750-900 depending upon location.  Better meat with the little ones anyhow..  Old bulls 10-12 years and older might run as high a 4500-5500, but their like eating your shoe...  Hunterman went to Canada last year, he would probably be a good source of information on that trip.  Were (Tmike and myself) are heading Friday to Monatana to pick up a 2 year cow...  Yummy....  Anyone want to buy a full or caped Bison hide?  We'll have one..

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline Kent Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »
The picture that Addicted posted is of me and the bull that I shot up in Saskachewan about three years ago. It was a 12 year old bull and ginormas!! What Cohoho says is right on. The older bulls are not what you want if you want tender cuts of meat. I mean the tenderloins were alright, but the other few steaks and roasts were pretty tough. I was told of this before I went up there and had 80% of it ground up into burger. It was not a "hunt". It was a "shoot". I also knew this going in. The place that I went to was a ranch of about 25,000 acres.
 I had always wanted a big ol bison head for my wall and I certainly got what I wanted. I was able to find the deal on e-bay. It was pure luck really. The old boy who owned the ranch and bison (about 2,200 head between his son and himself) was looking to thin his herd of some of his older bulls. If I remember correctly it was 12 or so bulls that he wanted taken out. All of these bulls were between 10 to 22 years old. I had been looking into this for a couple of years before I finally went and 99.9% of the bison farms wanted over $5,500 for a "trophy" bull. I think that they cosider them "trophy" once they are older than 6 years. They are for the most part as big as they are going to get once they reach that age or a bit older. Well, this old boy up in Saskachewan was asking only $1,500 for any of the chosen bulls. I was a deal that was just to good to pass up. We were able to take them whole to the local butcher after we had shot them. The bull that I shot weighed just a little over 2,200 lbs hanging on the scale at the butchers. That's "guts, feathers and all". I brought home about 750 lbs of meat. Like I said, 80% of it was burger. The burger was great. But burger none the less.
 I don't know if it is typical but as was stated by a previous poster I shot mine with my Sako TRGS chambered in 7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird. I put the first round smack in the middle of his boiler room and he didn't even flinch! I waited a short bit and gave him another and at the shot he kinda hunched and then trotted off about 100 yards or so and then tipped over. One round was a pass through and we found the other round on the off side just under the skin.
 Cohoho was alot of help and was kind enough to take the time and answer any of the questions that Ii asked him.
 We are due for some more bison meat and we plan on doing what Cohoho is doing and line ourselves up for a two or three year old bull or cow.
 If you plan on getting a shoulder mount done for your first one I suggest that you make sure that you have a sizeable space on your wall for it. It is like putting the front end of a Volkswagon on your wall!! They look really cool though and in my opinion worth it!!
 Here is a picture of mine on the wall with my wife standing next to it. She is 5'3". One other thing. If you don't get a shoulder mount then I would highly reccomend that you get the hide tanned. Buffalo robes(hides) are awesome!! Shoot them in the dead of winter and the hides are great.

Offline mkcj

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 01:23:24 AM »

Offline andrew_12gauge

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 05:32:56 AM »
Wild Bison, your only going to get that in Alaska and couple extremely large ranches in South Dakota, Montana and Canada.  Other than there (I believe) you'll be hunting high fences and used to human animals.  If meat is what your after then it doesn't matter at all where you drop the Bison.  Alaska has a draw for their animals, close to 100 tags year for a couple different herds.  That is where I got my two and my son and several friends took theirs...  Extremely low odds at drawing but hey we kept getting drawn as a resident... Here in Washington State there is a place right up towards Chelan, he charges quite a bit more than Montana, almost double, but you don't have to drive far...   Several places in Montana but most are already sold out or have limited animals for harvest left. Another in Idaho, but they were really expensive.  Mind you most have Trophy bulls always for sale at a premium price too $2500-3500, but a 2 year old heifer or yearling bull will cost around 750-900 depending upon location.  Better meat with the little ones anyhow..  Old bulls 10-12 years and older might run as high a 4500-5500, but their like eating your shoe...  Hunterman went to Canada last year, he would probably be a good source of information on that trip.  Were (Tmike and myself) are heading Friday to Monatana to pick up a 2 year cow...  Yummy....  Anyone want to buy a full or caped Bison hide?  We'll have one..

dont forget the kaibab plataeu in arizona but the odds of drawing a tag are pretty slim if they even allow non residents to apply

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]