collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for hunting partner/mentor  (Read 2956 times)

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Looking for hunting partner/mentor
« on: January 16, 2010, 02:01:55 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking for someone that might want to help a guy learn to become a better hunter.  I have hunted for Mule Deer and Blacktail as well as Turkey, Coyote, Grouse, and Pheasant.  While I have hunted for these species I am not as knowledgable as I would like to be.

I have been a pretty serious fisherman here in Washington since I was a kid growing up in the Gig Harbor area (now 38.)  I have two boats that I use for everything from Lingcod and Searun Cutthroat to Kings and Kokanee.  I am not a fishing snob and will troll, fish bait or flyfish.  I can definitely pass on some knowledge in the fishing area and even offer trips especially in the summer when I am out every day fishing areas 11 and 13 for Kings.  I am also an avid steelheader.  That being said I can be trusted with areas and know how to maintain a good network as well as the social rules that go with it.

I grew up with bb guns but no hunting family members so focused on diving and fishing.  Now that I am older I want to be a more well rounded outdoorsman.  I have everything I need to hunt and camp.  I own and shoot often a variety of firearms from rimfires to shotguns.  I have taught myself to reload and read as much as I can about hunting.  I have time and the desire to be a good hunter.  Basically looking for some easy going guys that would be interested in helping a guy out.  I have a few guys that have been helping me get better but locations and schedules never seem to sync very well.  

Let me know if you can help?  Thanks.  Not expecting alot but worth a try.

Searun1

Offline high country

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Looking for hunting partner/mentor
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »
welcome. I would start by taking a hunters safety course. I bet you know all about gun safety, as you are still alive, but you will gain a good bit of knowledge and likely some contacts. I suggest you start scouting today! the paterns you see today will not be too different then in the season. if you read the hunting forums and absorb it all, account for the 70/30 rule (only 70% of what you hear is true...lol) you will catch on quickly. then you can ask specific questions which will give you specific answers.
I tell all the guys that want to come hunt eastern wa elk the same thing, take everything you have ever read or seen in a video and forget it. things are not the same when you and a bunch of other guys are after the same elk.....you are better off watching full metal jacket.

some resources I would suggest, cameron hanes book......back country bowhunting. larry bartlett of pristine ventures video............wilderness taxidermy. these are great primers for expierienced or begining hunters.....worth ever red cent.
hunting is very different from hunter to hunter. some guys like to set up a huge camp and have lots of friends, at the other end is guys like me, I haul it all on my back and dissapear into the high country for weeks at a time. some guys like to have a bottle of whiskey in camp.....others do not. you will need to ask yourself....am I looking for meat on the table, or the "expierience". do you prefer mountains, scabland, fields or flat ground?

there is a lot of soul searching that goes on in every serious hunter. I have years where I try to tag out in the high hunt so as to be able to hunt upland more agressivly....other years I barely seem to burn a case of shells over my dog but hunt the whole season looking for the best buck or bull I can find.
one thing is for sure, I have loved ever second I have spent in the woods.....even those that almost killed me.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »
You might try filling out your profile so people can read a little about yourself, not everyone will read this thread and see that you are 38.

Like HighCountry said, read as much as you can, the forums can be a good source of info too. Ask questions and check out other profiles, with a little due diligence you will be able to weed out most of the riffraff and BS.

Good luck and get out there and scout, not time like the present.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.  I will take your advice and start working on it.  I am already planning a trip to scout a little and hopefully find another shed or two.  Thanks again.

SeaRun1

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 06:29:51 PM »
SeaRun1 you have a pm.
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline bow4elk

• Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Contact me at: tom@pnwbowhunting.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacific.northwest.bowhunting/
    • Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:33:29 PM »
Another PM your way...
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters
First Hunt Foundation mentor
Washington State R3 Coordinator

Pacific Northwest Bowhunting http://www.pnwbowhunting.com

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter