collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Montana Bighorns  (Read 1233 times)

Offline mdbuck5x5

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Montana Bighorns
« on: October 10, 2010, 12:32:19 PM »
So I was driving to Kalispell this morning and I came upon these guys standing in the middle of the road just north of Paradise. There was close to 30 head with four rams, 2 younger ones and 2 big boys in this herd. As I came up on them they ran down the road then off to the side and proceeded to eat. I started to take pictures and as you can see one of the smaller rams was getting a little fresh with one of the ewes  :yike:. He kept chasing her around the herd. Pretty cool to see these guys up close as I was only about 40 feet from them. What I don't understand is while this younger ram was chasing the ewe around and mounting her neither of the bigger rams seemed to mind. They didnt confront him or anything. Maybe some of you guys that know more about bighorns could shed some light but it was kind of odd. I figured they were territorial like elk or deer and wouldn't let that happen. None the less it was a cool morning. This was the 4th herd I saw through that area. Never seen them down low like that so I'm guessing since they're rutting that has something to do with it. Anyways enjoy!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: Montana Bighorns
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 12:41:17 PM »
its always cool to see bighorns.  :tup:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
A young ram will mount anything and an older ram will only mount a ewe that is actually in esterus. :) Did you get any pic's of the larger rams? Paradice is the unit I put in for every year. Thanks for sharing.
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline mdbuck5x5

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 02:01:08 PM »
The 2nd pic has one of the big ones, but looking through the pics I don't have one of the other. He was the biggest of the 4.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 02:42:56 PM »
It was interesting to see that rocky sheep from Asotin that was 200" still had lamb tips. It seems that some are just not fighters maybe.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal