collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: lenze help  (Read 5773 times)

Offline 308ME

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
lenze help
« on: January 24, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »
 ???? what is a good lenze for wildlife photos ??? I have taken some nice photos over the years but nothing to special cheep cameras so on so on. this year for X-mas the wife got me a camera nothing pro but what i would consider very nice. it's a canon T2i and it dose more thing then i thought a camera could do. so now i want to take some better photos and have beem told i will need a better lenze then what came with the camera. looking for some help from those who have been there done that.

Offline jyerxa

• Frontiersman
Re: lenze help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »
You can get a 70-300 mm for a good price just to get started. That's all I got. Yeah I'd like bigger better more, but it is big bucks after that. You can rent them too if you want to play around before you buy.

And this is a good time of year to look around too. I know mine was knocked down $100 bucks if not more when I got it. I made a killing! Might have been $200 no more though. DSLR's are like any other digital device, last years is obsolete and they need to make room for this years models. Just a little tip.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:18:31 PM by jyerxa »
times before with just leather, wool and cotton.

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »
Borrowlenses.com is awesome to try lenses.   I am thinking about renting the Sigma 50 - 500 lens.  I have heard nothing but good things about it.   To buy it is about 2 grand, if I remember right.

I run a 70-300 on my Canon for what I normally do.
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline White Tornado

• Hunter
  • "Take em"
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »

The Canon T2I is a GREAT camera!!! Congrats on an awesome christmas gift!!
Just my opinion but I think you will find that the Canon kit lenses that came with your T2I have the ability to take some really good quality images. Master the technical aspects of taking pics with the new camera and lenses you have, get a good photo editing program for your post production work and you will be really pleased with what that camera and the kit lenses can do. In the mean time, read a lot of reviews for some of the better quality Canon lenses that you might want to aquire and after you have narrowed down what your looking for take the advice from the other posts and rent one for a weekend.   :tup:

Offline grandpawrichard

• Team Turbo Nock Coach
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »

The Canon T2I is a GREAT camera!!! Congrats on an awesome christmas gift!!
Just my opinion but I think you will find that the Canon kit lenses that came with your T2I have the ability to take some really good quality images. Master the technical aspects of taking pics with the new camera and lenses you have, get a good photo editing program for your post production work and you will be really pleased with what that camera and the kit lenses can do. In the mean time, read a lot of reviews for some of the better quality Canon lenses that you might want to aquire and after you have narrowed down what your looking for take the advice from the other posts and rent one for a weekend.   :tup:

I definitely Agree with you on the Canon T2I camera and the kit lenses!  :tup: Also, I agree with learning to use the camera and for learning the aspects of taking photos! That camera and lenses are capable of taking spectacular, Award winning photos IF The Photographer does his part!

Dick
2 Canon 7D Cameras, Canon 5D Mark II Camera, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, 2 Canon 24-105 L lens, , Canon 300 f/4 IS  L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender,  Tamron 150-600 lens, Canon 430 EX Flash, Canon 530 EX Flash

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
 Don't buy new, only buy quality glass and you will be way better off. Start with a 70-200, if you can afford a little extra get it with IS. 70-200 f4 can be found for $450, with IS it can be found for $850. 70-200 2.8 can be found around $900 and with IS about $1400.

Add a 1.4X and you will lose a stop of light but be out over 300mm, that should get you loads of quality wildlife pics without breaking the bank.

Use those while saving for a longer lens and you will likely be able to sell them for the same amount you paid, but having played with them the whole time. :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:50:41 PM »
 Here you go 308, these were with a 70-200 f/4 IS, the bird shots were with a 1.4X added.

If you click on each image you will see the non compressed version.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:56:26 PM by huntnphool »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline jyerxa

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 06:33:34 AM »
Those are excellent quality photos. Much better than my 70-300mm. I'd listen to huntnphool's advice.

Well................................. before I say that, I would like to take photo for photo, light for light. Tripods enabled perhaps. ISO settings. Most of the time I take snap shots. When I spend the time to set up my camera I can take some excellent photos too.

You have found an excellent gift under your Christmas tree that should create lasting memories. Have fun first and for most. Play with it like a kid with a new toy, experiment with it. Learning will take over with out your noticing.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:43:50 AM by jyerxa »
times before with just leather, wool and cotton.

Offline Wazukie

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 08:03:45 AM »
The only problem I see with your new camera is that it is not a Nikon :chuckle:  Take the advice given here about the lens.  I think the most important part of photog is to learn your camera(even if it is a Canon) and learn the fundamentals of photography.  Shoot lots of pictures and enjoy God's creation doing it.
Matthew 6:33

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 08:08:24 AM »
Don't buy new, only buy quality glass and you will be way better off. Start with a 70-200, if you can afford a little extra get it with IS. 70-200 f4 can be found for $450, with IS it can be found for $850. 70-200 2.8 can be found around $900 and with IS about $1400.

Add a 1.4X and you will lose a stop of light but be out over 300mm, that should get you loads of quality wildlife pics without breaking the bank.

Use those while saving for a longer lens and you will likely be able to sell them for the same amount you paid, but having played with them the whole time. :tup:

:yeah:
That is what I did 70-200 f4 IS w/ 1.4x extender

Offline teal101

• Team Kramer Farms
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 08:24:45 AM »

The only issue with this is you're over $1000 for the IS with the extender.  You lose AF as soon as you hit f/5.6 which is immediate with the 1.4x.

I'll be getting the Tamron 70-300mm. it can be had for right around $300 and is a great lens for the price.  I'll use it until I can stomach an L lens' price tag :tup:

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »
  You lose AF as soon as you hit f/5.6 which is immediate with the 1.4x.

Um....no you don't. Before making suggestions to a guy you should make sure you know what you are talking about. :twocents:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 08:48:18 AM »
Phools advise is sound.  70-200 2.8 is one of the best lens out there.   It does come with a price tag.

The 100-400 Canon is even a better choice over that Tamron in my opinion.  You can argue its sharpness and utilization all you want, but for the money its a damn good wildlife starter lens.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 08:59:56 AM »
I'd buy the 300mm F4 L IS if it were me looking only for a wildlife lens.  If you want a family/sport/wildlife lens, then the 70-200 in any flavor with a 1.4x on makes more sense for the versatility.  You only lose autofocus at F8 with a non 1 series camera (except for new 1Dx) so no 2x on an F4 lens if you have a crop camera and want autofocus.  A 1.4x is fine.  Or just get a cheap 1D2 and have autofocus at F8. 

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 09:45:47 AM »
Phool,

Is this the lens you are talking about? 

http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/For_Sale/Canon_EF_70-200mm_f4_IS
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal