collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Amber remembers what to do  (Read 3748 times)

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Amber remembers what to do
« on: January 02, 2018, 03:07:12 PM »
Nailed the three Buffles in the last thirty minutes of shooting time yesterday running down the beach each time they dove.

This morning, I put out a few Scoter decoys with the hope of getting my first Harlequin. I had a drake Common Goldeneye and drake Red-breasted Merganser hanging in front of me most of the morning, but I had seen several Harlis that I hoped might come by.

The Harlis were feeding about 160 yards away when about 8 Common Mergansers came bombing in. This commotion must have gotten the attention of the three Harlis because, suddenly, the single drake came bombing in. I was deep in the driftwood hiding from the ducks 15 to 25 yards away so could not swing on him. As I repositioned to my knees, the pair came in as well and I dropped the drake next to one of my decoys.

Finally, I got one, and only a half mile from my place.

When I got home, I realized I left my glasses on the beach. Bummer, had to take Amber, and the shotgun, back to the beach.  That silly drake Red-breasted Merganser was still hanging around, and had three Harlequins with him. I managed to bring him home as well. :-)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Re: Amber remembers what to do
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »
 :tup:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »
Almost got a limit of Gadwall today, saw 6, only one got away as I didn't shoot at it.

I jumped about three dozen Mallards in the moonlight and was hoping they'd filter back after shooting time, no such luck....

However, three Gadwall came in about 30 seconds after legal and I dropped all three. As Amber was retrieving the first one, two more came in to land with the floaters and I managed to get both as well. My 100% was short-lived as two minutes later I missed 2 Mallards right over my head....

The only other Mallards I saw were swimming way out with the Scoters.  I did have another Gadwall land in front of me and swim in to about 10 yards while I was watching a beautiful drake Goldeneye at 25. There was no shooting as one of the more jerky neighbors was dinking around within sight and I didn't want to give them any reason to be all whiny. Unfortunately both ducks moved off before he did.

Just as I was getting read to head out, about 20 Red-breasted Mergansers landed nearby but did not come in close enough.

Cool morning though as I think I have only ever gotten two or three Gaddys before now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:30:14 PM »
Nice pics. :tup:

Wow.  You did real well on the Gadwalls.  I've hardly ever gotten a gadwall.......
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 08:04:28 PM »
Congrats on the beautiful Harlequin............
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 08:15:25 PM »
Did Amber change at all?  I've never bred dogs intentionally but I hear that sometimes after pups they'll loose some or a lot of drive to hunt.

Just wondering if you noticed that.

Online bod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 08:53:55 PM »
That Nova looks well used.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 08:55:49 PM »
Wow, I haven't been into Gadwalls like that around here.

Those drake buffies are sure pretty birds, I've been trying to convince myself to pass them up but they are just cool little birds and the dog always gives me the "it might be your only bird, shoot the thing" look when they plop in the decoys.  They seem to be everywhere lately.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 01:55:46 PM »
Did Amber change at all?  I've never bred dogs intentionally but I hear that sometimes after pups they'll loose some or a lot of drive to hunt.

Just wondering if you noticed that.

Absolutely not!  This is her third litter and she is just as birdy and driven to hunt as ever.

That Nova looks well used.

It's fired a few shots...   :chuckle: That's the side it always lays on in my boats so the finish is a little worn.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »
Love them Gadwall!!! Keep up the good work  :tup:
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 01:40:53 PM »

Just found out a neighbor heard me shooting and was afraid to come out of her house, bonus for the day! She's even one that enjoyed the fruits of my duck hunting a few years back when Vice filmed an episode that included me duck hunting with the host of the day.  I've recently learned that there are a bunch of people on the island that get so scared when they hear gunshots in the distance that they are afraid to move... what a bunch of loser snowflake pantywastes!

In the past, I've always tried to be considerate and not hunted/target shot on the weekends, after this latest kerfuffle, I'm hunting/target shooting whenever the heck I feel like it, screw all of them!

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 01:18:34 PM »

Just found out a neighbor heard me shooting and was afraid to come out of her house, bonus for the day! She's even one that enjoyed the fruits of my duck hunting a few years back when Vice filmed an episode that included me duck hunting with the host of the day.  I've recently learned that there are a bunch of people on the island that get so scared when they hear gunshots in the distance that they are afraid to move... what a bunch of loser snowflake pantywastes!

In the past, I've always tried to be considerate and not hunted/target shot on the weekends, after this latest kerfuffle, I'm hunting/target shooting whenever the heck I feel like it, screw all of them!

This reply made me LOL several times. Love it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
Those are beautiful Nice going. Amber is one of Loki's pups, right? I thought I remembered that. Anyway, it looks like she's doing her job.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 03:49:40 PM »
Those are beautiful Nice going. Amber is one of Loki's pups, right? I thought I remembered that. Anyway, it looks like she's doing her job.  :tup:

She is not.  We did not keep any of Loki's accidental litters (both with the purebred golden next door, fortunately).  We got Amber from a kennel named Windy Ridge down in southern OR.

Thank God, the last four pups go to their new homes tomorrow!!  I wish the airlines would fly at 7 weeks, that last week with more than a couple is Hell.  People always ask if it's hard to get rid of them... I tell them puppies are like teenagers, when it's time to go, IT'S TIME TO GO!  :chuckle:  The people that picked up the blue male, Finley,  last Sunday have him crate trained and sitting and coming already. He's also doing short ball retrieves.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]