collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: bear bullet advice  (Read 7825 times)

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Re: bear bullet advice
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 11:56:20 PM »
Pretty much any solid bullet will work for you. Stay away from bullets like the sst and btips they expand way to much to quick for bigger game like bears. I would look at the accubonds or etips. I have killed bears with both and they have not let me down.

I have used SST and bst on all my bears and haven't had an issue 30- 110 yards. They do expand fast but proper shot placement is everything IMO.

Personally I would like to shoot an inter bond or accubond but no one makes those for a 280... I need to start reloading.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 06:20:18 AM »
Factory ammo for bear?   Remington CoreLokt or Bronze Tip 180gn. 

-Steve
Have you had good results with Bronze Tips?  We've used CoreLokt for years on everything from coyote to elk in traditional calibers (i.e. 30-06, 270) and never had a bad result.  My buddy used Bronze Tips (150's?) on an elk several years ago and most of the rounds didn't get through the shoulder muscle/bone.  I think there were 4 shots total on a very close range bull. 

My understanding of Bronze Tips is they are a hollow point with a wedge in the nose meant for longer distance shooting. 

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »
Bears aren't any harder to kill than any other animal. If a bullet works well for deer it will also work well for bear. I hunted with and killed deer, elk, and a bear with a 140 grain btip from my 7 mag. Just shoot them where it counts. Now my 7 uses both 140 btips and 140 accubond interchangeably. I prefer the abond for penetration and heavy bone shots. Last year i killed a bear with a Berger target bullet and had huge exit hole. Probably mentioned but take a look at the bears anatomy, they are slightly different than deer/elk.

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 01:13:04 PM »
Factory ammo for bear?   Remington CoreLokt or Bronze Tip 180gn. 

-Steve
Have you had good results with Bronze Tips?  We've used CoreLokt for years on everything from coyote to elk in traditional calibers (i.e. 30-06, 270) and never had a bad result.  My buddy used Bronze Tips (150's?) on an elk several years ago and most of the rounds didn't get through the shoulder muscle/bone.  I think there were 4 shots total on a very close range bull. 

My understanding of Bronze Tips is they are a hollow point with a wedge in the nose meant for longer distance shooting.

Well, my old '06 loves Rem Bronze tips. The most accurate factory loaded bullet I've run through the old girl.  I actually haven't taken game with the Bronze as they are hard to find. I've kilt enough with CoreLokt though.  No, the Bronze isn't a bone mashing bullet but a quality heart/lung shot should be perfect for that design. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on bear though.

Bronze Point BoxOverview:Introduced by Remington® over 80 years ago, these were the first bullets to utilize a tipped design. Today Bronze Point still delivers exceptional long-range performance on medium-sized game. Sleek profile generates flat trajectory. On impact, the bronze tip is driven backward to create rapid, but controlled expansion.
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 02:40:53 PM »
Pretty much any solid bullet will work for you. Stay away from bullets like the sst and btips they expand way to much to quick for bigger game like bears. I would look at the accubonds or etips. I have killed bears with both and they have not let me down.

I have used SST and bst on all my bears and haven't had an issue 30- 110 yards. They do expand fast but proper shot placement is everything IMO.

Personally I would like to shoot an inter bond or accubond but no one makes those for a 280... I need to start reloading.

I just don't like if I catch a shoulder with a btip or sst the chances of getting the penetration that I need goes way down over say the accubond. Hunt with what ever works for you but if shopping for a bear bullet, a better penetrating bullet would win in my mind over a explosive bullet like the btip or sst.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline xXLojackXx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »
The only time I've shot a bear with an SST it was a heart shot from 360ish yards and the bullet caused so much damage to the vitals it looked like strawberry jam.

This fall I'm taking my .243 with 115gr Dtac bullets. No problem punching through a shoulder and destroying lungs/heart/arteries. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal