collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Adding Fat to Venison  (Read 23402 times)

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Re: Adding Fat to Venison
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 11:34:29 AM »
None for me, ever. I like it just fine the way it is.
:yeah:

:yeah:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
We add about 5% to our ground venison, just so it will make patties, and/or you do not have to add oil to your pan if frying.  We prefer Pork fat, but beef works when you can get it.
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline deaddog

• Y.A.R. life member
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 04:00:41 PM »
Beeeef suet,5-10%     fat is lube for the taste buds! it sure dont change the way game tastes. at least not to me.
God is great, Beer is good, people are crazy.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 04:11:10 PM »
I use the big chubs of beef briger that are high fat content to mix in while I am grinding.  It runs around 30% fat in a 5lb chub of beef burger and I add one chub to every 25lbs of wild game, whether it be deer, elk or Moose.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 07:41:10 PM »
20% Pork butt or shoulder roast is what we use. If we could get good (not sour) beef suet we would do 10% pork and 10% beef.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
On the topic of taste - wild game is just palatable as any domestic meat IF (big IF) you do your part in the field and at home with the trimming.  If you have trimmed anything "white" (fat, sinew, silverskin, etc.) from your meat, that meat will not be "gamey" when cooked, even pan fried.

No amount of suet or pork fat will cover bad game care and crappy cutting (NO BANDSAWS OR BONE-IN MEAT - NEVER).

+1

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 04:59:38 AM »
On the topic of taste - wild game is just palatable as any domestic meat IF (big IF) you do your part in the field and at home with the trimming.  If you have trimmed anything "white" (fat, sinew, silverskin, etc.) from your meat, that meat will not be "gamey" when cooked, even pan fried.

No amount of suet or pork fat will cover bad game care and crappy cutting (NO BANDSAWS OR BONE-IN MEAT - NEVER).

+1

x2
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline zackmioli

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 08:12:51 AM »
10% pork.

i want to learn how to butcher and process my own game, so i dont have to take it anywhere but home!

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 08:32:58 AM »
I can understand how people don't like straight ground venison...because I've seen it many times.  I just saw it last night.  I usually grind mine with beef fat because I have a wife that doesn't like gamey flavor.  She has become accustomed to my ground meat as it has enough beef fat in it to take the edge off.  Last night we got some 100% ground burger from my father and she didn't like it, even the smell of it, when she started browning it.  She would not eat it.  My cousin is the same way as well as many guests I have brought over.  I have tons of people who want to take home my burger.  If I was doing it 100% venison like I use to, it just isn't as palatable for me and my family and guests.

I don't really have a problem with eating 80% ground venison burger.  It is 4/5ths venison but tastes similar to beef.  I have a family and guests I have to think about as we never buy beef burger in the store.  We don't eat venison because it's lean.  I eat it because I like it.  If I want to lose weight I'll just eat less.  I don't go and buy the leanest beef steak I can find at the store.  Quite the opposite, I buy the fatty rib steak.  Just my :twocents:

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 08:33:10 AM »
I agree with all about taking care of your game and trimming ALL of the white crap off.
When I make my sausage etc. I go to Winco and buy the ground pork that comes in 5 lbs tubes. It saves soooo much time because it it preground and pre mixed with the proper amount of fat. It usually only about 7 bucks a tube, I mix my venison at a 60/40 to 50/50 ratio, you can't go wrong. Just my   :twocents:

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 06:53:15 AM »
Gobble, hadn't thought of that preground version...... I will have to check out the per pound price that way against the pork butt or shoulder we add to our venison grind for sausage....
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 11:49:25 AM »
Pope brought some moose burger with him a couple weeks ago that had prime rib fat mixed in it, my daughter couldnt get enough
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »
I guess you could buy sausage and fat...but my butcher at the local Top Foods gives it to me for free.  I just have to have him save it and pick it up at the end of the day.  Plus, sausage is mixed with pork meat and I want just the fat.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 12:04:35 PM »
Well whatever you did I wouldn't change it :drool:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 12:19:35 PM »
I have my deer cut and the burger comes back with a little fat added. I don't know the exact %. It's darn little because the burger is still dark red.

Making sausage I use just pork fat. If I have time to get to the butcher that does the game I can get a bunch of fat free. Otherwise, I stop in Pike Place and buy some fat, it's cheap. I end up mixing that burger with about 50-50 with fat. That's by volume not weight. I shred the fat, frozen, in a food processor then lightly pack it one cup at a time. One cup to one cup meat, add spice kit, stuff and done. Unless I want some smoke on it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal