collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shot Size!?  (Read 11252 times)

Offline floatinghat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Shot Size!?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 09:33:31 PM »
My recommendation is for 7-1/2 for everything as a do-all shell.  I don't shoot steel so can't speak to that.  If I am chasing phez specifically, I go with #5 or 6, but that is so rare, and they are generally incidental game for me, that most of mine are taken with smaller shot. 

Only 3 months to go until Dove season.

Can't say it any better except 2 1/2 shells.

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 09:37:34 PM »
1oz of 6 shot with max dram. 
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 09:58:05 PM »
I'm going to go with non-toxic, and was quickly priced out of the Hevi-Shot.  What do you guys think about this stuff?

http://www.nwarmory.com/p-12733-kent-k203st244-3in-78-stl-2510.aspx
those will work for everything except for big geese unless they are really close. They are a little big for quail, just let them get out a little ways before shooting and shoot an open choke because steel patterns tighter than lead.

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 11:07:42 AM »
I'm going to go with non-toxic, and was quickly priced out of the Hevi-Shot.  What do you guys think about this stuff?

those will work for everything except for big geese unless they are really close. They are a little big for quail, just let them get out a little ways before shooting and shoot an open choke because steel patterns tighter than lead.

Steel patterns tighter than lead??? That's just impossible, lead is always better than steel .The only down side of lead is negative environmental impact . Lead always flies further and patterns tighter.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 11:15:52 AM by Tiger1358 »

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 11:11:05 AM »

:yeah: Great choice...Might be a lil too much for quail but they work very well for pheasants and grouse. For waterfowl you can get BBB - #2 from Cabela's for $149.99 . Kent makes good quality ammo.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
I guess I'll buck the trend.  I like lead 6's for a do all load but buy different shot for what I'm doing.  Late season wild roosters get lead 5's or 4's.  Hunting for huns or quail I use 7.5.  Waterfowl or release site birds get something totally different, such as steel 4's or 2's. 

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »

Steel patterns tighter than lead??? That's just impossible, lead is always better than steel .The only down side of lead is negative environmental impact . Lead always flies further and patterns tighter.

Nope.  Steel should produce a tighter pattern.  Try patterning some if you don't believe it. 
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 11:57:52 AM »

Nope.  Steel should produce a tighter pattern.  Try patterning some if you don't believe it.

Last time I tried that  2 weeks ago. I was shooting Winchester # 6 steel vs Federal # 6 lead. Lead pattern was a lot better. Hunters all over the world prefer lead over steel.

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 12:30:42 PM »
I prefer lead over steel too, but not because lead has a tighter pattern.  Lead is better because it is heavier and you can use smaller size shot so you can get more pellets on target. 

But the fact still remains that in general, steel will produce tighter patterns.  You ever see copper plated lead shot?  The reason they plate them is so that the pattern is tighter; it is tighter because the shot is harder and doesn't get deformed while traveling out your barrel, thus providing a tighter pattern.

I've never used steel shot as small as 6's so maybe with the smaller size shot it isn't as a big a difference?  I just think that usually steel will give a tighter pattern.  I know that back in the late 80's when we first were required to hunt with steel, my 30" full choke was too tight and I had to buy a new barell and the improved cylinder choke with #2 steel gave me full choke patterns. :twocents:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »

[/quote]

Last time I tried that  2 weeks ago. I was shooting Winchester # 6 steel vs Federal # 6 lead. Lead pattern was a lot better. Hunters all over the world prefer lead over steel.

[/quote]
Patterning cheap promo ammo like your Winchester sixes is a waste of time.  Don't take my word for it.  Cut one of those things open, put it on a plate and see how many of those pellets won't roll.
Good consistent patterns come from good, round, HARD shot.  That doesn't change whether you're flinging steel or lead. 

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 02:39:20 PM »
Steel patterns much tighter than lead because it is harder and the pellets don't get deformed as they travel down the barrel and through the choke. For this reason I prefer steel for almost all hunting. And yes I do believe that steel 3's and 4's kill pheasants more effectively than lead 6's because steel shells are generally faster and will pattern tighter than lead. The only downside to steel is that it is lighter than lead but it's really not as big of a difference as everyone thinks. The only thing I'll use lead for is turkeys, clays, and if I am quail hunting and not expecting any roosters.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 02:41:27 PM »
Hi Forum,

I just picked up my first shotgun!  It is a Remington 870 Express 20 gauge with a 3" chamber(also shoots 2.75" shells).  I plan to frequently hunt grouse, hunt quail near ellensburg with a little less frequency and hopefully stumble upon the occasional pheasant.  I'm wondering if one load will "do it all" in the name of simplicity.  Thanks for your help!

Since you're mainly focusing on quail I would stick to a 7 1/2 size premium upland load(leadcopper coated) And since you have a pump shogun wouldn't hurt to back up the 7 1/2's with 6's.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:47:48 PM by singleshot12 »
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »
Steel patterns much tighter than lead because it is harder and the pellets don't get deformed as they travel down the barrel and through the choke. For this reason I prefer steel for almost all hunting. And yes I do believe that steel 3's and 4's kill pheasants more effectively than lead 6's because steel shells are generally faster and will pattern tighter than lead. The only downside to steel is that it is lighter than lead but it's really not as big of a difference as everyone thinks. The only thing I'll use lead for is turkeys, clays, and if I am quail hunting and not expecting any roosters.

Problem is most "wild phez" jump at 50+ yards. Lead or heavy shot is the only thing capable to put the hurt at that range.

Steel shot is perfect for box chickens on the other hand :twocents:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »
I prefer lead over steel too, but not because lead has a tighter pattern.  Lead is better because it is heavier and you can use smaller size shot so you can get more pellets on target. 

But the fact still remains that in general, steel will produce tighter patterns.  You ever see copper plated lead shot?  The reason they plate them is so that the pattern is tighter; it is tighter because the shot is harder and doesn't get deformed while traveling out your barrel, thus providing a tighter pattern.

I've never used steel shot as small as 6's so maybe with the smaller size shot it isn't as a big a difference?  I just think that usually steel will give a tighter pattern.  I know that back in the late 80's when we first were required to hunt with steel, my 30" full choke was too tight and I had to buy a new barell and the improved cylinder choke with #2 steel gave me full choke patterns. :twocents:

Probably you're right about the difference in size. I've never patterned lead bigger than #4 in US, because they don't make them here...In Europe I was using lead for all kinds of hunting, non toxic wasn't required for waterfowl and upland game. I remember how my shotgun was patterning in Europe and when I tried steel pellets first time in US , I noticed a big difference. Maybe my reloads in Europe were better than these manufactured ammo..IDK..However, when I was patterning I was always getting better result with lead. By the way, I don't know if you know how to make shotgun pellets at home, but if you do ,make those pellets out of lead plates from car batteries. They're harder than regular lead and they don't get deformed as much as regular lead. You would probably get good results with those pellets.

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »

[/quote]
Patterning cheap promo ammo like your Winchester sixes is a waste of time.  Don't take my word for it.  Cut one of those things open, put it on a plate and see how many of those pellets won't roll.
Good consistent patterns come from good, round, HARD shot.  That doesn't change whether you're flinging steel or lead.
[/quote]

I opened one of them like a year ago, it was alright. Then one of friends gave me some Winchester #5 that didn't fit his shotgun, I decided to open that one too,it was copper plated and looked good too. And you're right that Winchester is really cheap and their ammo is not always good.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]