collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: venison ground brown from freezer...ok to eat?  (Read 16369 times)

Offline splashcaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
venison ground brown from freezer...ok to eat?
« on: June 14, 2014, 07:38:33 PM »
I founds some venison ground from the year before last nicely packed in the back of my freezer. I defrosted along with a pack of ground from this year and was a little unsure about the color differences between the two. The one from this past year looks bright red but the one from the year before is brown. I know the freezer can turn meat a little brown but I just didn't know how long was too long before venison ground goes bad or if the brown meat is alright to eat.

Thanks

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
Re: venison ground brown from freezer...ok to eat?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »
2 year old venison burger as long as it was properly wrapped and stayed frozen solid should be fine.  The color may be a little brown as you noticed, but that's OK.  If the moistness and the smell are normal you should be OK.

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:09:31 PM »
 It gets a little freezer burnt after time. I've cooked it up before without any issues.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 11:18:25 PM »
It gets a little freezer burnt after time. I've cooked it up before without any issues.

:yeah: to both.  If small freezer burn spots, just cut them out.  I've eaten burger that was four years or more old with no problems, though it was vacuum packed.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 11:47:37 PM »
Freezer burnt meat is not bad for you it just might not taste right.  After all it is only dehydrated and not bacteria laden.

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 07:19:40 AM »
2 year old venison burger as long as it was properly wrapped and stayed frozen solid should be fine.  The color may be a little brown as you noticed, but that's OK.  If the moistness and the smell are normal you should be OK.
Eaten many 2-3 year old venison burgers no problem and you will know if its freezer burnt.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 09:57:50 AM »
Eaten many 2-3 year old venison burgers no problem and you will know if its freezer burnt.
I had a couple packs of antelope sauasage that looked a lil different, but ate just fine after 3 years. What the family doesn't know won't hurt em  :chuckle:

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
If you added beef or pork fat, it can go bad in the freezer over time.  When I say bad, I mean not taste great, not harmful to you.  If it tastes acceptable, then have at it.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 10:40:20 AM »

:yeah: to both.  If small freezer burn spots, just cut them out.  I've eaten burger that was four years or more old with no problems, though it was vacuum packed.

:yeah:  Freezer burn won't hurt you it just doesn't taste good. Trim off the worst freezer burn spots that helps a lot, use garlic powder on the meat when you cook it and that reduces bad flavors, garlic powder also works pretty well for taming down rutty tasting meat.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »
I had this issue a few years ago and like you, talked to a few knowledgeable folks, some on this forum, but also a few butchers. I lost power (and had not yet purchased a generator) so one of my freezers with elk burger was fully thawed before I got back to the house.

I turned all of mine into pepper sticks and turned out great.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal