collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks  (Read 234803 times)

Offline Bendejo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks
« Reply #840 on: November 04, 2023, 05:33:19 AM »
I just got one in the mail. Silvel Amazon heater. Kicks out good dry heat. Plan to use it at whitetail camp in a few weeks, but I'm currently trying to figure out a good power source for it. Leaning towards the deep cycle lithium battery, that can work well at cold temperatures.
I Jerry rigd the power source to a car lighter plug I got at o'reilly's, and bootlegged a bigger fuse so it wouldn't blow out on warming up the glow plug.
Worked fine with the car running through the warm-up phase, which takes more power.

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #841 on: November 04, 2023, 08:32:39 AM »
There was some chatter about Diesel heaters in tents on another thread. Thought it would be a good topic here.

I watched some videos on Diesel heaters and I find them intriguing but not ready to give up my wood stove to run one. I can see they would be great if you were hunting in an area with no wood supply.

I use a Space Heater Arctic stove.  It's actually pretty amazing.  Small in size, I unzip the stove spot in the floor of the tent, and put it on an old heat blanket, (the ones we use at work when cutting/welding around sensitive materials).  With no legs, it will heat the tent almost to the floor.  It will burn wood, coal, 3 or 4 different grades of jet fuel, kerosene (#1 diesel, or stove oil, (#2 diesel).  I have a squirt bottle of fuel so I don't have to use the little cup to start the fire.  I also have some good rubber gloves that I use when starting, or fueling it.  Depending on how hot it's cranked up, it burns about 1 1/4 gallon of diesel per night.  I usually fire it up right when we get back to camp, so it runs about 10-12 hours a day.  If I can find pictures I'll post them.  It is a military stove made by Hunter.  There is a military video on YouTube somewhere too.  I hang little battery operated fans above our boots at night, so they are warm and dry in the morning, along with all our clothing.

At the price of off-road diesel, it's worth it to me to not have to bring firewood, or a saw/gas/bar oil/file/bar wrench/extra chain and then go find firewood when I should be scouting or hunting.   I used to fall timber, so my only saw is somewhat large, and takes up quite a bit of room.  (066 Stihl with 36" Windsor bar).  Great old saw, but the older I get, the less I like packing around. 

Two cans of diesel for the Hunter SHA, and we are warm for 10 days, and nights.  I've never burned any of the other fuels in it.  I think it would burn out in a few years if one used wood all the time.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 09:46:06 AM by CastleRocker »
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #842 on: December 25, 2023, 09:22:53 PM »
Looking foreword to getting back in the tent.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Here goes idaho by huntnnw
[Today at 02:29:06 PM]

Is there an elephant in the room by Special T
[Today at 02:27:51 PM]

Cougar/Bear Studies from Other Game Departments by idaho guy
[Today at 02:22:07 PM]

2024 sheds…..let’s see em’ by elkrack
[Today at 02:13:11 PM]

Esee Izula Knife by johns8168
[Today at 01:50:37 PM]