collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks  (Read 236618 times)

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks
« Reply #750 on: August 18, 2021, 06:21:26 AM »
Seems weird that you guys clean your tents before season and not after the seasonal use and before storage.

I think the only reason to clean before would be to shrink the canvas.  I wash mine after and then hang it in the shop to dry…..then it goes on the shelf till the following season.   Never used detergent on my canvas tents either.   Broom off the dried debris, hose off the rest and then let dry.   Easy as that.
Pretty much same process on my end. Although, every other year or two I will set mine up in the summer months for a week or so just for the hell of it.

I’m definitely not knocking on a guy (Ghost) who takes great care and pride in his equipment.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #751 on: August 18, 2021, 06:54:48 AM »
i have mine stored in rolling wheel trash cans. the 16x20 is tough to manage one person and this works well to store... also a sash of mothballs to keep rodents out of the can sitting inside.
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Tight Spin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
« Reply #752 on: September 01, 2021, 01:03:48 PM »
Going to buy a wall tent. Looking for input on which is the best. Something around 16 x20 and a lighter material than the heavy canvas. Our hunting party in on the older side . I have a good wood stove and will be hunting with snow at times. Thanks Larry

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #753 on: September 01, 2021, 01:10:58 PM »
Going to buy a wall tent. Looking for input on which is the best. Something around 16 x20 and a lighter material than the heavy canvas. Our hunting party in on the older side . I have a good wood stove and will be hunting with snow at times. Thanks Larry

I would look into the Cabelas Bighorn and Alaknak if you are wanting lighter material
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #754 on: September 11, 2021, 09:13:21 AM »

Montana Canvas are the heaviest but last excellent
The Wall Tent Shop has a much lighter canvas, they are good tents too, I have several
Relite is lighter than canvas (google relite tents)
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #755 on: September 11, 2021, 02:20:11 PM »

I would look into the Cabelas Bighorn and Alaknak if you are wanting lighter material
:yeah:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Tight Spin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
« Reply #756 on: September 15, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Artic oven tent ? Sure are spendy

Online Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #757 on: September 15, 2021, 05:54:56 PM »

I can’t find alaknak tents new anymore

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #758 on: September 15, 2021, 08:36:02 PM »

I would not buy a large tent. If I needed that much room I would buy two small tents. Hunting camp populations go up and down with two smaller tents you have more flexibility.
If you got one big tent and nobody wants to go. The tent stays home and that’s a shame.

I have three 10 x 12 tents. Elk camp this year four guys. Two tents up and the extra frame between them for a kitchen. The big cook shack stays on the trailer.
From there straight to deer camp 15 folks all three of my tents full and the big cook shack is up. The other nine folks bring their own.

Want to go buy yourself one 10 x12 is a palace with a wood stove.

A lot easier.

One of my tents is 10 oz with aluminum frame from Reliable Tent and Tipi. It’s my favorite.

Tent # 1 back in this thread.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Emptyhanded

• Longhunter
« Reply #759 on: October 21, 2021, 11:47:21 AM »
Bump to the top and tagging to read through later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #760 on: October 21, 2021, 12:44:35 PM »
Not knowing your age but as the years get added on the 16 x 20 will be neigh on impossible to put up by yourself, at least it was for me personally I would recommend a 12  x 16 at the biggest if there is a possibility of having to put it up alone.  Even then can be a challenge.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #761 on: October 21, 2021, 04:06:49 PM »
I have had a Cabela's 8 person Westwind tent, 12' x 14'x 6' 8" height, for 9 years now. It has been an outstanding tent!
You can hunt 3 people with cots, all their gear, and a 3' x 4' center table comfortably.
I have been using it solo for the last 8 years, and I even bring a coat rack. Yes I bring way too much stuff to deer camp, LOL.
It has withstood 45 - 60 MPH winds that lasted all night with no damage at all. It was not pleasant by any means while going through it, but the tent held up just fine. The best part, I can put it up by myself in about and hour.
The only drawback I have noticed, is if you have to use a propane heater (Buddy Heater), there is condensation on the inside walls like all nylon tents until it drips off. I love the vestibule. I keep all my coolers, beer, Irish whiskey, and my boots in the vestibule. Helps keep the interior a bit cleaner especially in a wet year.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #762 on: October 21, 2021, 04:20:55 PM »
Not exactly a wall tent but figured adding in my experience. We had a 16x20 wall tent with stove that was pretty darn awesome but like others have mentioned, does have downsides. The footprint would limit some of the places we could set it up along with it being a longer process to put up that needed multiple people. Add to that the overall bulk of all the parts would fill half the bed of your pickup plus if you only had 2 people it was overkill. We ended up moving to the Kodiak Canvas 10x14 with a pop up canopy in front of it. The tent is perfect size for 2 guys and still plenty doable for 3. Its easy to put up by yourself, waterproof and heats quickly with just a buddy heater.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #763 on: October 21, 2021, 04:30:17 PM »
Not exactly a wall tent but figured adding in my experience. We had a 16x20 wall tent with stove that was pretty darn awesome but like others have mentioned, does have downsides. The footprint would limit some of the places we could set it up along with it being a longer process to put up that needed multiple people. Add to that the overall bulk of all the parts would fill half the bed of your pickup plus if you only had 2 people it was overkill. We ended up moving to the Kodiak Canvas 10x14 with a pop up canopy in front of it. The tent is perfect size for 2 guys and still plenty doable for 3. Its easy to put up by yourself, waterproof and heats quickly with just a buddy heater.

I also use a pop-up 12x12 canopy with a bug net around it for my camp kitchen. Works great!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline MHWASH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #764 on: November 02, 2021, 06:34:54 PM »
The bottom inch or so of my tent is wet from last nights rain. I’m headed home in the morning, but will be setting my tent back up on Monday. Am I ok to leave it rolled up until Monday?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]