collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best boots for a guy with achilles tendonitis  (Read 5410 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Best boots for a guy with achilles tendonitis
« on: April 20, 2016, 12:31:56 PM »
Last season I really struggled with heal pain during deer/elk season. It started after I changed boots before the season and did a marathon scouting trip one weekend. The next time I went out I could barely hike up hill the pain was so bad. I finally went to the Dr. and she told me it was Achilles tendonitis, and the new stiff soled (Meindl Denali's) are probably what caused it for me. I've now read a few times on hiker forums of the same thing happening when someone made the switch to a stiff soled boot and did a mega hike.

I have been doing mega leg and ankle exercises to strengthen those tendons and muscles, and stretching all the time, and the problem has gotten much better, but needless to say, I can't wear these boots anymore. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a softer soled boot that will allow my feet to bend normally in steep ground?

Also, does anyone want to buy a very lightly used pair of Meindl Denali's in 8.5?
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Best boots for a guy with achilles tendonitis
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:25:21 PM »
I have had very good luck with keen boots. But avoid the liberty ridge they're pretty stiff.
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 06:32:36 PM »
I know with me, my problem is I don't do enough before the season as far as exercise and stretching.  Then I go balls out for a couple months and pay the price!  Doesn't matter what boots I wear I'm hurtin.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 06:34:27 PM »
Danner Pronghorn would be good.  They stay waterproof for about ten hours before the Gore-Tex goes to crap, but they are comfortable and used by others I know who have similar problems.

For warm weather a number of friends that served in Iraq (Marines) have been talking up the Oakley Desert Assault boots.  I haven't tried them yet.  But those guys swear by them.  Might be worth a look.  Maybe some of our resident Jarheads can chime in on those.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 07:41:50 PM »
I have clinically very bad feet, and I wear a pair of Vasque St. Elias GTX that have been very easy going on them.  You can try them on at Bass pro shops, or at REI.  I would not hesitate to try on several different kinds of boots when you have the opportunity, if they are uncomfortable after walking around in the store for abit I would move on.  I have found my feet don't hold up well breaking in stiff boots, and you might also look into quality insoles while you are shopping for boots.  Another thing you might want to look into is some quality orthotics from a qualified podiatrist.  I am lucky enough to have the VA take care of my feet, but I would bet your insurance would cover a portion of the orthotics if your podiatrist recommends them.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 08:03:14 PM »
I have tendinitis in my arches and with the wrong boots I cannot hardly walk after a day. I tried and tried all different boots to no end. Finally I bit the bullet and called lathrop and sons and did their custom boot system. Want cheap but my feet have never felt better! Very glad I went that route and got some help. Those guys told me everything about my feet down to where I get blisters and where any pain is just from my imprints and pictures. They put me in lowa bighorn hunters and I love them. I also got some Salomon 4d hikers from that are great as well.
Again wasn't cheap but in the long run it will pay for itself in my not buying a pair of $300 boots each year that aren't right and make my feet hurt.

Good luck! It sucks having crappy feet and ankles.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 09:09:02 PM »
Danner Pronghorn would be good.  They stay waterproof for about ten hours before the Gore-Tex goes to crap, but they are comfortable and used by others I know who have similar problems.

For warm weather a number of friends that served in Iraq (Marines) have been talking up the Oakley Desert Assault boots.  I haven't tried them yet.  But those guys swear by them.  Might be worth a look.  Maybe some of our resident Jarheads can chime in on those.

I tried the Meindl s last year to get away from the Pronghorns. I'd gone through 3 pairs in 4 years. They were very comfortable but fell apart almost immediately. Hopefully I can find a better quality alternative.

Offline fastdam

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 09:50:34 PM »
Get a good insole. It helped me and now it's gone

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 10:11:26 PM »
I tried the Meindl s last year to get away from the Pronghorns. I'd gone through 3 pairs in 4 years. They were very comfortable but fell apart almost immediately. Hopefully I can find a better quality alternative.

Definitely not the old Danners that lasted a decade or more.  Once they went over seas it tanked quick.  But they are comfy for the couple weeks they stay together.

You might try calling Stephen at Lathrop and Son's.  If they can't get you into the right boot I'm not sure anyone can!  Stephen even put me on the right track on my La Sportiva's...and they don't even sell those.  Great knowledge.  Great people.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 08:08:05 AM »

Definitely not the old Danners that lasted a decade or more.  Once they went over seas it tanked quick.  But they are comfy for the couple weeks they stay together.

You might try calling Stephen at Lathrop and Son's.  If they can't get you into the right boot I'm not sure anyone can!  Stephen even put me on the right track on my La Sportiva's...and they don't even sell those.  Great knowledge.  Great people.

I have heard good things about those guys. I listened to a podcast the other day with them on it. Out of curiosity, what did it cost for their fitting services?

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 08:09:37 AM »
Get a good insole. It helped me and now it's gone

I got the Superfeet Green insoles last year and they helped tremendously. My only complaint is that they don't breath at all. My feet have never been sweatier/stinkier. I'm going to try a couple of other ones and see if I get any better results.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 08:49:02 AM »
Switching footwear can really kill a guy.  What type of shoes do you normally wear?  If you are now in a more minimal, low heel drop shoe, I would suggest finding a boot that is similar.

I wear Nanos most days and have worked out in them for several years now.  If I put on a higher heel stiff boot, I just fall apart.  Unfortunately, this meant that I am now on my third different pair looking for something that works.  So far, they are working great and I am doing 5 mile lunch rucks and they seem to be the ticket.

I am in Belleville TR102s.  They are ridiculously light and soft, just like wearing high top Nanos.  I would caution that they have a very flexible Vibram sole, only 2 mm of heel drop and wouldn't suggest anyone try them unless they are used to running, hiking and lifting in minimal type shoes.  You really need good ankle and foot stability, but they feel awesome if that is what you are looking for.

I'm looking at adding a rock shield insert in case I need to wear them in sharp rocky terrain, but they seem to be the ticket so far.  I have a Goruck in 2 weeks, so that will tell the story for sure.

So, my advice would be to try to find a boot that closely matches what you wear on a daily basis as far as stability, heel drop and overall flexibility.

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 09:02:36 AM »
Tagging to follow along.   

I started wearing a Lowa GTX 3-4 years back after having a bout with Plantar facia pain.  They treated me pretty well so far. I have found that a good insole really helps with getting the foot healthy again.

In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 09:14:50 AM »

I have heard good things about those guys. I listened to a podcast the other day with them on it. Out of curiosity, what did it cost for their fitting services?
when I did the custom boot system I think it was right around $800 total including 2 pairs of darn tough socks and some boot wax and custom foot soles. Definitely not cheap but well worth it. A plus side is that all future boots use the same fitting and they will revisit it at no cost, future boots are just the retail cost of the boot and foot sole. The first pair hurts the worst on the wallet.  :chuckle:

Offline head hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 11:34:53 AM »
I have bad feet and have a really hard time finding boots that work. Kenetrek ate the best I have seen. Had one pair for five years and still wear them and just got another. Mountain extremes, very comfy and have never been wet in them
Its all about the bone baby!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand