collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Goodman GMU 612 Anybody hunt up that way  (Read 2483 times)

Offline spottedhand

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • ssg usa ret
Goodman GMU 612 Anybody hunt up that way
« on: July 12, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »
Having Multi season deer and elk tags. I have been planning to hunt some different areas. I had GMU 612 on my bucket list years ago for muzzy elk but never made it. Been muzzy elk in SW WA for the last 20yrs and want something different this year. Does anyone still elk hunt GMU 612?

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
Re: Goodman GMU 612 Anybody hunt up that way
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »
Ya plenty of guys hunt the Goodman. You have to have a Rayonier access permit to hunt most of it anymore and they are limited so plan for that unless you only want to hunt the state land.. There are elk to be had in there no doubt..

Offline spottedhand

• Tracker
  • ssg usa ret
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:59:56 PM »
NWhunter thanks for the input. I am familiar with the state land and have bought the permit for the Rayonier property but have done only map scouting of the permit area. I'm anxious to get the permit so I do the boot work.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 10:38:36 PM »
Lots of really brushy second growth.  The elk can move around a lot in there.  The guys I know that do best in there are in groups and have bicycles to cover lots of ground on the lots of logging roads.  They just find the direction the elk are moving and keep trying to intercept them.  Some of the guys like to focus on the upper part and once the elk start moving toward town, they have to pass between them.

Offline Webfoot

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »
Like NWHUNTER said you have to buy the Rayonier pass to hunt most of the unit. I have bought the pass every year since it was required and have hunted the area many years before that. Will not be buying it this year. Way to many passes sold for the amount of area and last year they opened up a couple of the best walk in spots to drive in. They give you a key for the locked gates, last year there was not one gate that didn't have about 2 dozen vehicles driving up and down the roads at any given time. With all of the traffic most of the elk are driven out of the area and the blacktails are in hiding. Not trying to keep anyone from buying the permit just letting you know what to expect.

Offline spottedhand

• Tracker
  • ssg usa ret
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 10:16:24 PM »
Thanks Webfoot, I saw there were 50 permits and bought one. Thought I would give it a shot. Although I am a disabled veteran, I prefer to get out of my vehicle and in the woods. Unfortunately, this season I will be hunting alone as my son is deployed and my other partners refuse to buy permits. Thanks again for the info

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal