collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: draw weight for deer  (Read 6871 times)

Offline stealheadfisher

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
draw weight for deer
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:56:20 PM »
how many pounds would you suggest for deer hunting?

Offline Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: draw weight for deer
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 04:59:04 PM »
I shoot 70. I would go with the highest you can shoot accurately and comfortable practicing a lot with. Almost more important is sharp strong broadheads!

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:02:03 PM »
I shoot 70. I would go with the highest you can shoot accurately and comfortable practicing a lot with. Almost more important is sharp strong broadheads!

Same here. I started with 60 and killed one deer at that. 70 was no problem to jump up to. Although it took a little getting used to at first. If you’re an average healthy adult I’d go with 70 pound bow and if you’re just starting, you can bump it down to start until you’re comfortable and confident at that weight, and then go up from there.

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 05:03:25 PM »
Hhhmmm
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline stealheadfisher

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:05:02 PM »
i am getting a bow soon and i know i can pull 50. do you think that is powerful enough

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »
i am getting a bow soon and i know i can pull 50. do you think that is powerful enough

Ya just get a super sharp broadheads and keep the shots close. I like 70 because I can get pass throughs in elk at 60-70 yards

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 05:29:49 PM »

Pretty sure WA minimum is 40.  A well placed arrow will kill a deer. Just like a well placed 6.5 creedmoor
 will kill a moose :chuckle: :o

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 05:33:48 PM »
It also depends if you are getting a Trad bow or a compound because draw weight is not created equal. I can shoot an 80# compound accurately but only a 65 # recurve accurately. Also, a 65# compound shoots way faster than a 65# recurve with same weight arrow

Compound or Stickbow?
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 06:17:17 PM »
I'd be more concerned with accuracy rather than draw weight.  You need to practice shooting at the smallest target possible.  We shoot at golf tees.  Aim small, miss small.  Yes 40 lbs is the smallest legal draw weight but you should be able to pull more than that.  hell with those that talk about hitting a pie plate...if you can't consistantly hit playing cards at a certain distance you shouldn't be shooting game at that distance.  Deer ribs are fragile and any modern broadhead will penetrate them with an accurate shot.  Don't listen to those that say draw weight will compensate for a poor shot.  Accuracy is the key.  No matter the draw weight if you don't think you can make a clean shot then don't take it. Bad shots will happen but confidence in your shot before it is made will end up in many more filled tags than just taking the attitude of "aim high and let 'er fly"
beer---it's whats for dinner

Online elkoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 01:15:34 PM »

My 11 year old daughter killed her buck this year with her bow set at 43lbs. 18 yards pass through...
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be, time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, the animals, and fish that live there”.- Fred bear

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 02:11:05 PM »
What others have said, anything 40lbs+ that you can shoot accurately.

Go to a pro shop and have them help you out and cut down your equipment learning curve big time. You can also get some good help at the big box stores but they can be hit and miss depending on who's helping you.  XXX Archery is pretty close to you if you live in Yacolt, I would go pay Cory a visit if I was you.

Offline Dtray332

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 08:35:09 AM »
Don't forget about good technique for drawing the bow. If you use your entire upper body, rotating your shoulders as well as arms to draw your bow, you will find that you will get a smooth draw while keeping your sights on the target area. You will also be able to handle more draw weigh as well. I've worked with a few new archers that when I watched them draw, they were just trying to muscle it with just their arms. Bows were aimed up in the air, shaking and struggling to pull it back. When you can keep your sights on your target and get a nice controlled smooth draw, there is a lot less movement on your part. Less chance of your deer or elk seeing you as well.
It's only trouble if you get caught. Otherwise it is an adventure.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 08:39:53 AM »
Easy to answer , harder to do. Draw as heavy as you can accurately practice then execute in the field with accuracy.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 10:10:14 AM »
Couple of things....

Bow hunting is about how close you can get, not how far you can shoot.

You should be able to draw your bow straight back without "porpoising" when it is blowing wet snow sideways, you are hungry, your muscles are stiff, tired, wet, you have a heavy coat on and you have been kneeling/crawling in the muck for 30 minutes trying to get a broadside shot.

I have never seen a guy be able to pull a 70lb bow back without "porpoising" in these conditions.  In the summer time after warming up, yeah, but that's not when I hunt.

A hair over 60 has been my limit, even in my 20's.   

Offline bradslam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »
I'd be more concerned with accuracy rather than draw weight.  You need to practice shooting at the smallest target possible.  We shoot at golf tees.  Aim small, miss small.  Yes 40 lbs is the smallest legal draw weight but you should be able to pull more than that.  hell with those that talk about hitting a pie plate...if you can't consistantly hit playing cards at a certain distance you shouldn't be shooting game at that distance.  Deer ribs are fragile and any modern broadhead will penetrate them with an accurate shot.  Don't listen to those that say draw weight will compensate for a poor shot.  Accuracy is the key.  No matter the draw weight if you don't think you can make a clean shot then don't take it. Bad shots will happen but confidence in your shot before it is made will end up in many more filled tags than just taking the attitude of "aim high and let 'er fly"

:yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw