collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2019 Eastern Washington Auction Elk Tag  (Read 7879 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: 2019 Eastern Washington Auction Elk Tag
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 10:17:12 AM »
$65k I’m guessing there has to be a big one on someone’s hit list.

You mean someone’s field or pasture.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 11:15:42 AM »
There are a few that just baffle the crap outta me. 

Why would you spend $32,000 on a moose tag for WA?  You could go to BC or Alaska and have a fully outfitted trophy moose camp for half that.
I am sure there are a ton of reasons people spend money on these tags.  It would be interesting to interview them all and see why and what makes them tick.

For me the reason would be that you don't want to wait for a tag and then have limitations on when you can hunt and what method you can use when hunting.

A moose can be had elsewhere for less money but there are a bunch of limitations.  With an auction moose tag here travel is way easier and you can have way more than a 7-10 window to find and shoot the moose you want.  If you can get close enough you can take one with a bow and if it is a monster and you just can't close enough to do it with a bow you can grab a muzzy or rifle and knock it down.

The guy that bought the sheep tag this year actually said that it was a benefit having the tag here in his home state.  He could take as much gear as he wanted in his own truck and do it on his own timeline.

It seems like a ton of money to pay for that but to some it is worth it.  I think a lot of these guys do it year after year so that tells me that the experience must be worth the cost if they keep spending their money on these types of tags versus going to BC or Alaska.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 11:34:16 AM »
Or, it could just be some guy that took advantage of the free beer and just happened to have a bigger checkbook than most.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 11:53:37 AM »
West side elk tag sure went cheap
Go hawks

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 12:04:10 PM »

Why would you spend $32,000 on a moose tag for WA?  You could go to BC or Alaska and have a fully outfitted trophy moose camp for half that.
1.   "Because I can."
2.   "Because I support what the funding goes towards."
3.   "Because moose in Washington are some of the largest Shiras moose in the world. British Columbia has three subspecies; Shiras are the least common of the three in BC. There are no Shiras moose in Alaska."
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 12:27:30 PM »
Surely Steven Rinella's success helped pop that number up a bit.  What did it usually sell for in the past?

Where did they auction the tag?

Pretty safe to assume Rinella's hunt had nothing to do with it. Elk are killed in this state every year that are significantly bigger and easier to access than the bull Rinella killed. The guys who bid on our auction tag are, for the most part, the same guys every year. They couldn't care less about stuff like that. I'd be willing to bet a dollar that 3/4 of the guys bidding on the tag hadnt even heard of Rinella's hunt. 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 12:29:48 PM »

Because Washington has some of the biggest Shiras bulls in the world. You're not hunting shiras bulls up north. #2 SCI Shiras bull moose in the world was killed here last year.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »

Because Washington has some of the biggest Shiras bulls in the world. You're not hunting shiras bulls up north. #2 SCI Shiras bull moose in the world was killed here last year.

:yeah: Get your money in now while there are still some trophy bulls left. Pretty soon they will be wolf scat.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 02:15:58 PM »

I am sure there are a ton of reasons people spend money on these tags.  It would be interesting to interview them all and see why and what makes them tick.

For me the reason would be that you don't want to wait for a tag and then have limitations on when you can hunt and what method you can use when hunting.

A moose can be had elsewhere for less money but there are a bunch of limitations.  With an auction moose tag here travel is way easier and you can have way more than a 7-10 window to find and shoot the moose you want.  If you can get close enough you can take one with a bow and if it is a monster and you just can't close enough to do it with a bow you can grab a muzzy or rifle and knock it down.

The guy that bought the sheep tag this year actually said that it was a benefit having the tag here in his home state.  He could take as much gear as he wanted in his own truck and do it on his own timeline.

It seems like a ton of money to pay for that but to some it is worth it.  I think a lot of these guys do it year after year so that tells me that the experience must be worth the cost if they keep spending their money on these types of tags versus going to BC or Alaska.

:yeah: 
If I had the money :chuckle: I would do it for the freedom to hunt close to home and have more days and weapon types available. Only thing I would add is the satisfaction for me is greater on a diy hunt and would prefer to be non guided. Guided hunts are great but I would rather have diy if I had the choice

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 02:23:12 PM »

Isn't it considered a donation too so you can write some of it off?  :dunno:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 03:01:17 PM »

The donation must be made to a recognized charitable organization, and only the amount in access of the fair market value may be reported as a charitable contribution.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 03:20:03 PM »

The donation must be made to a recognized charitable organization, and only the amount in access of the fair market value may be reported as a charitable contribution.
Probably makes little difference to those buying these tags - but short of bidding against yourself or paying a sum greater than the winning bid...isn't the purchase price FMV for tax purposes?  Or is there some other way that orgs use to estimate FMV of these various auction tags?
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 06:48:07 AM »
It three plus months of hunting . being able to call in multiple bulls and be picky knowing you can always find a dandy come December. The guys buying these auction tags for the most part do a ton for conservation from time involved to donations at these events . for some of these guys its like average guys spending 100 bucks on lottery tickets and I don't think any of them are financially hurt because of it. once you have done a hunt like this it will be in your blood and will literally consume your days thinking about doing it again.  With the Auction tags drawing a high price there's no doubt that the raffles will get blown up too .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 07:33:47 AM »

Probably makes little difference to those buying these tags - but short of bidding against yourself or paying a sum greater than the winning bid...isn't the purchase price FMV for tax purposes?  Or is there some other way that orgs use to estimate FMV of these various auction tags?
It would be up to the buyer to prove to the IRS that he paid in excess of FMV. I suspect in the majority of cases the purchase price is the FMV at least according to the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/charity-auctions

Donors who purchase items at a charity auction may claim a charitable contribution deduction for the excess of the purchase price paid for an item over its fair market value. The donor must be able to show, however, that he or she knew that the value of the item was less than the amount paid.  For example, a charity may publish a catalog, given to each person who attends an auction, providing a good faith estimate of items that will be available for bidding.  Assuming the donor has no reason to doubt the accuracy of the published estimate, if he or she pays more than the published value, the difference between the amount paid and the published value may constitute a charitable contribution deduction.

In addition, donors who provide goods for charities to sell at an auction often ask the charity if the donor is entitled to claim a fair market value charitable deduction for a contribution of appreciated property to the charity that will later be sold.  Under these circumstances, the law limits a donor's charitable deduction to the donor's tax basis in the contributed property and does not permit the donor to claim a fair market value charitable deduction for the contribution.  Specifically, the Treasury Regulations under section 170 provide that if a donor contributes tangible personal property to a charity that is put to an unrelated use, the donor's contribution is limited to the donor's tax basis in the contributed property.  The term unrelated use means a use that is unrelated to the charity's exempt purposes or function, or, in the case of a governmental unit, a use of the contributed property for other than exclusively public purposes.  The sale of an item is considered unrelated, even if the sale raises money for the charity to use in its programs.

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 08:39:32 AM »
Surely Steven Rinella's success helped pop that number up a bit.  What did it usually sell for in the past?

Where did they auction the tag?

Pretty safe to assume Rinella's hunt had nothing to do with it. Elk are killed in this state every year that are significantly bigger and easier to access than the bull Rinella killed. The guys who bid on our auction tag are, for the most part, the same guys every year. They couldn't care less about stuff like that. I'd be willing to bet a dollar that 3/4 of the guys bidding on the tag hadnt even heard of Rinella's hunt.

Exactly. :yeah:
Dan Agnew paid that for an auction tag 10 years ago.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal