collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming 165-6 deer  (Read 1760 times)

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Wyoming 165-6 deer
« on: June 20, 2019, 10:41:43 AM »
Anybody hunted deer unit 165 in Wyoming before? 

We had a terrible draw and are trying to decide whether we still want to make the trip.  Didn't draw any buck tags, but drew doe tags in unit 165, which are only good on private land.  There is a large Hunter Management Area (Greybull River), which looked good for those tags but now appears to be cut in half.  And the half that was cut was the half that looked good for deer.  Not sure when the change was made, but it was after we put in for tags.

There are also some other smaller chunks of land in HMAs in that unit, but they appear to be in flatter country that looks more like antelope country than deer country.

We don't mind travelling to fill doe tags because we enjoy road trips, but travelling for tags that aren't huntable would be a huge bummer.

Would be curious to hear that has driven through the area before.  Or even better if someone has hunted it.  I know there are some parts of the state where landowners are happy to have hunters fill doe tags and others where they aren't.

Offline Bwana Bob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Wyoming 165-6 deer
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 07:57:48 AM »
I hunted it last year for buck deer. you should have not problem filling doe tags there on the HMA, but you can stop and ask land owners along the grey bull river road for permission to hunt.

Offline dc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 11:06:54 AM »
Call the game dept.  They will have names and numbers for land owners willing to allow access.  They actually get paid a 30 ish dollar fee from the game dept. for every animal killed on there property if they allow access,  It is an easy process.  I talked to them last yr before my Wyoming hunt.  Got name, number, gave him a call and presto change o I had permission (on or within 1/2 mile of agg. land) to hunt and fill 2 each for my bro in law and I.  Great experience. 

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:53:32 AM »
I hunted it last year for buck deer. you should have not problem filling doe tags there on the HMA, but you can stop and ask land owners along the grey bull river road for permission to hunt.

How did your hunt go last year?
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal