collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Koro rat trap?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Cougartail

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Koro rat trap?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 04:56:34 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.
All illegal immigrants should be deported with a liberal under each arm.

Offline BillyTraps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: Master Hunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »
Has anyone tried adding a second spring? if so, I would like to know the best way.

thanks

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 04:15:09 AM »
I don't think there is room for an additional spring. 

It is a very strong, little rat trap.  Any critter that can fit inside the traps small frame will be dispatched without the need for additional strength.  The trap is meant to be placed in a box so the rodent has to enter from the front.  It is not meant to be a tunnel trap where the rodent runs through side to side.  Coming in from the front, the trap has passed foreign standards for humane dispatch.

If there is a weakness to this design it is in the trigger pan/dog.  It is not a very sensitive trap.  Often the target rodent will steal the bait off of several traps before tripping one.  I always gang set with two traps in a wire exclusion tunnel (one trap facing each direction).  I pulled one job yesterday.  2 of 4 traps had the bait stolen.  The 3rd trap had the culprit.

Picture came from a foreign site and depicts the use of the larger koro trap.  It's interesting that they use the larger trap in this box and then restrict the entrances down to a size that would be covered by the smaller trap. My exclusion boxes are made of wire but they are set up similar to this. 

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 09:05:38 AM »
Has anyone tried adding a second spring? if so, I would like to know the best way.

thanks

I would caution anyone against doing anything more than minor modification. The law that encompasses these traps references "common rat and mouse traps". If we go modifying the traps they will no longer meet the definition of "common". IMO adding an additional spring will invalidate their categorization as a common rat trap.
I do believe the trigger needs to have something done with it in order to use it on animals like mink, marten, civit and muskrat. I have used them with the pan unmodified and they spring too early. The animal needs to get farther into the trap before they trigger or the jaw will hit them in the face and push them out of the trap.
If you cut about 1/2 the pan off they will get far enough into the trap to get a neck catch at least with civits. I have not used them on other animals and it will take some experimentation to see what works best.
As said above they need to be used in a box and oriented so the animal enters from the front. I do not think they need a second spring as they are very strong.

Next year the Department has registered their intent to make a rule defining "common rat and mouse trap". Please do not screw this up for us by trying to make this into a trap it is not. Very minor modification is as far as we dare go.
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Dont know where to hunt, my spot was logged! by Meathunter06
[Today at 09:55:10 PM]

RIP ~ Delbert Jepson ~ Intermountain Fur Harvesters President by Trapper John
[Today at 09:50:06 PM]

Distance and Decoys by spadebit
[Today at 09:48:47 PM]

2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200 travel pack by bwiede
[Today at 09:34:53 PM]

Dog boxes by bwiede
[Today at 09:26:06 PM]

Early Christmas giveaway for a kid by Malitia T.
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Regulations clarification by Mulie87
[Today at 09:25:28 PM]

Help picking out a Christmas rifle for My Boy coming back from deployment by KFhunter
[Today at 09:21:14 PM]

I need a 400 yard deer gun. Here’s my options...... by jrebel
[Today at 09:16:34 PM]

a good one by 7mmfan
[Today at 09:11:01 PM]

North Idaho? by JM
[Today at 09:08:49 PM]

3 Mice and a Bull by WapitiTalk1
[Today at 08:58:00 PM]

WTB kids quad’s by cougkilr
[Today at 08:50:35 PM]

2019 Deer Post em here by WapitiTalk1