collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Diesel gurus, need advice  (Read 4948 times)

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Diesel gurus, need advice
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 03:27:25 PM »
If that is a common rail fuel system chances are the pump is lubricated with fuel and not oil. Common rail runs at such high psi it doesn’t matter how long your lines are it’s still going to get fuel into the combustion chamber. Washing a cylinder is a byproduct of that. You could have gotten dirty fuel but I would think water got in and not debris unless your pump is failing. I’m curious who the designer is(hopefully not Bosch and it’s similar to the gm fuel system). If you had a cracked injector or a missing tip it could easily cause that amount of fuel. Although if you find a missing tip you will need to check the outlet of the turbo and pull the head anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pup0025

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 03:28:48 PM »
I would say pump.  If it was a common rail system I would guess injectors.  That p7100 is what's going to set the fuel timing and rate.  I'm guessing something went wrong in the pump and half the diesel that's meant for the injectors is making it into the pump body and Into the oil.  That's my guess. :twocents:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 04:44:38 PM »
If that is a common rail fuel system chances are the pump is lubricated with fuel and not oil. Common rail runs at such high psi it doesn’t matter how long your lines are it’s still going to get fuel into the combustion chamber. Washing a cylinder is a byproduct of that. You could have gotten dirty fuel but I would think water got in and not debris unless your pump is failing. I’m curious who the designer is(hopefully not Bosch and it’s similar to the gm fuel system). If you had a cracked injector or a missing tip it could easily cause that amount of fuel. Although if you find a missing tip you will need to check the outlet of the turbo and pull the head anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said it was a Bosch p7100,  which is lubricated with engine oil and is't a common rail system. 

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 07:17:00 PM »
Roger, not common rail.

Based in part on some great input from knowledgeable folks here, I decided to bite the bullet, take off the pump, and send it down to Seattle for a speedy rebuild.  If this pans out, I have a huge thank you to give a certain member here for hooking it up.   He shall remain nameless at this point, however, for if I never see my pump again, I'll petition site ownership for his permanent banning  :chuckle:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 09:23:46 PM »
 :tup: Best of luck with the fix and rebuild Skillet!! Know you cannot afford to be down to long so hope it all goes perfect! Another great thing about this forum for sure!!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 09:28:08 PM »
Roger, not common rail.

Based in part on some great input from knowledgeable folks here, I decided to bite the bullet, take off the pump, and send it down to Seattle for a speedy rebuild.  If this pans out, I have a huge thank you to give a certain member here for hooking it up.   He shall remain nameless at this point, however, for if I never see my pump again, I'll petition site ownership for his permanent banning  :chuckle:

If you sent it to Seattle Injector, you’ll be fine.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 10:02:08 PM »
Roger, not common rail.

If you sent it to Seattle Injector, you’ll be fine.
:yeah: Had a super odd ball injector pump they were able to rebuild for me.  :tup:

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 10:59:32 AM »
This thread has been a cool read, learned a lot about Diesel engines that to be honest are alien to me.
Sorry it is at your expense Skillet, but thanks for sharing!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 10:08:06 AM »
Got a few minutes while waiting for my unload appt, wanted to give a quick update:

I took the injection pump off and put it and the original set of injectors on a plane to SeaTac.  In the mean time I installed the New set of injectors.

The guys at Seattle Injector arranged for a courier to pick it up.  They jumped on it and got it turned around in an impressively short time, took it back to the airport for me and put it on the plane to Sitka.  Rick reported that it was actually an "A" pump, news to me.  He said the pump looked like it had normal wear for a 16k+ hour unit, but the rebuild was going to be warranted at about 20k hours, so I consider this a good investment in early maintenance and piece of mind. He did report, however, that two of my six injectors were stuck open, over fueling cyls #3 and #6.  We discussed the possibility of my washing down the cyl walls, and he said tho it would be better if I hadn't run it all that way in that condition, he thought I would be ok. Total bill was a little over $2200.  He could have charged double that and I would have happily paid it..  Down time is expensive.

I met it at the airport, put a decent paint job on it and had it installed that night.  After a phone call the next morning and a bit of fiddling with the governor stop, it was running as good as it ever has.  Have put 200 hours on it since and has performed flawlessly.

Thanks to all of the Hunt Wa'ers who chimed in on this, the info was great.  And a special thanks, maybe a KaBoom even, goes to @woodchuck for his help, vast knowledge, and connections that helped me get turned around and back on the water as fast as I did.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 10:26:11 AM »
H-W saves the day, again.

This thread has been a cool read, learned a lot about Diesel engines that to be honest are alien to me.
Sorry it is at your expense Skillet, but thanks for sharing!

:yeah:

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2019, 11:01:02 AM »
 :tup:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 08:59:52 AM »
Got a few minutes while waiting for my unload appt, wanted to give a quick update:

I took the injection pump off and put it and the original set of injectors on a plane to SeaTac.  In the mean time I installed the New set of injectors.

The guys at Seattle Injector arranged for a courier to pick it up.  They jumped on it and got it turned around in an impressively short time, took it back to the airport for me and put it on the plane to Sitka.  Rick reported that it was actually an "A" pump, news to me.  He said the pump looked like it had normal wear for a 16k+ hour unit, but the rebuild was going to be warranted at about 20k hours, so I consider this a good investment in early maintenance and piece of mind. He did report, however, that two of my six injectors were stuck open, over fueling cyls #3 and #6.  We discussed the possibility of my washing down the cyl walls, and he said tho it would be better if I hadn't run it all that way in that condition, he thought I would be ok. Total bill was a little over $2200.  He could have charged double that and I would have happily paid it..  Down time is expensive.

I met it at the airport, put a decent paint job on it and had it installed that night.  After a phone call the next morning and a bit of fiddling with the governor stop, it was running as good as it ever has.  Have put 200 hours on it since and has performed flawlessly.

Thanks to all of the Hunt Wa'ers who chimed in on this, the info was great.  And a special thanks, maybe a KaBoom even, goes to @Woodchuck for his help, vast knowledge, and connections that helped me get turned around and back on the water as fast as I did.
I am just glad it worked out as well as it did, stay safe my friend.  :tup:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]