collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is it legal ?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline tritt007

• youngin
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Is it legal ?
« on: August 22, 2019, 12:16:40 PM »
So I have boatloads of deer at my place always have , but have never hunted them , recently a really nice buck started showing up in the evenings once in awhile very skiddish go figure anyways I live on 5 acresin unincorporated Clark county , would it be legal to shoot this deer on my place or even off my deck ? Always wanted to harvest a deer on my place just never had a quality buck . And yes I have some neighbors pretty close , I can see two of there houses through the trees and across the gravel , and I would most likely be using my bow . Any insight would be great lol. Thanks
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security  -Benjamin Franklin

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Re: Is it legal ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 12:27:59 PM »
I am thinking you would be legal as long as you had proper, tags and licenses and deer were in season. You don't own deer in this state because they are on your property. So you have to follow all game rules for your area and seasons.  :twocents:

Firearms depending on zoning might be a issue and distance from buildings.

A bow, probably ok

But also consider can you kill it on your land without it crossing onto the neighbors?????????

Me I would not kill a deer at my residence. I like to hunt too much.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 12:54:18 PM »
if its in season then you are good to go i think. i would check with the shooting zones vs no shooting zone vs residential though. i believe that residential zoning bans archery and firearms, but certain zones only ban discharge of a firearm (bb gun incuded). and if it dies on your neihboors place, well then you gotta get permission to tresspass to retrieve it, but if that all checks out, looks like you have a comfy new stand

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 12:59:38 PM »
This is a county by county issue not a state reg/law. Some counties have enacted ordinances that state you must be X amount of feet from a dwelling before shooting a firearm (including your own property). You can probably look up the Clark County ordinances online, or call the sheriff's office.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 01:02:58 PM »
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline tritt007

• youngin
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 01:34:10 PM »
Sweet thanks for the link , looks like I can shoot shotguns muzzleloaders and bows . As for the deer running into the neighbors place that's a high probability due to the size of the piece of land I guess .
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security  -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »
Sweet thanks for the link , looks like I can shoot shotguns muzzleloaders and bows . As for the deer running into the neighbors place that's a high probability due to the size of the piece of land I guess .
a) I'd have a talk with said neighbors in advance to feel em out. Ask for permission, so you don't end up wasting meat later.   :twocents:
b) don't worry about it and get the deer   :dunno:    :yike:

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 11:43:29 PM »
 :yeah: 

Deer generally run straight ahead when they are hit with a mortal shot.  Waiting until the deer is facing an opportune direction may make the neighbors a non-issue.  Hit 'em in the neck or head with a slug or muzzle loader and they should go down on that spot.  Hunting from a lounge chair the deck seems less than pure though.  Perhaps you should put a pop-up blind on the deck so you get the full experience.   :chuckle:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 08:12:36 AM »
Get an accurate 20 gauge bolt action shotgun and put a good scope on it. Shoot from a solid rest and using slugs shoot for the head or neck. Then no need to worry about it running onto the neighbor's property. Only issue would be the sound. Early morning might be waking someone up.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »
Get an accurate 20 gauge bolt action shotgun and put a good scope on it. Shoot from a solid rest and using slugs shoot for the head or neck. Then no need to worry about it running onto the neighbor's property. Only issue would be the sound. Early morning might be waking someone up.

Beat me to it.  Five acres is about 120 yards x 200 yards.  I would expect a large percentage of bow shot deer to end up on the neighbors place.  All of the advice from Bobcat will put him on your dirt.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 03:11:35 PM »

Deer generally run straight ahead when they are hit with a mortal shot.  Waiting until the deer is facing an opportune direction may make the neighbors a non-issue.  Hit 'em in the neck or head with a slug or muzzle loader and they should go down on that spot.  Hunting from a lounge chair the deck seems less than pure though.  Perhaps you should put a pop-up blind on the deck so you get the full experience.   :chuckle:

Damn, I need to start waiting until they are pointed towards my truck!
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 03:19:01 PM »

Damn, I need to start waiting until they are pointed towards my truck!
:chuckle:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 11:14:16 PM »
Don't forget to put the tailgate down!  They may just load themselves up for you.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 12:29:36 PM »
Big Buck heads for the neighbors yard? Nothing a little ingenuity can't fix.
 Mount a Spool of "MuleTape" to your Bow and when he drops in front of the BBQ just off their Back Porch.....Crank up the Winch and Reel Him In! (Just hope your arrow holds.)  :yike:
Problem Solved!  :IBCOOL:
Doug

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 12:42:19 PM by AL WORRELLS KID »
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]