collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Buying a bow  (Read 3308 times)

Offline dirtyseacapt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • I'm just me
Buying a bow
« on: September 10, 2019, 04:30:17 PM »
Does anyone have a diamond sb-1?  Looking for a decent budget bow tonuse for the next few years and was wondering if the  diamond 320 would be better. I have a 29 1/2 draw length. I also had a question on arrow grain. How does everyone get their arrows up to 300 grains? Or is that a light grain for an arrow? I've done some research and cant find much. My last question is about single bevel broadheads. Are most factory arrows left or right winged fleched, I know that left wing Feathers make the arrow rotate counterclockwise and right Wing feathers make it spin clockwise, and let hand shooters should shoot a lift wing feather  but are factory left or right winged? Kinda of a loaded question but I'm sitting in the hospital with the girlfriend and so I figured I'd ask.

Thank you

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Buying a bow
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 11:21:41 AM »
300 grains is extremely light for an arrow and you won’t be able to have an arrow that’s around 29” that will be that light unless your not putting a point on it.. Don’t worry about the direction the fletching is fletched it won’t make a difference. I have a SB-1. It’s not a bad beginner bow. Just plan on replacing all the accessories that come on it. 

Offline Sutherland

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 07:50:43 PM »
I've ran I to issues with the diamond edge sb-1 that I used for two years before finally upgrading. It was a great beginner bow and served me well while I had it. Main issue was having the string slip past the small string stops on the camd. The string would go limp and the bow would be fully loaded. Scary situation untill you get it in the bow press. The local archery store where I purchased the bow brand new said that it is a common issue with the bow. I reached out to diamond themselfs with no luck to fixing the problem. Just don't get excited and pull back to hard. Other than that I had no compliants. Just my  :twocents:

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 09:01:14 PM »
So 300 grain is super light. 500 grains is a good goal with a 10-15% FOC. If you use a single bevel you need to know the orientation which I believe most come factory right wing.

I shoot 550-600 grains with a cutthroat broadhead (toughest I’ve tried and I’ve hit a lot of rocks, not one broken) and I have 200 grains in the tip with FOC around 17%. These arrows are also for Alaska hunts and elk though, my buddies all shoot around 500 grains and FOC around 11 or 12%. Whitetail are easy to kill if you hit the vitals, weak bones.

Now for the bow I haven’t used it but there’s great deals on Ebay and craigslist. I’d go Mathews, bought a newer Mathews chill X for under $400 and it doesn’t get any better than a Mathews! Shop around a bit and get a good one, used they’re quite cheap and even the older ones are great.

Most important is get a bow, take it to a pro shop and get it tuned to you, get some shooting lessons, and paper tune with your final set up! Tunes cost like $20 and save a huge migraine and the lessons shave months off your learning curve.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline Matt778

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 02:13:46 PM »
I do have a bow for sale. I’m selling it for $800. It comes with a $150 rest and $150 quiver. The bow it self has been used for two years and I bought it new. I can send pictures. Let me know if you’re interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 02:42:17 PM »
Go to a pro shop, determine correct draw length and weight, that in turn will determine shaft spine for your arrow, then build your arrow.  Spot and stalk, tree stand....deer or elk, many things to consider regarding finished arrow weight.  I have killed deer and elk with 350 grain but now shoot 450.  There is tons of wiggle room as guys achieve siccess from light to heavy set up.  Shot placement is paramount.

Offline solomtnhunter

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 03:45:11 PM »
5mo old thread   :o
Traditional Bow Hunter/Target & 3D/NRA Life Member/WAC Member

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal