collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey season shut down chances.  (Read 66309 times)

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
Re: Turkey season shut down chances.
« Reply #360 on: April 06, 2020, 05:57:30 PM »
Update is out. Postponed until at least 4 May.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/covid-19-updates
Big at least.. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mhanaford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #361 on: April 06, 2020, 05:58:41 PM »
Spring turkey is postponed until at least May 4th. On WDFW’s website.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #362 on: April 06, 2020, 06:00:24 PM »
No Turkey Season😕 - Re assess May 4th

Apr 6, 2020
Contact
Media information: publicaffairs@dfw.wa.gov
Fishing information: fishpgm@dfw.wa.gov
Hunting information: wildthing@dfw.wa.gov     

WDFW acts to protect Washington communities from the spread of COVID-19
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) today announced that recreational fishing, shellfish harvesting and spring turkey and bear hunting seasons will be delayed in an effort to control the spread of COVID-19.

The decision follows a Friday announcement that all state land and boat ramp closures would extend to May 4, 2020 to coincide with Gov. Jay Inslee’s extension of the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order.

WDFW expects most recreation activities to remain closed through the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order. The department will reevaluate specific hunting, fishing, shellfish harvesting, public land, and boat ramp closures as new information becomes available from public health officials.

“Local public health authorities have relayed to us their concerns regarding the risk that hunting, fishing and recreational travel poses to their communities right now,” said WDFW Director Kelly Susewind. “With the support of the Governor's office we’re asking people to put their recreation plans on pause while we work together to get this situation under control.”

Director Susewind noted that some individuals may be able to enjoy these activities without risky interactions, but many cannot and asks everyone to be patient for the health of all Washingtonians.

These newly extended closures include all recreational fishing and shellfish harvesting, whether on public or private lands, and the spring bear hunts that would have started on April 1 as well as the April 4 and 5 youth turkey hunt. In addition, the department will postpone the spring bear and turkey season opening days, which were previously scheduled to open on April 15. The department made the closure decisions after consulting with local health departments.

While some recreational fishing opportunities exist year-round, the lowland lakes trout season opener, previously scheduled for April 25, is one of the most celebrated angling days of the year. The recreational halibut seasons scheduled to open on April 16 in Marine Areas 6-10 and Areas 1-5 on April 30 will be delayed. Recreational harvesting of spot shrimp in Marine Areas 5-7 and 12 will also be delayed. When fishing seasons do open, anglers should be prepared to practice proper social distancing and avoid the gatherings that characteristically define opening day for so many.

A number of April razor clam digs are cancelled, though the department will assess the ability for razor clamming and other shellfish seasons to resume in May. According to Larry Phillips, WDFW Coastal Region Director, “We had an excellent season planned, with a great number of days available for razor clam digging. If we are not able to reopen, clam diggers can still look forward to larger clams next year."

If the department is able to open spring bear and turkey seasons on May 4, spring bear hunters would still have until May 31 or June 15, depending on the location, to use their permits before the intended season closure dates for those hunts. Likewise, spring turkey hunters would have 28 days of hunting during the spring season, plus, most likely, a robust fall season.

Hunting application deadlines for the rest of the year have not changed, yet the deadline for sealing bobcat and river otter pelts that were harvested during the 2019-2020 season has been extended to July 20.

Refunds for licenses and permits, if initiated before opening day, are available. Hunters can also get their points reinstated for spring bear season if requested prior to the start of the season.

The department does not regulate shed antler hunting, yet wants to remind the public that this activity is not allowed on state lands while the closures are in place.

For the latest updates on WDFW’s coronavirus response updates,  visit wdfw.wa.gov/about/covid-19-updates.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is the state agency tasked with preserving, protecting, and perpetuating fish, wildlife, and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing, hunting, and other recreation opportunities.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #363 on: April 06, 2020, 06:02:56 PM »
NO!!!!!!!!

I mean, um, I'm not going to lock on and check for any more closures.   
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #364 on: April 06, 2020, 06:05:22 PM »
Should just say no one from west side can go to East side. I don’t see anyone where I hunt in Yakima county. Have to hunt in your county.

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #365 on: April 06, 2020, 06:14:25 PM »
Meanwhile there were hundreds of people up in the colockum last weekend...but you can't go sit in the woods by yourself...feeling targeted.

Offline HAGEMANIAC

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA, NWTF, RMEF, MDF, VFW, USAF
« Reply #366 on: April 06, 2020, 06:19:20 PM »
Coyotes sure are gonna get fat this winter
God made man, Samuel Colt made them equal.

Offline klickman

• Scout
« Reply #367 on: April 06, 2020, 06:31:56 PM »
Should just say no one from west side can go to East side. I don’t see anyone where I hunt in Yakima county. Have to hunt in your county.

:yeah:  Just open up hunting and fishing in your county or GMU of residence.  That way you won't overwhelm the community's services and you won't bring in the virus to these communities. 
Tule, the other white meat.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #368 on: April 06, 2020, 06:40:18 PM »
Closed till at least 5/4
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #369 on: April 06, 2020, 11:42:04 PM »
With Spokane curves not slowing I tend to agree:

During Monday's Spokane COVID Response briefing, Dr. Lutz said there are 222 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Spokane County, with one more death reported and 35 hospitalizations. Lutz said the latest COVID-related death, the 12th in the county, was a man in his 90's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #370 on: April 07, 2020, 12:40:03 AM »
If schools are closed for the school year they are not going to open turkey hunting. With Bill Gates spewing his political ways to handle the virus all weekend there is no way Inslee will do anything but follow the advice.
Ya never know there may be exceptions

only for those who go hunting anyway

Yep, private land and a crossbow....

Of course this is the first year in many I had access to private land, but it is too far away.   >:(

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #371 on: April 07, 2020, 03:20:03 AM »
Heartbreaking for all of us. Had to cancel my 5 day mini vacation. Stay safe everyone and God bless you and your families.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #372 on: April 07, 2020, 04:47:59 AM »
Will posting live pictures be salt in the wound?

Offline Andrew

• Hunter
« Reply #373 on: April 07, 2020, 05:00:50 PM »
To soon nwwanderer...tooo sooooon!  :(

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #374 on: April 07, 2020, 07:40:59 PM »
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2020/04/ny-spring-wild-turkey-hunting-season-set-for-may-1-with-strong-social-distancing-advice-given.html

But of all places, New York is still going on with turkey season!  This state is dumb as A box of rocks!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by BigVinn
[Today at 10:21:19 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]