collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Husqvarna 460 Rancher chainsaw: Who’s running one?  (Read 5581 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Husqvarna 460 Rancher chainsaw: Who’s running one?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 09:55:31 PM »
I got me a 372xp before they messed it up

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Husqvarna 460 Rancher chainsaw: Who’s running one?
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 10:05:12 PM »
I have an old Husky saw with a 20” bar. Probably 25 years old and it’s awesome. My grandfather bought it new and I got it when he passed away. That thing sat untouched for years. Starts after a pull or 2 every time and cuts like crazy.  I don’t cut firewood anymore but that saw cut a bunch of oak, maple and hickory wood back East when it was newer. Stihl and Husqvarna debate seems to be just like a Ford/Chevy debate.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline stickbuck

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 10:15:03 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Always nice to get everyone’s opinions before pulling the trigger. Definitely feels like the good old Ford/Chevy debate that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 11:19:40 PM »
To me it isn’t as much a Ford vs Chevy thing, husquvarna is my favorite absolutely love the XP saws and this is from a die hard stihl guy. But if you don’t go with the Xp line you are better off with a stihl. That rancher will do just fine like a lot of guys have said it will run when you need it to for years, but it’s a turd.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 11:24:57 PM »
One thing I’ve noticed since I moved out west is the size of the saws people use out here.  Growing up back East, we cut a lot of wood. Heated our house solely with wood through winter where it got real cold. Hardwoods too. Oak, maple, hickory, etc. My dad and grandfather had saws with 20” bars and cut everything with them.  I cut all the trees off my grandfathers property and cleared for his house with a 20” saw. Why’s everybody gotta have saws with gigantic bars on them out here? I mean I get the loggers and the pros but seems like folks have a thing for oversized saws they don’t really need. Aren’t they just heavier after a day in the woods?

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2020, 08:45:31 AM »
I like to stand up straight and have a bar that'll nearly touch my toes

If I got a short bar I gotta bend over a lot, then my back is sore.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 08:54:35 AM »
Depends how much filing you want to do. I prefer a small saw for personal use, large saw for work all day

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 08:58:54 AM »
Depends how much filing you want to do. I prefer a small saw for personal use, large saw for work all day
Ya that too

I got screamed at so much when I wss green and kept running the bar into the dirt on the landing lol

Then finally one of the old guys gave me a lesson on how to cut a dirty log and not drag the dirt through the wood, and filing.

I was a farm kid that cut a lot of fire wood, but then logging was a whole nother level

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 10:30:51 AM »
Ya that too

I got screamed at so much when I wss green and kept running the bar into the dirt on the landing lol

Then finally one of the old guys gave me a lesson on how to cut a dirty log and not drag the dirt through the wood, and filing.

I was a farm kid that cut a lot of fire wood, but then logging was a whole nother level

Maybe you could host a video conference for my family on how to keep the saw out of the dirt? My recommendations aren’t getting traction. I have an electric pole saw that works pretty well for small stuff. Oh, it gets used to cut something laying flush on the ground. And did anyone check the oil? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 10:16:22 PM »
I like to stand up straight and have a bar that'll nearly touch my toes

If I got a short bar I gotta bend over a lot, then my back is sore.

This.  Limbing is 100x better with a longer bar.  I run a 550xp now.  When the XP line came out with auto tune, I felt they were the better saws for what I was doing, and the power cutters at the time outran everything by a long ways.  I run a 16" bar on it most of the time and can bury it hardwood for a plunge cut when falling.  It can run a 20" bar fine, and longer than that is meant for limbing only.  It is as reliable as it was the day it was purchased 9 years ago.  The power cutters have been used on steel, concrete, and masonry ever since and it is a tank.  I ran stihl, makitas, and huskies side by side and it is no contest.  Just go to some arborist forums and read up on the latest and greatest.  Saw shops that service both brands will give you the best guidance.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline birdshooter1189

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 10:51:17 PM »
One thing I’ve noticed since I moved out west is the size of the saws people use out here.  Growing up back East, we cut a lot of wood. Heated our house solely with wood through winter where it got real cold. Hardwoods too. Oak, maple, hickory, etc. My dad and grandfather had saws with 20” bars and cut everything with them.  I cut all the trees off my grandfathers property and cleared for his house with a 20” saw. Why’s everybody gotta have saws with gigantic bars on them out here? I mean I get the loggers and the pros but seems like folks have a thing for oversized saws they don’t really need. Aren’t they just heavier after a day in the woods?

:yeah:

I used to work for a tree service company and have operated and worked on chainsaws quite a bit.  Mostly stihl.

I have 4 saws, 28" bar, 25" bar, 20" bar, and 18" bar.  I use the saw with a 18" bar 80% of the time.  I'm 6'5" so I understand the argument of having a long bar so you don't have to bend over to de-limb logs.  But I do so much delimbing, cutting small stuff, hacking and slashing blackberries and brush....the weight of the bigger saws wears me out much quicker.  80% of the cuts I make are 10" diameter or less.  But occasionally I cut 2'+ diameter logs and I have the saws for that too.

Another benefit to a shorter bar is that the chain doesn't come off as easily.  When delimbing, cutting back brush from the base of a tree, etc, sometimes small branches or things grab the chain and try to throw it off the bar. 

And I also second the previous comment that shorter bars take less time to sharpen a chain.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2020, 06:05:54 AM »
As a kid in Pennsylvania, getting firewood ready was just a part of life. We started pulling out wood as soon as the little tractor wouldn't sink & get stuck. I'd help family friends with their wood and make a few $$. Spent a lot of time in the woods. Learned a lot. Agree with above statements, 20" seemed very popular, and rarely needed anything bigger. Dad had an old saw with a longer bar on it that he would pull out once in a while for some bigger trees. I remember that old saw looking very intimidating and heavy! Much of our wood came from storm damage rarely encountering anything a 20" wouldn't handle. I was never on the saw cutting, I always was filling the trailer, on the splitter and stacking. Saws were for the adults. People had Huskys and Stihl for the most part, but I also remember folks using a plane old Craftsmen saws as well. I bought a new saw a few years ago. Got a Huskey, with a 16" bar. Starts and cuts great. I like the Husqvarna saws.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2020, 08:32:17 AM »
As a kid in Pennsylvania, getting firewood ready was just a part of life. We started pulling out wood as soon as the little tractor wouldn't sink & get stuck. I'd help family friends with their wood and make a few $$. Spent a lot of time in the woods. Learned a lot. Agree with above statements, 20" seemed very popular, and rarely needed anything bigger. Dad had an old saw with a longer bar on it that he would pull out once in a while for some bigger trees. I remember that old saw looking very intimidating and heavy! Much of our wood came from storm damage rarely encountering anything a 20" wouldn't handle. I was never on the saw cutting, I always was filling the trailer, on the splitter and stacking. Saws were for the adults. People had Huskys and Stihl for the most part, but I also remember folks using a plane old Craftsmen saws as well. I bought a new saw a few years ago. Got a Huskey, with a 16" bar. Starts and cuts great. I like the Husqvarna saws.

Sounds like our childhoods were very similar. I remember lots of good times spent on our wood lot. Hot dogs on a stick over the fire burning brush, splitting wood while my pop cut it.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2020, 08:35:38 AM »
I still get my grandpas old McCulloch out once in a while, I watched that thing cut a lot of wood when I was a kid  :)

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2020, 08:37:41 AM »
I am, they leaks bar oil basically fresh out the box.
Still my favorite saw though.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal