collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020 Deer post em here  (Read 151390 times)

Offline Fatherof5

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: 2020 Deer post em here
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2020, 09:13:33 AM »
Nicely done!

Offline Bowhunter35

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, MDF, WA Bowhunters
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2020, 05:19:42 PM »
This is my first Archery Deer in WA. A little Blacktail Doe from Orcas Island. Got Backstraps and about 25 lbs of ground off of her.
Hoyt Helix

"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."
- Fred Bear

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2020, 05:54:05 PM »
Good eats.  Enjoy!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline BLDtraLR

• BLOODTRAILER or BLDtraLR for short
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
  • }--->$ Mathews V3X Wishin i was on a bloodtrail
  • Groups: Washington ST archery Pope & Young club
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2020, 08:24:58 PM »
There are bigger deer running around my hunting area (see the 5x6 and 5x5 in the Target Buck thread), but I couldn't pass up a 15 yard chip shot on this nice 4x4. 100 grain RAD broadhead on an Autumn Orange FMJ fired from a 2015 Martin Lithium LTD with a MBG Accent Whitetail sight and QAD rest made for a 35 yard recovery after slicing through both lungs. I got it on video but it's pretty dark (FIRST thing in the morning on Sunday the 13th).

And my deer loading platform worked GREAT! No more struggling to load a deer solo!
Nice deer congrats  :tup:   That's how i used to do my solo loads now i strap the deer to a spine board and use a warn 2000 portable winch chained to the front load hooks on my truck so much easier pulls them rite in.
}---->$  Always on the money with the Mathews DLD/V3X

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2020, 11:28:53 PM »
High buck success! 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:46:40 AM by Rainier10 »

Offline ganghis

• Scout
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2020, 12:32:06 AM »
backstory:

I had set aside Fri-Tues for the high hunt.  Free of family and work obligations, my only choice was where to go.  I had narrowed it down to 2 places.  Both I had been to several times.  My first choice was a spot that usually has *some* game, and I'd shot a bear there before.  I'd always seen deer there, just no legal deer.  The second was a spot I knew had deer, but the last time I went there was flagging going down the creek bottom until close to the access trail, a clear sign that other hunters knew about it.  Would they be there at the opener, and no deer would be left.  The weather was better at the second spot, but even though I knew I'd be fighting the fog and rain I went for spot #1.  Figured I'd have a good chance at a bear, and a buck would be an outside chance but a possibility.

Drove my kids to YMCA Fri morning, and headed up to the trailhead.  Made fairly quick work of the 9 miles in.  At the 6 mile marker I could have tried a stalk on a bear I saw about a mile away but was running low on water, I hadn't set up camp, it was a few hours until dark, and there was a storm coming in.  So decided to 'save it for the next day' and make it until camp (9 miles in).  I half expected some guys with stock to be up there, but they weren't... but there was another fella in the camp spot I wanted to take.  But he was an awesome sport and we shared the area.  Then the fog rolled in, like 100 yd visibility.  We each headed in different directions to stake a spot for a dusk hunt, but it was terrible.  Visibility alternating between 40 yards and 120 yards, maybe.  Nothing doing.

Day 2 we each started the morning in similar areas.  Me up on a ridge, him on a bench.  Visibility was terrible again, and worse higher up where I was.  My fateful partner saw a few does feeding up and bedding in a meadow.  I saw nothing but wet blueberry bushes, fog, and bear *censored*.  After that morning, I headed to camp and grabbed a cup of coffee, bailed out my light weight 1 man tent, and headed east towards some promising blueberry meadows...they looked promising for bear anyway which I figured at this point was my most likely option.   But, nothing.  10 miles logged that day.  Headed back to camp, I felt dejected as the fog bailed in even more.  All day, it was 100-400 yard visibility...mostly on the 100 side.  And it seemed to be getting worse.  And I kept thinking about the bear I'd whimped out on the day before.  Would that be my only opportunity this trip.  Maybe I'd just skip the dusk hunt, and drink the mini gatorade bottle I'd refilled with tequila?  But, despite the loud sound I was making through wet blueberry bushes brushing against my rain pants, I habitually slowed down as I came into one of the last small meadows before camp. 

Holy crap!  There was a wide body buck just there staring at me broad side, 80 yards away!  Just guessing because I lost my range finder earlier that day, but he looked huge.  I had a judgment call to make.  Just looking at me, there was no way to tell how many points he had on either side.  But, judging from his large body, and how wide his antlers were, I knew he was a mature buck.  For the first time in my life, I shot without ascertaining his point count (I've passed up many a buck for this very reason).  It was a poor shot, really. I did go down to a kneeling position, but rushed it for sure.  The shot went off, and as he wheeled and seemed to stumble I was confident I'd hit him, but not how well.   I waited for a few minutes, but cognizant that I had a few hours until sundown I slowly headed up to try to track him.  I saw a few recent tracks in the direction he went, and found a leaf with a flea-sized speck of blood.  Okay, he's hit, I thought.  Then another 10 feet and another flea-sized speck of blood.  At this rate, I could be in for a long trail.  And it had started to rain.

At that point, I searched for the next likely path.  And noticed a ghost-white buck to my my left, seemingly hiding under a fallen tree to my left.  He gave out one last dying breath and was done.  Yes!!

I'll spare some details on the rest of the story, but those who've done this know it was when the real work began.  My newfound hunter friend helped process the deer, which was a big help.  Comraderie in the field!  I'm no stranger to schadenfreude on high buck, but that's awesome when you can get each other's back.  The next day after I boned out the meat (and he helped me with the sawing off the skull cap with my tiny saw), we parted ways.  I took a whole pack (camp + meat) about a mile and a half until the first big incline, then ferried meat the rest of the way over that day and the next.  I stupidly tried a stock on the bears (now two) in the field I'd seen earlier.  I smelled like deer blood and jungle rotted feet, the air wasn't moving, and I crashed through brush and berry bushes and had to do the "veggie belay" often with poor results to get there.  Needless to say the bears were gone when I got there, but at least I know a better route next time.  Glad I didn't have  another long round trip of carrying meat the next day.  Having enough trouble walking today as it is!

Thanks for listening.  Well, reading really.  Over and out.

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2020, 05:48:42 AM »
The high hunt can be quite the adventure. Even challenging with this years smoke. Key is to not listen to arrogant think they know it all hunters who try to deter you from hunting their so called "area" :tup:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 06:08:28 AM by Onewhohikes »

Offline westside bull

• Scout
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2020, 06:04:09 AM »
Awesome buck

Offline Sutherland

• Longhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2020, 06:07:27 AM »
Beautiful buck! Nice work, well done.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2020, 06:28:08 AM »
Couple of really nice high hunt bucks  :tup:

Offline Fatherof5

• Scout
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2020, 07:14:18 AM »
Nicely done! Congratulations!

Offline archerykraze

• Hunter
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2020, 08:10:25 AM »
Those are some great High Hunt Bucks, Congrats!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2020, 08:21:59 AM »
That one is a toad!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Platensek-po

• Sourdough
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2020, 08:23:38 AM »
The high hunt can be quite the adventure. Even challenging with this years smoke.

Nice buck! Really like the color on the antlers.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline ganghis

• Scout
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2020, 08:54:14 AM »
The high hunt can be quite the adventure. Even challenging with this years smoke.

Nice work man, congrats!  Looks like you won the battle of the Napequa  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]