collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winter Steelhead  (Read 5246 times)

Offline J.Brower

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Winter Steelhead
« on: November 21, 2020, 07:19:08 PM »
Anyone get out much in the winter for metal heads? It’s been a few years since I’ve hit it hard and thinking I should dust off the float rod and spend some time this winter on the crik. Never done real good, but always have a good time on the smaller rivers looking for a needle in a haystack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Winter Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 08:08:28 PM »
Better do it.
Fishing on hatchery fish?

Offline 87Ford

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 08:16:35 PM »
Forgetaboutit, at least for hatchery fish in the Puget Sound rivers..  :twocents:

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,246083.0.html

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 08:35:22 PM »
Wanna sell that 87?

Offline J.Brower

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 09:12:51 PM »
Better do it.
Fishing on hatchery fish?
Depends on the location. Couple places open next month that don’t have many hatchery fish left. Mainly just whatever bites that day, or doesn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 09:28:18 PM »
Good luck.
I hope we get some returning fish.
We shall see or another sled might hit the market.  Lol

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 10:19:56 PM »
I normally fish 2-3 days a week in the winter chasing steelhead. I try to stay away from the “hot spots” and find mine own little stretch of water. I primarily swing spoons and every once in a while grab the spay rod. The take on spoons and a swung fly are in my opinion way more intense than drift or float fishing.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 10:35:43 PM »
I have on trips to Idaho, just before Clarkston, seen them out on the water. always wanted to. Then in the Clearwater too... I may have with dad on the shore around Chief Timothy park but never in a boat.  :(
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 10:37:45 PM »
It's a thorn in my side. I've logged well over 1000 days winter steelhead fishing. Last year I went one time. My home rivers have virtually no hatchery fish left and are not open for catch and release. I could head to the peninsula but fishing in the parade and beating up the few fish returning there doesn't feel right either. It's a tough one. I may finally be coming to terms with the saying, "If you truly love something, let it go." Makes me sad my son most likely won't see even then modest steelhead fishing I was able to experience growing up.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 11:14:08 PM »
I feel ya R Dog.
Let's go catch some fish.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 11:33:32 PM »
It's a thorn in my side. I've logged well over 1000 days winter steelhead fishing. Last year I went one time. My home rivers have virtually no hatchery fish left and are not open for catch and release. I could head to the peninsula but fishing in the parade and beating up the few fish returning there doesn't feel right either. It's a tough one. I may finally be coming to terms with the saying, "If you truly love something, let it go." Makes me sad my son most likely won't see even then modest steelhead fishing I was able to experience growing up.

Well said! +1
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 04:40:30 AM »

I feel the same. Sad.

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 07:47:26 AM »
I made this same decision about 10 years ago.  I really miss Steelhead fishing!
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline chukar58

• Hunter
  • What's in your freezer?
  • Groups: Washington State Bowhunters, RMEF
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 08:02:18 AM »
December 2013 I fished the Sky and caught a nice steelhead and was thrilled.  While reflecting of the past decades of Winter Steelheading and how the fishery had changed so much the sick feeling this would be my last winterrun fish from the Sky set in.   I miss the glory days of Winter Steelheading.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 08:16:11 AM »
i've also really tapered off my steelhead fishing in the past 5 years, hell, it's probably been closer to 10 now.  especially this time of year, wdfw in their infinite wisdom stopped planting most of the little rivers i loved fishing that had early returning fish.  my favorite of all was the grays, just not many rivers where you can walk for miles and catch fish.  sadly, that one is now a "sanctuary" river.

the places with any catchable numbers of fish left just get so crowded that i get turned off to it really quick now.  i would have once considered myself a "hardcore" steelheader, but it seems what people will put themselves through is more than i'm willing to put in.  i've got a wife and a couple little kids at home and i have to really budget what little free time i have these days.  if i need to get out and scratch the itch i usually just go down and troll around the lake for trout, or sit on the hook with a diver out on the chehalis, the results are usually the same :chuckle:
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Deadeyety
[Today at 05:12:44 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]